Gransnet forums

AIBU

What's DH's most annoying habit(s)?

(174 Posts)
greenmossgiel Tue 16-Aug-11 14:13:44

I find that I'm becoming quite intolerant of DH's wagging his foot about when he's sitting down! Also he whistles under his breath. There are a few other things, but can't put them on here....Anyone else got anything to add (or is it just me)? hmm

petallus Mon 23-Jan-12 17:57:39

greenmossgiel that's exactly what my husband does. I read this thread when it first started and it was quite comforting knowing that my husband's quirks were actually quite common in other DHs. Somehow makes it easier to bear, knowing that I am not suffering alone smile

MDougall Mon 23-Jan-12 17:35:17

I have only just discovered this thread and have had such a good time reading that other husbands have similarly annoying habits.

My current one:

DH really should lose weight. I have every known book on the planet for calorie counting, protein diets, etc.etc. We have tried nearly everything - he loses about 2 stone and then gives up (he should lose much more for his health's sake - arthritis and blood pressure etc) and proceeds to put it all back on again.

When I dare to mention this to him (he "jumps" down my throat!) and then asks me, when out shopping and with a loud voice, how many calories in this, or this, or this, usually throws the item down with a vengeance and then blames me for the fact that his favourite foods will take him way over his daily allowance. Then on a good day, we will be going along fine, we add up the calories, and then when it is about 9.00 p.m. he will ask what he can have for supper. When I say "not much" - you are at the top of your allowance, he will throw another tantrum and then go and help himself to something that completely destroys the day's counting. (and this is after I have thrown out all the biscuits, sweets etc.and there is only healthy stuff in the fridge and he is so cross that there is "nothing" for him to eat in the house!).

I feel like volunteering him for one of those TV programmes where they run bootcamps etc. and then someone else can do this diet buddy thing!!!!!

Apart from this and about 20 other annoying habits, we get on really well!!!!

greenmossgiel Mon 23-Jan-12 17:34:43

I don't think there's anything wrong with my husband's hearing - he just can't be bothered listening!!! Anything I say gets a reply of 'Eh?' then as I'm repeating it, he starts to reply (showing that he had heard in the first place), which, then leads to me having to repeat it again, because of the confusion caused by us both talking at once.....oh dear....! confused

numberplease Mon 23-Jan-12 17:29:13

Swansong, that`s exactly how I`m feeling all the time! Everything that`s said to him, he says "Eh?" or "What?" Last summer, he sent off for one of those hearing aids advertised in the paper, actually, he ordered two, "to be on the safe side", but does he wear it? Does he hell as like! And the reason? "Because the batteries`ll wear out"!!!! I ask you!

Swansong Mon 23-Jan-12 16:59:14

Saying AAAAAAA when he hasnt heard what I have said or pretends to have heard am sorry his hearing loss is bad but for goodness sake put in hearing aid

Stansgran Fri 07-Oct-11 23:54:03

First time I've read this thread and I've got a saint for a DH even though he does practically everything everyone else's DHs do apart from jiggling(I do that) and the washing up water(wouldn't know what it was for)I was feeling quite downcast until I read this and haven't stopped chortling. We're all perfect-aren't we MR Gransnetters ?

jogginggirl Fri 07-Oct-11 23:23:10

Love it jinglej - I found a piece of the offending stuff in the corner of the shower only this morning and THREW IT AWAY! grin He may never notice!!

granto7 Fri 07-Oct-11 22:26:48

cough cough "are you still up"? he says when he has had to come DOWN to see

supernana Fri 07-Oct-11 12:46:21

jingle...you make me howl...love you to bits...

Gally Fri 07-Oct-11 12:02:48

We've just been for a walk in the sun and we stopped for a coffee in the Castle grounds. On the way back I noticed a horrible mark across his shirt - obviously from carrying the coffee tray. Shall I sponge it, he asks. No, it'll make it worse. So off it comes and he hands the offending item to me and say 'here you are'.

gotthetshirt Fri 07-Oct-11 11:06:22

Then I wonder does he want me to go with him, does he want my permission, is he waiting to see if I have other plans for him??? Drives me mad!

gotthetshirt Fri 07-Oct-11 10:58:44

My dh stands staring out of the kitchen window when I am busy. He starts to tell me what he's going to do next....walk the dogs, dig some veg. Thing is, I ALREADY KNOW!!! Because it's the same every time!!!

jinglej Fri 07-Oct-11 10:23:12

And another thing (while I'm having a rant). I put out a nice new bar of soap to replace the scrap left from the previous bar. He insists on pressing that remaining teeny tiny scrap onto the nice new bar, even if its a different colour! Its just a minute bit of Waitrose own soap! The loss will not break the bank!

I know its only cosmetic really, but it bugs me.

I take it off and put it down the lav.

jinglej Fri 07-Oct-11 10:19:03

We had a small family 'do' at the weekend and I over-purchased on bread. Not something I often do, but it happened. Anyway, this morning DH took the remaining half of a loaf out of the bread bin and the top slice (and no doubt all the others) was VERY mouldy. I'm talking blue mould right across the slice.

Instead of doing what I (and you) would have done and binning it, he left it on the table. After breakfast I asked him why he had left it there. The reply? "Well, I don't know what you want done with it"! hmm

Err, Put it in a luxury bread and butter pudding perhaps? With a nice tinge of green on it?

NO!!! THROW IT OUT!!!

glammanana Wed 05-Oct-11 14:01:29

Our DCs used to call their dad Rigsby and they even christened the cat Vienna but over the year's he has mellowed but the name has stuck !

supernana Wed 05-Oct-11 13:55:37

Coming to this forum and being entertained by so many wonderful, funny GNs has been the highlight of my day. grin

greenmossgiel Tue 04-Oct-11 20:22:37

Oldgreymare - just as I was reading your post, 'he' did the loud throat-clearing again, then after that complained about how expensive the grapes were in the local Spar shop. I thought there was going to be an important announcement...or something....

Oldgreymare Tue 04-Oct-11 19:56:02

Just when I think he's broken the habit off he goes again, extra loud throat clearing lasting ages, shutting the bathroom window in warm weather, leaving it open when it's windy and cold. More recently, splashing on aftershave so vigourously that it sprays the mirror!
But he must have special powers to be able to listen to the radio in 3 different rooms at the same time .... and one is a DAB radio so is out of sync with the other 2!
I could go on.....angry

silverfoxygran Tue 04-Oct-11 15:03:26

If I leave the room during a tv programme and, on returning ask, 'What's happened?' It is always the same, 'Nothing much.' Amazing how TV producers time boring bits to co-incide with me being absent for a few minutes.

Never putting his tools away in the right place - funny how we find the hammer, we gave up looking for weeks ago, turning up where he keeps the screwdrivers.

Never properly putting the top on a bottle or jar. I've been married long enough now to know I shouldn't shake the tomato sauce bottle if I don't want to end up wearing it!

This has been one of the funniest forums ever. thanks for making me laugh so much

Ariadne Tue 04-Oct-11 15:03:20

When I rearrange things a bit - as I've just done in the kitchen - he puts everything back where it used to be, whether it fits there or not. Just cups and mugs, and implements, all squashed into their usual corner, but he doesn't notice the changes. Bless him...

supernana Tue 04-Oct-11 14:42:29

mickey ...very loud laugh from me...

Elegran Tue 04-Oct-11 14:14:20

Expecting me to know the whereabouts of everything "what have you done with my....?" when it is something I never use.

Expecting every letter to be next day exactly in the middle of the kitchen table, where he left it spread around on opening it. Do I make pastry on his desk and leave the flour and trimmings scattered about?

(That was a rhetorical question. you don't need to answer it)

mickey Tue 04-Oct-11 12:43:17

plus,

saying xmas is too much fuss and why do it-then gobbling and drinking everything in sight.

mickey Tue 04-Oct-11 12:39:46

some of them
sighing for no reason. calling out from another room when I cant hear for domestic noise etc. losing his specs and expecting me to know their whereabouts. saying who the hecks that if telephone rings.

Elegran Tue 04-Oct-11 10:13:19

Mine leaves the water "in case I find something else". Like a crystal glass to wash in the grease of the saucepans?