Gransnet forums

AIBU

Rain, winds and tempests.

(41 Posts)
gracesmum Sun 29-Apr-12 11:44:01

Am I alone in wanting to crawl back under the duvet and sleep through until summer?
Conditions seem to be close to apocalyptic and this is in the "soft" East Midlands. Quite surprised not to see damage when I got up this morning. Where is the sunshine ?

Jacey Mon 30-Apr-12 19:37:38

Yes Ariadne ...so warm today ..didn't need my jacket!! shock after such awful weather over the weekend!!

jack Mon 30-Apr-12 18:38:16

We might think we can control our children and grandchildren (wishful thinking of course) but one thing we can't control is the weather. Odd, isn't it. You'd think we'd have mastered it by now. confused

glammanana Mon 30-Apr-12 18:30:11

Well we have had all four seasons in one day here I wish it would make its mind up confused

jack Mon 30-Apr-12 18:07:46

Torrential rain in Dorset yesterday. Manic winds today. But have managed to fill three charity bags and clear some cupboard space for an avalanche of friends coming here to sample the joys of May and June on the sunny (?) south coast. Pity about the forecast! Especially as I'm going to a 70th birthday party tomorrow - in a friend's garden. Thermals to the fore ... shock

goldengirl Mon 30-Apr-12 17:19:03

Have dared to put my washing out today - and it's dry. Very warm in the sun but the wind is chilly. Still, I'm not complaining. We've had such heavy downpours recently.

Ariadne Mon 30-Apr-12 17:12:12

Beautiful, beautiful evening - a gift.

ninathenana Mon 30-Apr-12 15:37:48

Lovely day here at DD's in Surrey.

Complete change for yesterday, When I went out to get some supplies and came across a road blocked by a tree ! Not knowing the area that well I needed SatNav to find my way to tesco grin

Bags Mon 30-Apr-12 09:13:15

You'll all be pleased to know that a strong easterly wind has reached Bagsland now. wink

Ariadne Mon 30-Apr-12 09:02:35

Beautiful morning here in Kent, but apparently it won't last. Might get off my bum and do some washing! In a minute...

Annobel Mon 30-Apr-12 08:59:08

The sky is blue! There's a brisk breeze and it's blowing several trees-worth of birch pollen in my direction. Oh, there I go. Silver lining tarnished already... wink

Nonu Mon 30-Apr-12 08:34:00

Here in suffolk still chucking it down in fact , hasn"t stopped since they announced the hosepipe ban . Remember those lovely balmy days a few weeks ago sitting in the garden with morning coffee then later on a nice hour or so in lovely sunshine sunshine

gracesmum Sun 29-Apr-12 22:37:13

just tomorrow, I suppose?

kittylester Sun 29-Apr-12 21:23:45

Out from under the duvet quick Gracesmum summer is tomorrow!! sunshine

gracesmum Sun 29-Apr-12 21:23:00

No, just winding you up grin

Ariadne Sun 29-Apr-12 19:18:30

No! Really?

Annobel Sun 29-Apr-12 18:24:16

The forecast for tomorrow is for 18C. Could that be accurate?

Ariadne Sun 29-Apr-12 17:51:43

Just back in Kent from an extremely wet and windy Goucestershire, and as we progressed, the sun came out and the M25 was almost pleasant. Still cold though, and it has obviously rained a lot here.

Had great time with two littlest GDs and their mum and dad but...

Home's nice, isn't it?

gracesmum Sun 29-Apr-12 16:44:50

Far be it from me to speak too soon, but I am reminded of the words of the immortal Allan Sherman:

"Wait a minute, it stopped hailing,
Guys are swimming, guys are sailing,
Playing baseball, gee that's better,
Muddah Fadduh kindly disregard this letter.post"

gracesmum Sun 29-Apr-12 15:56:08

We're about 2 miles from Junction 14 on the M1, North Bucks -kl but I think the whole country is in danger of developing webbed feet today - and it is SO cold!

Anagram Sun 29-Apr-12 15:51:11

chitchat, you don't have to do it! grin

Life's too short to do gardening if you hate it - let it all grow over and convert it to a wildlife haven!

chitchat Sun 29-Apr-12 15:48:25

Trouble with this weather it bring's out the slug's, have to go deslugging every night. They've had a good go at my Petunia's , might have to buy some more.That mean's more gardening, and I dont do gardening if I can help it. does my back in. Am I the only one who doesn't like gardening ? especially in the rain.

Oldgreymare Sun 29-Apr-12 15:22:28

Try muck out

Oldgreymare Sun 29-Apr-12 15:21:44

Brrrr! Put the heating on to warm up then decided a good old -muck out- hoover around would do the job! blush

goldengirl Sun 29-Apr-12 14:58:48

It's heaving in Hertfordshire too! The park where the GC play is a swamp. And of course we have a hosepipe ban - not that we need it at the moment!

dahlia Sun 29-Apr-12 14:54:07

Pouring all day here in south Cornwall, too. We overlook a reservoir and you could surf on it today, the waves are so big! Tried gardening yesterday, when although grey and dull it wasn't actually raining, but my heart wasn't in it and I was glad to stop. Roll on summer!