Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Dry hands

(57 Posts)
gammon Fri 07-Aug-15 11:26:14

My hands are looking decidedly 'old' of late. I've changed to Ecover dishwashing liquid and I think I may have to switch back to something else. I thought it would be less harsh than other brands but I'm not sure...
I know I should wear gloves but it never seems worth it for a few little bits.

Anyway, I'd really like some good hand cream recommendations? At the moment I'm just using a Bayliss and Harding hand cream that we had in the downstairs loo but I suspect I should be using something better. What does everybody else use? Would you recommend it?

granin Fri 07-Aug-15 12:23:37

Hi gammon, i got a lovely one from my daughter a while ago. It's from the body shop and is the moringa one - smells lovely

I also use elizabeth arden 8 hour hand cream, which is wonderful stuff (expensive though!). I'm constantly washing my hands at work, but it really does help them not to dry out. hope that helps

gammon Fri 07-Aug-15 12:42:10

Thanks granin I've been looking for an excuse to try this wondrous 8 hour cream everyone raves about. Birthday coming up next month, maybe I'll hint to his lordship... grin

LyndaW Fri 07-Aug-15 12:45:09

Neutrogena hand cream. £2 something at Boots. Like a thick serum but sinks in quickly and hands feel lovely afterwards. Even DH keeps nicking it (but would never admit it of course).

Tegan Fri 07-Aug-15 12:53:04

Don't want to nag but you really should wear gloves for washing up. Even washing up once without gloves makes my hands to go red and sore. However, failing that [nag over] Neutrogena really is good. I was surprised at how medicinal Eight Hour Cream smelt. I've just bought some olive oil soap from Holland and Barrett. Used to buy it when we had holidays in Greece but had never found it in shops over here till I saw it in H&B at the weekend. Really gentle on the skin.

Ana Fri 07-Aug-15 12:59:33

I bought a small tube of Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour cream on special offer, but couldn't use it because of the smell! This was the face cream - I don't know how people can bear it. I'm assuming the hand cream smells the same...

Tegan Fri 07-Aug-15 13:24:56

Yes, it does; it's really gooey as well, isn't it? I'd try to get some sort of free sample before splashing out on it. I bought a job lot round Christmas time cause the S.O. gets double discount with Boots sometimes but haven't used it much. Having said that I'd always wanted to try it [along with creme de la mere [sp]] that Trinny and Suzanna were always raving on about;haven't bought that yet as it's even more expensive than 8 Hour Cream].

gammon Fri 07-Aug-15 13:48:09

Sigh, Tegan I know you're right about the gloves.

So, now I'm intrigued by the 8 hour cream? Is it worth it - or not? Even if you didn't like the consistency/smell, did it at least work?

MiniMouse Fri 07-Aug-15 14:29:49

I use Allergenics cream and they do ointment as well for really sore skin. Unscented, as near natural as possible and not expensive!

ninathenana Fri 07-Aug-15 14:30:18

Would it not be worth saving up your few little bits and donning gloves to wash up once a day gammon ?

gammon Fri 07-Aug-15 14:36:47

Oh, ninathenana Not you too! It's not just the washing up that's causing dryness and a few spots. I'm not that lazy grin. Ok, maybe I am. Think it may also have to do with my increasing years...

LullyDully Fri 07-Aug-15 15:12:33

The maroon Dove for the aged is pretty good and best bought when on offer. I find I'm allergic to the hand wash including the one for sensitive skin so am back to soap. Do you wear rubber gloves ?

hildajenniJ Fri 07-Aug-15 16:08:09

I use Avon's royal jelly hand cream. It is very good. I get a patch of eczema on the palm of my left hand. (Strange place for eczema) and it keeps thatvat bay, and my hands really smooth.

ninathenana Fri 07-Aug-15 17:36:36

Sorry I didn't mean to imply in any way that your lazy.
I was only trying to help sad

ginny Fri 07-Aug-15 18:08:41

I find hand cream with glycerine or royal jelly in it does the trick. You should use it after each time your hands have been in water. A good application at bed time too.

ginny Fri 07-Aug-15 18:09:17

I find hand cream with glycerine or royal jelly in it does the trick (Avon is good). You should use it after each time your hands have been in water. A good application at bed time too.

ginny Fri 07-Aug-15 18:09:38

Sorry, double post !

tinaf1 Fri 07-Aug-15 18:50:02

Burt Bees or I really like Atrixo been around for years good luck

loopylou Fri 07-Aug-15 19:07:55

I find Eight Hour Cream smell very off putting, it smells so strongly of petroleum hmm
The best hand cream I've ever used is Vaseline's 'Healthy hands and stronger nails', it's amazingly good and sorted out my weak nails. It isn't at all greasy.
Failing that try Waitrose's a Baby Bottom Butter, last thing at night - cheap and additives-free.

Tegan Fri 07-Aug-15 19:17:36

I've got some gloves that I bought from M&S that you wear at night after applying hand cream. Not sure if they help but they at least stop me rubbing my eyes when I've got bits of Pernaton or Voltarol on my fingers [ouch].

Nelliemoser Fri 07-Aug-15 19:33:53

Aqueous Cream BP is a good and inexpensive moisturiser and it is not perfumed. I can't abide perfumed anything on my face.

All it has is Liquid Paraffin and White Soft Paraffin but it does not smell. Most chemists sell it about £4 for 500grms.
At that price you ahev no qualms about slapping it on. It might be a bit thin for hands if you want it as a barrier cream though.

Frannygranny Fri 07-Aug-15 20:48:33

Hi gammon, I swear by Clarins Hand and Nail Cream. I've used it for years and even though it's a bit pricey a little goes a long way. So far I don't have any age spots on my hands and I think it's the cream that has helped.

rosesarered Fri 07-Aug-15 21:02:35

Hello Gammon, I very rarely use gloves for washing up, and always use the regular Fairy Liquid.I once strayed from it and used the lemon Fairy, and my hands became awful.I use soap from the garden centre, the attractive slices in all colours/scents and they are so gentle that I hardly ever use hand cream, but when I do it's from the Neutragena range, the pink one!

Tegan Fri 07-Aug-15 22:06:55

Aqueous cream was slated on Trust Me I'm a Doctor the other week as it can cause eczema rather than prevent it because it contains the dreaded Sodium Laurel Sulphate.

gammon Sun 09-Aug-15 08:41:17

Thank you for the suggestions. I forgot about Atrixo. Haven't used that in years but I remember being impressed by it. And ninathenana, I know you weren't accusing me of being lazy - that was my own self assessment! grin.