Gransnet forums

Chat

In the cup or in the pot

(72 Posts)
Worthingpatchworkers Wed 10-Feb-16 11:26:46

I know I am not the only one but, being a nation of tea drinkers what is the consensus......tea bag in the cup or pop it in the tea pot. I, personally, dislike tea made in the cup as the flavour of the bag is intensified versus made in a teapot. I have a one person teapot for the mornings and, a great benefit is, it actually makes more than a mug full of tea so....bonus....better value. Mind you....I did grow up with tea leaves as the only option.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 10-Feb-16 11:36:21

Putting the teabag in the mug does seem to ruin the mugs over time. I'm sure they stain more. Perhaps there is something in tea that cuts into the glaze.

I have one of those teapots that sits on top of the cup. I was going to Oxfam it as I don't bother with it. Perhaps, on thinking about it, I will give it a try. I can't take tea too strong anymore as it aggravates my health condition.

petallus Wed 10-Feb-16 11:42:49

If I'm being lazy the teabag goes in the (large) mug. If I can be bothered I use a teapot. The tea stays hotter and there isn't that unpleasant scum which sometimes forms when the teabag is sitting brewing in the mug.

Nonnie1 Wed 10-Feb-16 11:52:27

I loves a nice cup of tea made in a teapot with a milk jug and cup and saucer.

I do this when I have time. The tea seems to taste nicer that way.

Otherwise I do the bag in the mug when I have less time.

I think it's a question of mind over matter smile

tanith Wed 10-Feb-16 12:03:48

Its bag in a mug mostly but I do have a pot and if I've the inclination it does taste better in a pot. My pot is quite large I did wonder the other day if I could us a clean small glass cafetiere to brew just one mug or would if it would taste nasty ..

Indinana Wed 10-Feb-16 12:07:47

I do always just put the teabag in the mug - even if I'm making tea for 2 or 3 people, which is really stupid now I think about it. Especially given that I have 2 teapots blush.
jings after reading your post I might just make the effort to change my ways. It had never occurred to me that it was this that was staining my cups, but I think you could be right.

kittylester Wed 10-Feb-16 12:13:56

Leaves, teapot, China mug and strainer everytime. We have an old 'brown betty' style pot (which is actually dark blue!) for when it's more than me having tea and a 1 person white China pot for when it's only me!

DH isn't quite as fussy sophisticated and will make it in a mug with a bag if he is on his own. I hate the scummy dust that comes with a bag.

hildajenniJ Wed 10-Feb-16 12:26:49

I have a teapot, it lives in the China cabinet! My teabag goes directly into the mug, and if DH is making it, the milk goes in with it before the boiling water. (This is just wrong)! I only use the teapot if we have guests, which doesn't happen very often

LullyDully Wed 10-Feb-16 12:29:17

Teapot every time. Just tastes better and makes a second cuppa.

Maranta Wed 10-Feb-16 12:34:11

Same here, teapot every time as I use a giant mug. Sometimes with a teabag and sometimes with loose tea in a plastic net thingy.

aggie Wed 10-Feb-16 12:40:19

I still use tea leaves , much to the amazement of any guests , but they do say I make a lovely cuppa smile a strainer is essential for guests but I don't bother when we are alone , china mugs are nicer than pottery

Tizliz Wed 10-Feb-16 14:47:19

teabag free house here. Leaf tea only - Twinings - and I have to buy it direct as this part of Scotland seem to only drink really weak tea from bags. It is my little luxury.

rubysong Wed 10-Feb-16 14:55:25

Teapots of almost sizes here, from one person up to village hall size. Pretty China one for when we have our ladies tea party. The one person one allows for a couple of top ups. grin

cornergran Wed 10-Feb-16 15:02:51

Tea pot every time.

Synonymous Wed 10-Feb-16 15:11:08

I am with leaves, teapot, china and strainer and all so much nicer. smile

MrsJamJam Wed 10-Feb-16 16:54:41

Leaves, pot, bone china cup and saucer. Have a lovely new pot with an infuser inside so no need for a separate strainer. Tea tastes better from bone china!

Greymary Wed 10-Feb-16 17:56:17

Teabag straight into my mug here. Just me on my own, and I often go off and do a chore while I'm waiting and quite forget I've made it! So I pop it into the microwave to heat it up when I rediscover it !

If I have a visitor then I use a pot - I have several. I do find the Denby teapot difficult to lift nowadays though.

I visualize others sitting down to a cup of tea, but for me it's something on the go usually. Quick, sweet, strong and hot.

Stansgran Wed 10-Feb-16 17:56:58

I have at the last count ten teapots and all in use except one which is crazed inside but sentimental and one which is part of a teaset for a dozen people. I like my tea and matching cups or mugs and make it a bit of a ceremony. I don't like tea I love tea.

dorsetpennt Wed 10-Feb-16 18:41:04

I always use loose tea in a teapot and always in a cup.. The old fashioned way. I was once offered tea that had cold water and a tea bag in the mug to be heated in the microwave. I also, at home, drink proper coffee, I loathe instant.

reikilady Wed 10-Feb-16 21:36:57

I just chuck a bag in a mug, I have tried to make posh tea in a pot and find that it goes cold quicker, I would have to make a tea cosy, also, the extra washing up of pot cups, saucers and spoons make me shudder. If Im visiting anyone I love a 'proper' cup but even my posh friend uses a mug and bag.

Jomarie Wed 10-Feb-16 21:48:36

I'm the same as Petallus - it's all a question of time and/or inclination really. I saw a lovely cup and saucer in Sainsbury's yesterday and was sorely tempted to buy it just for me. Resisted though and bought some clothes for DGS instead! Silly me........ confused

Tizliz Thu 11-Feb-16 09:46:22

This thread made me think about how much I spend on tea so I did a quick add up and it is about £200 a year. Is that excessive? It is mainly me who drinks it, OH prefers coffee.

witchygran Thu 11-Feb-16 10:16:44

Always a teapot, whether OH here or not! Definitely tastes much nicer. I use my mother's heavy, stainless steel teapot, donkey's years old, which keeps the tea hot for ages. I always use a tea cosy as well. You can buy such pretty, well-padded ones these days.

Granddaughter Thu 11-Feb-16 10:19:07

I love my cuppa, but it is always the Teapot every time. Just tastes better and makes a great second cuppa.

Bluesmum Thu 11-Feb-16 10:27:54

Always, always, always in a teapot and a bone chine cup and saucer please. I do on occasion use a mug, but that also just has to be bone china! I am not a snob, but I really do think the tea tastes so much better when drunk from chinaware!