Gransnet forums

AIBU

Halal meat

(95 Posts)
POGS Thu 10-May-12 20:47:55

April 24th a Tory M.P. lost a motion to get all meat produce labelled as to whether or not it was halal produced.

This is a report in a well known newspaper, what do you think.

VET ATTACKS ABATTOIRS FOR FAILING TO STUN ANIMALS.
A leading vet has called for a crackdown on the rising sale of meat from animals that have not been stunned prior to slaughter.
Bill Reilly, a former president of the British Veterinary Association said killing conscious animals by slitting their throats caused them distress, fear and pain.
Stunning animals before slaughter is MANDATORY in the U.K., although there are are exemptions on religious grounds to produce halal meat for islam and kosher meat for judaism.

He went on to say 25% of the meat market is now halal produced and is being sold to unwitting customers in supermarkets and takeaways.

I for one would want to know if the meat I buy was halal and unlike some of the M.P.s who tried to make it a racist point of view I fully understand the requirement for halal and kosher meat but I don't feel I should not be told as the consumer. I also think it would be a good idea for those who need to buy halal meat in a supermarket etc., to be able to buy for their religious requirements too. Am I wrong?

Anagram Fri 11-May-12 19:14:49

Vegetarianism isn't really the essential issue here, though, is it? Each to their own, for whatever reason, but if everyone in the world was vegetarian the issue about halal and non-halal meat would not have arisen - and it has.

Ariadne Fri 11-May-12 19:22:42

Precisely.

POGS Fri 11-May-12 19:28:41

Bags. Ofcourse you should speak your mind, I hadn't actually attatched my comment toward anyone. I was simply trying to be sensitive to any gransnetter who may require halal meat and tried to bring the subject back to should meat be labelled and to inform gransnetters of what had happened in Parliament and the Vets comments as I am interested in the thoughts of gransnetters. smile

jeni Fri 11-May-12 19:49:31

Never thought anything else!

nightowl Fri 11-May-12 20:09:56

I know I said I was trying to keep out of this one but here's my opinion, for what it's worth.

I am vegetarian but I accept (reluctantly) that most people in this country are not. I do not believe ritual slaughter should be allowed on any grounds for all the reasons the vet puts forward. I do not believe causing animals 'distress, fear and pain' can ever be justified and I don't care if this point of view offends people from any particular religion. However, given that ritual slaughter does take place in the UK, then I strongly believe that all halal (and kosher for that matter) meat should be labelled and it is a scandal that it is not.

Anagram Fri 11-May-12 20:10:03

grin Ariadne - I meant of course that we should be addressing the issue in question, not how it could be avoided!

Bags Fri 11-May-12 20:18:33

Sure, pogs smile. I understand that. My point was that people can't go getting upset because their religion says they have to eat halal meat but some of us are wondering (a) whether the way halal meat is killed is really justifiable/fair to the animals, and (b) whether this is really necessary nowadays as the understanding that presumably dictated it hundreds, if not thousands, of years ago is no longer of prime importance.

Nobody is being attacked. Reasons for behaving in certain ways are being questioned on perfectly rational grounds. That's all.

I accept your point of view. I just don't think it should prevent anyone from discussing the issues that halal meat raises.

I agree with you that labelling would be a good idea. I would also like to see agreed definitions of what various slaughter methodsactually entail so that we could really judge what was reasonable and acceptable in the twenty-first century.

Bags Fri 11-May-12 20:20:37

Thanks for that, nightowl. I was composing while you were posting. smile

nightowl Fri 11-May-12 20:27:05

Yes Bags I noticed we crossed posts there. I'm a very slow typist! smile

nightowl Fri 11-May-12 20:29:01

Although you are right, my post went up before yours. Ignore me, I'm confused (I'm old you know)

Bags Fri 11-May-12 20:38:22

grin Too wise to be ignored wink

Ariadne Fri 11-May-12 21:03:08

Anagram smile

nightowl I agree!

nanaej Tue 15-May-12 23:58:40

Re race.. there is the government list of official racial groups that you find on hospital forms/ school admission etc etc .. You can be white /black/Asian and various combinations thereof but those from the Middle East to the Gulf , those from Polynesia, Inuit, Aborigines, Maoris and other groups are lumped together as 'other, please specify'! So complex!

Re slaughter: not that long ago since animals in GB were slaughtered by farmers /butchers on farms. Think we can get a bit prissy about how animals are killed. As I said before stunning is not exactly stress free! If you eat meat animals suffer and carnivores have to accept that...

Bags Wed 16-May-12 06:50:20

And the more we can reduce suffering the better, which is what having laws about slaughter is all about. I would point out (again) that human meat eaters are not carnivores though, but omnivores. Carnivores eat nothing but meat.

Bags Wed 16-May-12 07:27:28

Modern, secular laws, that is. I don't think ancient religious laws give a damn about suffering.

PRINTMISS Wed 16-May-12 07:33:58

Ariadne, I wondered what the ducks were doing beneath the parapet - then I understood, - it is very early in the morning for me, and I am a bit late tuning into this. Story of my life, obviously.

JessM Wed 16-May-12 07:46:51

I suspect that normal slaughter rules are not based on any research into the stress felt by animals. Just "put yourself in their shoes" guessing. We can all guess. My guess is that the least stressful way to kill a sheep is to take it by surprise in its own environment and quickly (if necessarily ritually) cut its throat . I also suspect that it is not the killing that is the worst bit for the animal - but the transport to the slaughterhouse.

Bags Wed 16-May-12 08:56:54

Yes. Tranquilisers?

Bags Wed 16-May-12 09:03:21

I expect the lives of farm animals are far less stressful in the main than those of wild animals. Predators have be on the look out for food all the time (or a good deal of it anyway, and be prepared to go hungry for long periods when hunting is not good); The predated have to be on the look out for predators all the time and in a fit state to run away. Farm animals are mostly protected from all that.

Bags Wed 16-May-12 09:04:07

Maybe we just need to accept that life is stressful.

Elegran Wed 16-May-12 09:05:47

Wouldn't tranquilisers stay in the meat and be eaten by the consumer? Could be a good thing I suppose in volatile communities .....

POGS Wed 16-May-12 19:50:03

Do you think food should be labelled to tell us the buyer if halal, I realy would like to know please.

Anagram Wed 16-May-12 20:02:54

Yes. I do.

JessM Fri 18-May-12 11:41:23

Tranquillisers I don't think viable. Wish I could find the NZ article, as it was interesting - less stressful for sheep to be kept in a group of familiar animals for instance.

pammygran Fri 18-May-12 12:02:58

The method of killing animals the Halal way is appalling....the animal actually chokes on its own blood! MUST be clearly labelled,so we know