Gransnet forums

AIBU

About toddlers and hairdressers?

(14 Posts)
duckysnan Fri 07-Oct-11 17:24:05

i was in the hairdressers last week, a young woman had a baby in a push chair..while she was i thought getting her long hair cut and blow dried...it was an extremely hot day..and i thought how good this baby was (about 5 months) till i was told the baby had been strapped in for 2 and a half hours ..thats a bloomin long time to me!

dorsetpennt Fri 07-Oct-11 10:33:19

like grannyactivist I had no choice when I lived abroad and didn't have family closeby. Later when I had made friends with a nice group of friends we would give each other some free time to go to the hairdresser etc. It is up to the parent to ensure their child behaves not leave it up to other people - I think the salon that had a box of toys and a lovely receptionist is unusual though. I've said in another Gransnet thread that people go into shops, salons etc and just completely absent themselves from controlling their child/children

jinglej Fri 07-Oct-11 10:08:42

We had an SOS once at about 3 in the morning! GS had had a convulsion and daughter was distraught and needed us. It involved a (very fast shock) motorway journey, but we got there! grin

He was fine after a morning in hospital btw.

jinglej Fri 07-Oct-11 10:05:30

Absolutely. smile

em Fri 07-Oct-11 10:01:10

Yes, j, I do appreciate the fact that I see them so often - largely because my daughter needs the help - and although the lastminute SOS can be a trial, it would be much worse if I couldn't help out at short notice.

jinglej Fri 07-Oct-11 09:56:58

Wish I lived close enough to have my two on the odd occasion like that. sad

Still, it could be worse. I generally see them once a fortnight.

em Fri 07-Oct-11 09:46:09

Yes taking him was an exception to the norm but admittedly I did miss out on the 'me time' because I was keeping an eye on him! I liked it too that he wanted to buy the apple for her. I am hoping it will start a lifetime habit of buying thoughtful little presents!

glammanana Fri 07-Oct-11 09:18:42

Luckily enough mine have alway's behaved when they had to be taken with me,but I do count going to the hairdresser as me time and would expect DH to have them,the parenting skill's of some younger mum's is of the *someone else will look after them brigade*when mine where little they understood what was expected of them,but I understand that sometime's the little one's have to be taken as in an emergency as happened to em.

grannyactivist Fri 07-Oct-11 00:49:25

I really don't think the problem is in taking a child to the hairdresser is it? When I lived abroad I had no one to take care of my children when I had an appointment of any kind, so they came with me to the GP, hospital, hairdressers, supermarket, shopping trips............etc. They were always beautifully behaved, because that's how I expected, and had taught, them to behave. They were chatty and curious, but would never have dreamed of doing anything other than occupying themselves with whatever I had taken with me for that purpose.

jinglej Thu 06-Oct-11 23:20:15

That is very sweet em. A nice variation on "an apple for the teacher". smile

GrannyTunnocks Thu 06-Oct-11 23:01:23

I take my 3 year old granddaughter to the hairdresser with me but only if I am not having colouring done. She gets her hair cut after me and has been doing so once a month since she was about 18 months. The hairdresser has a box of toys, some of which we provided. I would not take her if she was running about the shop being a nuisance.

dizzyblonde Thu 06-Oct-11 22:44:17

This was really busy and they don't have a receptionist just juniors who answer the phone etc as well as hair washing and sweeping.It would be different if it had been quiet with someone to look after him. I just thought it was so dangerous to have him roaming around, climbing on things and reaching up to grab bottles etc. An accident waiting to happen and totally ruined my peaceful time , the Mum did not seem concerned at all even when he ran out of the door and was retrieved by the customer who was leaving. Fortunately the shop is in a shopping centre not on the road.

em Thu 06-Oct-11 20:09:03

I'd made an appointment for a cut and blowdry first thing in the morning. Previous evening, daughter was unwell and I brought GS to stay overnight. Phoned hairdresser to postpone but was told to bring him along as mine was the only appointment at that time. He had a wonderful time. The lovely young receptionist sat with him at the table - they coloured pictures, looked at books and generally giggled together (he's 2 1/2 and very cute!) He was in my sight the whole time and I did ask her frequently if they were ok. I realise that it was only possible because they weren't busy but I made sure she had a good tip! We then went to the greengrocer - known to GS as 'the apple shop' and bought an extra apple 'for the nice lady'. Popped back to the hairdresser and he handed it over - she was delighted! Wouldn't dream of taking him at a busy time though and would have seen it as completely reasonable if I'd had to postpone.

dizzyblonde Thu 06-Oct-11 19:56:34

I was in the hairdressers today and there was a Mum in there having her hair cut whilst her toddler spent the time running around the room. The salon is quite large (about 15 chairs) and so he was out of sight to her for most of the time.
Am I being unreasonable to think that this is a bit daft of the Mum? There are so many chemicals and hot straightners to say nothing of clients drinks left in reach.
I spent the time on the edge of my seat waiting for him to either pull a cup of tea on himself or pull one of the highlighting trollies over covering himself with the chemicals etc.