Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Serums - an expensive waste of money?

(96 Posts)
Anya Sun 06-Mar-16 09:27:04

Every so often I think I ought to make more of an effort. My typical 'beauty' routine is very basic. But a couple of times over the years I've splashed out on face serums, only to find that not only do they not work, for me, but they actually make my skin look older.

Rather than being one of the '84% of woman (out of a sample of 173) agree that this product visibily improved the appearance of wrinkles' I must be one of the 26% who disagree.

Or is it a case of the Emperor's New Clothes?

If revert to my usual basic skin care routine my skin definitely picks up again hmm

Anya Sun 06-Mar-16 09:27:50

16% !

Luckygirl Sun 06-Mar-16 09:30:09

Ignore the ads. Do what is best for you.

My DD just splashed out on a facial as it was the first day since birth of babe that she had some time to herself. Her skin is still recovering a week later as she reacted to the lotions that they used.

NonnaW Sun 06-Mar-16 09:31:09

I agree, I have tried a few products which claim to visibly reduce fine lines and wrinkles and I notice no difference whatsoever. Some feel nicer than others n the skin, but don't always justify the sometimes huge price tag.

seacliff Sun 06-Mar-16 09:41:46

I started using a serum about 10 years ago, when I felt my face cream wasn't moisturising enough. I found they sink in quickly and I can feel the difference. Sometimes I just use the serum. I don't usually bother with any night cream

However I just use a (award winning) serum from Aldi, about £3, or Superdrug, still under £5. So far I have few wrinkles, possibly because I am overweight so have a fattish face!

Teetime Sun 06-Mar-16 09:45:58

I just find the price of serum prohibitive. I used a cheaper one i.e. Boots own and it did nothing. I have had a few samples of Clarins and it was very nice and soothing on my dry bits but cant justify the cost about £75 I think.

M0nica Sun 06-Mar-16 10:00:47

What are serums? I have seen them advertised but always suspected it was a way of trying to sell punters something ordinary with an enhanced price.

I have a dry skin and have always found that lots of moisteriser, any moisteriser, massaged in several minutes a day keeps my skin looking and feeling great.

annsixty Sun 06-Mar-16 10:29:20

I started using the Aldi one as I wouldn't spend a lot on them. I had left it rather late!!
However I don't think it "did much" for me and I am back on whichever Moisture cream is on offer when I need it. Currently Olay.

Anya Sun 06-Mar-16 10:57:13

That's my routine Ann ...cleanse and use whichever reputable moisturiser is on offer....currently Nivea in my Boots.

annsixty Sun 06-Mar-16 11:27:40

I would post a photograph of my exquisite young looking skin but sadly my hair needs washing ?

TriciaF Sun 06-Mar-16 14:15:43

I've mentioned this on here before:
Ialoset cream
My doctor prescribed it when I had a skin wound on my leg and it healed up fast. It's supposed to be the basis of all anti-aging ceams.
I haven't tried in on my face though.

TriciaF Sun 06-Mar-16 14:17:15

First link failed:
www.avibon.com/Hyaluronic-Acid-Cream-Ialuset-100g-w-Free-Shipping-Tracking-3401076312351.htm

tiredoldwoman Sun 06-Mar-16 18:28:35

I was given Aldi's serum today for Mother's Day . My daughter has started using it and says it's great , but she's young and beautiful anyway .
I'm going to start using it tonight and will report back in a month !!

Nelliemoser Sun 06-Mar-16 23:53:54

Have you ever tried to find out what substances are in the so called serums
In some serums the main ingredient: Hyaluronic Acid is snail slime.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snail_slime

www.natureworldnews.com/articles/2998/20130716/snail-facials-unlikely-much-effect-dermatologists.htm

WilmaKnickersfit Mon 07-Mar-16 00:33:43

Snail slime? Only by a few wacky companies maybe! grin

Hyaluronic Acid (HA) is found all over our bodies. It's in our skin tissue, which is why it's now in skin care products, but the HA used is synthetic, definitely not snail slime. It's about the best thing you can get to boost the moisture content of your skin and it helps prevent your skin drying out too. It has lots of medical uses too, because of its repair abilities.

Anya I've been trying to find a serum recently too, for the same reasons too. I've tried a few cheaper ones like the ones Aldi does and one by Palmer's, the cocoa butter lotion people, but I can't see any difference in my skin.

I'm not too bothered about wrinkles, although I admit I don't have many, just crow's feet laughter lines around my eyes. I would like to improve the appearance of my skin and that's what started me on my search.

Trouble is, the ingredients in the ones I can afford won't deliver what they promise (I use Beautypedia a lot). I can't bring myself to fork out for the ones that are most likely to make a difference. sad

HA is in some foods and you can buy it as a supplement, but I'm not sure if you can get any benefit from eating it. confused

joolz1954 Mon 07-Mar-16 07:56:50

hi
i took part in one of the testings on a particular well known serum a couple of years ago. it involved serious photography, that is close up, makeup less, intense photographs of all my face. i was then invited to look at the photographs and make a series of statements about the state of my skin.
i was then sent home with two creams, one for each side of my face. i used these for three weeks or so and went back and had the same photos taken. i then had to make statements about each side of my face.

as soon as i looked at the photos, it was blindingly obvious that one side was less crumply than the other. the fine lines were less defines and the deeper lines were not so obvious
since that day, i have used that serum. sometimes with cream, often without. i suppose im one of the ones it works for but i wouldnt dream of missing out on that part of my daily ablutions.

Anya Mon 07-Mar-16 08:24:32

Wima the serums I've tried have been mid-range ones, Boots, L'Oreal, etc. Perhaps if I'd been prepared to splash out £100 I'd have seen a difference.

joolz - perhaps indeed there is a difference discernable under 'close up....intense photography' but I'm thinking 'visible results' ought to mean visible to the naked eye.

But love the use of the word 'crumply' grin

WilmaKnickersfit Mon 07-Mar-16 23:56:46

Anya that's the problem isn't it? I don't want to pay that much, in fact, I'm pretty sure I don't care enough to pay that much. confused There's no guarantee with any of the products around and I can't afford to keep paying to try. Some dermatologists say using dirt cheap aqueous cream as a moisturiser and a high factor sun screen will do more than anything else you can buy. hmm

joolz how interesting. Any chance you could share the name of the serum? wink

gettingonabit Tue 08-Mar-16 08:27:24

I'm confused about serums too. I thought the whole point of the was to provide a base for makeup, not necessarily to improve one's skin. I'm quite a fan of Protect and Perfect, but not sure if it actually works as such. I have greasy skin and the cheaper ones seem to add to the greasyness for me.

On the Hyaluronic Acid, I'm never sure how much of it is actually in products. Is there a way of telling? Back in the day, it was possible to buy it on the internet in concentrated form. Not sure any more; I can't see the wood for the trees now!

I, too, would LOVE to know what joolz's product iswink.

annsixty Tue 08-Mar-16 09:20:20

Another one here to whom it doesn't really matter. I use moisture cream because I don't like the feeling of dry skin and the twice a month I use foundation I think it goes on better with a base. We really should get over the idea that people are judging us on our looks. They are mostly concerned with how they themselves look.

Teetime Tue 08-Mar-16 09:21:55

joolz1954 what is it - don't leave us dangling like that.

Teacher11 Tue 08-Mar-16 10:38:31

I use the Boots one which is meant to make a difference. Still look like a pug.

NannyVL Tue 08-Mar-16 10:43:56

I have inherited my Mums good complexion, she used Ponds cold cream every day till she died ay 92, still had lovely skin, I have always used oil of olay, used to be the lotion, when I turned 60 switched to anti wrinkle formula, its only £10 for 2 and works great, I have very few wrinkles but that may be down to being a bit chubby!

GranE Tue 08-Mar-16 10:59:23

The Aldi stuff is really good - and cheap.

Palermo54 Tue 08-Mar-16 11:07:04

Amazon sell Ialuset cream for £13.10