Gransnet forums

AIBU

.. to object to sweets at checkouts

(13 Posts)
Baggy Mon 15-Aug-11 12:19:33

Shops will put sweets in the places where they think they can best sell them, like everything else! I don't think we can really complain about that, but I think telling checkout workers to deliberately offer chocolate is a kind of managerial bullying and so I object to that. But you can say no.

I never bought sweets for my kids while they were with me except, occasionally, travel sweets to help prevent car sickness. If they were hungry while we were out they could have a banana or a bread roll.

In fact, DD3 got more sweets at nursery school, provided by other parents for birthdays, etc, during her first term than she'd had in her entire life before that! This in spite of the school's healthy eating policy.

grannyactivist Mon 15-Aug-11 11:40:10

Lovely story Baggy. grin
I NEVER bought my children sweets from the supermarket. After tea on Fridays our children were taken to the local newsagent/sweetie shops to buy their once-a-week sweetie treats and then we would eat the sweets whilst going for a family walk together. Wrappers in pockets, home, hot/cold drink, brush teeth, bed - and that was it for the week.
Having said that; I have always had some fresh fruit in and a 'snack' drawer with cakes biscuits etc. so that the children could, at appropriate times, help themselves. (There is a health issue with husband and sons who sometimes need to eat 'instantly'.) Friends and family are always surprised that the children didn't take advantage of this, but the bonus is that my sons have always been prepared to bake their own snacks and are now dab hands with various cake and biscuit recipes. grin

susiecb Mon 15-Aug-11 11:38:53

I do agree that its not a good idea to have the sweets there and I do get a bit fed up with W H Smith as they dont have the chocolate I like! Green and Blacks almond for me.

Baggy Mon 15-Aug-11 09:54:56

My parents used to stop at the paper shop after mass on Sundays and, if we kids hadn't already spent our pocket money (penny for each year of your age until eleven, then the pattern changed), we would go in and spend it then — on sweets, naturally. One Sunday, mum gave my youngest brother, who was then three, just, a threepenny bit and told him to give the money to the man. Dad had got the papers so we waited in the car for Tom. He returned with a large bar of chocolate that cost more than threepence! Dad returned with Tom and chocolate to find a customer standing in the middle of the shop staring at a threepenny bit in his hand! grin

glammanana Mon 15-Aug-11 09:51:26

Never mind the children and the checkout,i have to tell myself NO every time I go through and sometime's I don't hear what I say

dorsetpennt Mon 15-Aug-11 09:46:21

Oh Jacey I remember my then 2 year old daughter 'helping herself' to sweets at the supermarket queue - and the screams of protest when discovering them and making her return them. However, I work as an internet shopper on the shop floor, have seen parents give their offspring sweets/crisps to be eaten whilst shopping. However, once they get to the checkout said items aren't paid for, nice!

Jacey Sun 14-Aug-11 20:32:14

OK Nanban ...I recognise where you are coming from with your last comment.

However ...these shops are trying to separate us from our money ...that's the name of the game. But ...I wish these sweet counters were at eye level ...how many of you have stood in a queue and watched small children help themselves ...even when parents have said no ...often the parents don't realise because too busy packing/paying??

And no ...I have to admit ...I've said nothing ...not brave enough to cope with the possible consequences. sad

Nanban Sun 14-Aug-11 19:11:19

Every goddam shop offers food of all sorts - and I find it very hard to resist! I stood in the centre of the house and made an out loud solemn promise to give up chocolate - and lo and behold it worked! I truly believe that a promise simply can't be broken. Give up chocolate and you will be amazed by how much we are surrounded by it - restaurants, puddings, after dinner - chocolate is always present.

I have, of course, being resourceful replaced it with lots of other sweets .....

I go with the 'once you say no stick to it' but I would so absolutely love to have my grandchild in hand asking for something, anything ..... x

maxgran Wed 27-Jul-11 12:29:58

Brilliant, Grannyactivist !! - More people should do that. We tend to just let these things go - but I will certainly do same if they do that to me.... Thanks

grannyactivist Wed 27-Jul-11 10:23:46

I usually smile at the person on the checkout and say nicely, "No thank you and please pass on to the management my objection to being asked the question." It doesn't upset the person who is paid to ask the question, but registers my complaint. Although, now I think about it I'm going to write to WHSmith head office about it.

janthea Tue 26-Jul-11 16:47:20

Never mind the children, I'm tempted by chocolate and I'm trying to diet.

absentgrana Tue 26-Jul-11 16:45:47

It was a brief campaign. Of course shops will display and try to sell impulse (expensive and unnecessary) buys at check-outs. The trick with children is to say "no" the first time they ask and keep saying "no" every time after. If you once give into children, then you have set a precedent and they are remorseless.

GaryPan Tue 26-Jul-11 16:13:04

Yesterday I was asked if I wished to buy bars of chocolate at the W H Smith's checkout. I remember the battle that we had years ago to get sweets banned from the supermarket checkouts but it now seems that W H Smith have now got a 'company policy' to offer chocolate bars when paying.