Gransnet forums

Style & beauty

Dresses with sleeves

(78 Posts)
Album1 Fri 08-Apr-11 10:15:55

It's impossible to find decent summer dresses with short sleeves. You'd think someone would have realised by now that the tops of my arms are not something that should be allowed out in public.

Cycle6 Fri 08-Apr-11 14:16:14

I have this dress which I wear ALL THE TIME. but maybe that's not quite summery enough?

RoobyMurray Thu 05-May-11 10:24:58

Phase Eight and Boden do sleeves. More so in winter though.

Avocado Thu 05-May-11 10:35:58

I think there will be a lot more sleeved frocks in the shops now the Duchess of Cambridge has expressed a firm preference for sleeves.

jiggerypokery Thu 05-May-11 12:42:40

There doesn't seem to be many t shirts with short sleeves in either - I have bingo wings - but I don't want to advertise the fact!

stickybackplastic Thu 05-May-11 13:07:07

I have often seen trendy dresses with sleeves but they are always too short. Designers should realise that many of us have good disposable incomes and therefore it would be worth making the effort to design for us.

carboncareful Thu 05-May-11 14:41:56

What's the matter with you all? Just wear a shrug that has sleeves - this season it must be croqueted of course.

carboncareful Thu 05-May-11 14:44:00

What's the matter with you all? Just wear a shrug that has sleeves - this season it must be croqueted of course.

supernana Thu 05-May-11 14:47:18

A shrug or pashmina or short lightweight cape work well if you really need to wear a sleeveless outfit.

Gabriella Thu 05-May-11 14:53:25

'Armpits to the audience' as my musician daughter puts it, is never a good look at any stage. No sleeves no sale as far as I'm concerned - except for swim suits.

Lancashirelass Thu 05-May-11 15:27:46

So true, Gabriella. Shrugs are all very well, but they are very close to cardigans !!!

I want some good-looking dresses that hang from the shoulders, not bunched or stretched over the waist (what waist?) smile

dorsetpennt Thu 05-May-11 16:06:09

Where have you looked? I've found dresses with cap sleeves. Failing that wear a skirt and blouse instead

lizh Thu 05-May-11 17:04:27

croqueted? with a mallet and hoop?

jangly Thu 05-May-11 19:06:17

Perhaps we all need to diet? grin Or exercise more?

edam Thu 05-May-11 19:08:37

Manufacturers have realised if they make all their tops and dresses sleeveless, we'll have to buy shrugs as well. Double the profit! Swindlers, all of them...

GrannyJ Thu 05-May-11 19:55:00

I think dresses with sleeves mid way between shoulder and elbow are very flattering. Also I find it difficult to find little girls dresses with sleeves, or shoulders they all seem to have grown up thin straps, or am I being too old fashioned in wanting to keep my six year old grand daughter looking like a little girl and not a teenager?.

Liz08 Thu 05-May-11 20:03:11

I agree about the sleeves mid way between elbows and shoulders - not too close fitting though cos of the bingo wings. The mention of which by Jiggery Pokery made me go check out the Yoga page ...... nah.. can't be arsed.
I've got a glass of wine instead. Cheers!

Liz08 Thu 05-May-11 20:14:09

wine

Harebrain Thu 05-May-11 20:21:00

For the best selection of t-shirts online, Kettlewell Colours are brilliant! Sleeves of all lengths, necklines of all shapes, and an amazing array of colours.

GrannyJ Thu 05-May-11 20:31:39

Just checked out Kettlewells web page I will definately add to my favourites, the selection of colours is amazing and the quality looks good.

bluegran Thu 05-May-11 21:01:27

Hi I had the same problem and found a little black shrug with long sleeves, it did the trick!

evesdottir Thu 05-May-11 21:42:37

It's not just the lack of sleeves, it's the width ! I quite often find attractive shirts and tops but have had to return so many to the shop when I find I can't get my arms into the sleeves - and they're not THAT fat.Often the shop assistant will agree with me and say that they get a lot of garments returned for just that reason.

Jan Fri 06-May-11 08:14:21

I'm with jiggerypokery re the "wings".

Even M & S (the one time home of the "classic" look) have either frumpy short sleeve T shirts or cap sleeved ones. Why can't they produce short sleeved T's that cover the "wings" yet are not from the Ark? I am reduced to wearing 3/4sleeves when I can find them.

Valkyrie Fri 06-May-11 10:15:43

to evesdottir, don't you think shop assistants always agree with you?
I think so many maufacturers avoid full length sleeves because then the length is not important. I hate 3/4 sleeves but have had little trouble finding short sleeve T-shirts. Having exposed my arms to too much sun in my youth, I favour full length sleeves now anyway.
Agree M&S are pretty useless now.

May I change the subject a little please?

Does anyone have a good source for denim jeans please?
I can't find any that have a waist. I have to get a size big enough to accomodate child bearing hips but then there's little or no waist.
I have to wear a belt but then you end up with bunches of fabic not only uncomfortable but unsightly too.

kipper Fri 06-May-11 11:43:28

My dream dress (manufactuers please note) is an empire line, v neck. 3/4 sleeves in fine jersey - plain or print. I am 5/1" and have given up looking (almost). I agree M & S is letting us down!