Gransnet forums

AIBU

Cross about over use of the word heroic

(117 Posts)
nannym Tue 13-Sep-11 11:04:25

Does anyone else agree that the media seem to be going overboard with their use of the term 'Heroic'? Each day in the newspapers there seem to be remarks about "Sporting Heroes" and I find it really hard to equate the meaning of the word hero to the actions of someone who is either kicking, hitting or catching a ball. A dictionary meaning of hero is "One who performs a valiant act" - can't really relate that to a footballer!

jangly Tue 13-Sep-11 19:20:04

I'ver done it now. I've e-mailed them.

I'm too old for this. I'm sorry.

jangly Tue 13-Sep-11 19:21:34

I'm already on fluoxetine. This isn't going to help is it?

I'm so sorry.

Baggy Tue 13-Sep-11 20:07:59

We don't want you to go, jangly. Your posts (note, I said posts, not you) can seem a bit abrupt sometimes so it just seemed a bit odd that you reacted so strongly to what everyone else thinks was gentle and friendly teasing from absent.

JessM Tue 13-Sep-11 21:05:24

Jangly I am not surprised that you are on antidepressants as I have been thinking your posts seemed very intense lately. I hope that in real life people around you understand.
It is difficult on line, what we know about each other is like a cartoon with a few sketchy lines - we do not know the real person in 3d and full colour. And we lack the body language which adds nuances to face to face conversations.
In some ways on-line relationships are less risky than RL, because we can hide things about ourselves. In the other ways they are more risky, because we can get judged by what we write and only that, not for the whole person that we are.
I hope you will reconsider your departure - it inevitable that there is the occasional falling out on a forum like this but it should be big enough (and collectively old enough) to cope with a few ups and downs without people feeling they have to leave.

glammanana Tue 13-Sep-11 21:21:34

On a lighter note girl's it;s my birthday to-day and I have been out celebrating and I get home to find all sort's of thing's going on,I also wish you to reconsider jangly as we are all experienced enough in life to know that thing's will alway's be said that we don't agree with but we have to agree to disagree in the grown up way that we do at our stage in life.

GoldenGran Tue 13-Sep-11 21:37:06

Happy Birthday, glammanana, hope you had a lovely day. I too have been out today and have just logged on here, and I agree with your sentiments, please reconsider Jangly ,we are all grown ups and should be able to take a bit of heat. I t has taught me to be careful what I write.

Baggy Tue 13-Sep-11 21:41:11

Happy Birthday, glam. Hope your celebrations were fun.

Jacey Tue 13-Sep-11 21:42:55

Happy birthday glammanana ...how did you celebrate it? wine

glammanana Tue 13-Sep-11 22:01:20

I had a nice visit from DGS1 and lovely flower's on his way to work,no sooner had he gone then DD arrived with more flower's and prezzie's then neighbour's etc.Lunch time DH & I went to Parkgate on Wirral for lunch and then had homemade ice-cream on the prom,then nice drive to garden centre and home again to find one of our most frequent OPs has decided to leave us, I have alway's admired jangley's sense of humour and quick wittedness and will agree it is not alway's to everybody's taste maybe, but I am a scouser and have a lot of time for people who speak their mind,but sometime's we do tend to put our size ten's in at the wrong time,I know I do. (I am in no way saying she has said anything wrong it is just a general opinion)

Libradi Tue 13-Sep-11 22:10:23

Happy Birthday, glammanana wine

glassortwo Tue 13-Sep-11 22:14:19

glamma happy birthday wine wine

On the subject of jangly she will be sadly missed if she has gone.

Annobel Tue 13-Sep-11 22:16:10

Happy birthday glamma. Glad you have had such a lovely day.

GoldenGran Tue 13-Sep-11 22:18:51

I hope she hasnt' really gone glassortwo She'll be missed.

glammanana Tue 13-Sep-11 22:20:04

Thank's girl's another year older but still feel 21 in the head. (pity about the body) Thank's again xx

expatmaggie Tue 13-Sep-11 22:42:48

Why does he have to swim the Thames to raise money for a charity? Why give him the money? The whole concept of giving people money to do something they deep down want to do in any case, is flawed. Afterwards he has done it for Charity when in reality he has done it for himself.
I give occasionally to charity but not to people to run a mile or climb mountains. If they feel they want to do these things, let them do it, keep quiet about it and not brag about it.

grannyactivist Wed 14-Sep-11 01:29:54

I've only had a brief time to dip into GN over the past couple of days and just found time to catch up now.

I spent the morning listening to two very dear people who have devoted themselves, for almost forty years, to caring for two foster sons who have schizophrenia. They have endured trials which would have stretched the saints, but persevere. Their actions over the years have, in my view, been heroic; in that they have had to be brave on many, many occasions and their actions in the face of extreme provocation have been noble and courageous. They are my role models and I admire them more than I can say.

This evening I listened to my daughter describing, through her tears, the meeting she had last week with a government minister. I know how she has pushed herself outside of her comfort zone to accept the role of ambassador for the Royal British Legion; to write letters, campaign and give media interviews. I see she appears calm and competent when in public, but I also know the cost: the sleepless nights, the anxiety, the questioning and sometimes the sheer physical grit and determination she needs. Last year, and again this year, she will take part in the 10k Commando Challenge. www.commandochallenge.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1&Itemid=3 She will run over the moors and through a mud filled sheep dip to raise money to support injured service personnel.
She's 4' 11" and weighs less than 7st.
Does she like to run? No.
Does she like to be covered from top to toe in mud? Most definitely not.
Are her efforts brave? Undoubtedly.
Her husband died a hero's death, literally. After his death we heard testimony that on more than one occasion he had saved lives, ultimately at the cost of his own. So, is my daughter a 'heroine'? Or simply courageous, responding bravely and positively to the lousy situation she finds herself in?

Baggy Wed 14-Sep-11 06:51:01

In my book, your daughter is both heroic and courageous, GA. I .... this is hard to say without it 'sounding' wrong on a screen, but I think you know I mean it only in a good sense and from the heart .... I hope her heroism and courageousness is helping her (will help her, ultimately) to cope with her terrible grief and to find contentment again.

But, there is something in what expat says, too, that I agree with. For some years now I have felt uncomfortable with the "corporate creep" of most of the big organisations that have charitable status. It seems to me that many of them now behave more like capitalist businesses. I know it's for good but I am bothered by the means to the end. It just doesn't feel right. Just me being 'picky' again, perhaps, but that is what thinking is for.

Annobel Wed 14-Sep-11 08:55:09

I was going to respond to what expatmaggie posted, but GA's post says it all.

absentgrana Wed 14-Sep-11 09:38:33

jangly I had no intention of insulting you and am genuinely sorry that I seem to have done so. I used the word besotted because your posts about "seeing him" – in capital letters if I remember correctly – were extraordinarily excited and, dare I say it, girlish in their enthusiasm. It was not a criticism, simply an observation. I like enthusiasm in people and wish there was more of it. There seems to me to be too much general grumpiness and moaning among young and old in our society. I am distressed that I appear to be the cause of your wishing to unsubscribe from gransnet as not only do I find your posts interesting, intriguing, funny (on humorous subjects) and sensible (on serious ones), I think you enjoy gransnet. Many other people delight in your posts too and I feel very bad about spoiling things for them, albeit inadvertently. I ask you to reconsider unsubscribing and to accept my apology for hurting your feelings with an ill-chosen expression.

GoldenGran Wed 14-Sep-11 09:54:52

GA your daughter and and you, in supporting her, are the unsung heroes in this life. Their are a few about, including your friends with the schizophrenic foster sons, and we should cherish them. I think heroes and heroines come in all guises, there are many who never get the credit they deserve, they are not all in the public eye.

jangly Wed 14-Sep-11 10:19:25

absent, thank you for your post.

They haven't (as you can see!) un-subscribed me yet, but I think I will let my email to GNHQ stand. I probably spend too much time on here anyway. hmm smile

The post to Glass was girlish. I can't apologise for that. Glass seems to "get" me somehow. smile

For goodness sake, don't be upset at all on my behalf. smile

I will still be able to read the website, just not post. (I think that's how it works)

glassortwo Wed 14-Sep-11 10:34:05

jangly just make sure that is what you want and you are not being rash!
sad

absentgrana Wed 14-Sep-11 10:35:59

jangly I was quite shocked when I logged on this morning as I had no idea that I had caused something of a fuss and that I had hurt your feelings. I am relieved that you are not angry with me and I think girlish enthusiasm when you are close to your seventieth birthday is to be applauded. I shall miss your posts, many of which have brought a smile to my face on an otherwise dreary day and I do hope you reconsider in the future, if not now.

greenmossgiel Wed 14-Sep-11 10:47:21

Grannyactivist, your daughter's love for her husband and his memory will be recognised and stay in the hearts and minds of those who have never had the honour of meeting either of them. As with the elderly friends who, with the unconditional love that they gave their foster children for so many years, have done this without question. On many occasions they will have been frightened, perhaps even of their sons. On so many other occasions they'll have been frightened and saddened by the attitude of others who didn't understand. Perhaps there isn't a word to describe the type of love and dedication that gave them the strength to do this. 'Heroism' doesn't seem apt - not like that shown by your son-in-law. He showed the utmost bravery that can possibly be. How many of us could sit here now and say we could do the same thing, unless it was to save the lives of those we know and love dearly? David Walliams, in my mind isn't a 'hero'. He did a fine thing of course, by raising money and consequently awareness as he did, but he wasn't on his own. There was back-up all the way. For people like your lovely daughter and your elderly friends, the word heroism isn't the right one. I don't think there is one word that can describe the pure love, dedication and determination that shines from people like them.

Baggy Wed 14-Sep-11 10:54:59

Well said, greenmoss.