Gransnet forums

AIBU

Bonfires in the gardens of surburban bungalows!!!

(23 Posts)
ninathenana Fri 29-Jun-12 17:34:54

I feel your wrath.

But I am worried about you going out and leaving windows open, even upstairs ones shock

gma Thu 28-Jun-12 09:25:39

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions gransnetters!!! I did ring our local council but there are no longer any by laws regarding bonfires in the garden!!!!! They suggest a friendly chat with aforesaid neighbour-maybe not....... Dont think that he will do it again though!!! wink

Hunt Wed 27-Jun-12 23:30:23

Check with your local council. There are often bye-laws about having bonfires. If this is the case you will be armed for next time this happens.

Anagram Wed 27-Jun-12 22:05:43

They sound lovely, Bags - very friendly.
(I was meaning the mouse corpses, not rodents shot by your own good self!)

Bags Wed 27-Jun-12 21:48:32

Happy to wander about with Fred (my beau bow) and my octuplet of arrows (who don't have names yet; I can't tell them apart) and do some target practice in full view of Mr Nuttygrump. Unfortunately I couldn't supply corpses with Fred's help as it's illegal to hunt with bows and arrows in the UK.

Our bows: Captain Benbo, Bilbo, Flo Bow, and Fred. You wouldn't be able to tell which one was mine if I hadn't told you already, would you?

Annika Wed 27-Jun-12 21:35:52

My neighbour ( who has now moved ) had a bonfire in his garden.
At the time I had gone out ( school run I think ) and I had a left a line of washing out as it was a nice summer day.
Upon my return, I had just got into my house when I heard a ring on the doorbell, my neighbour was stood there with a wash basket full of my washing.
He told me he come around to tell me he was going to have a fire in the garden, and as I was out he had climbed over my garden fence took the washing off the line and took it indoors till I came home. How nice of him I thought ...at first that was until I came to sort out the washing and I noticed that among the usual tea towels and shirts was ....... my knickersblush but not my best frilly sort blush they were my old (ladies we have all had some like this) off white passion killers . Now this calls for a double blush blush. Would I have been less embarrassed if they had been undies from Ann Summers I wonder wink

glammanana Wed 27-Jun-12 20:49:55

gma so your neighbour didn't see you so he thought it OK to start a fire was he trying to smoke you out,I would bill him for the laundry being sent to be done professionally in order to get the smell out (I know it is not needed ) but it would make him think twice before he did it again how un-neighbourly he is !!! and a nice little letter from the enviroment agency would not go amiss either.

jeni Wed 27-Jun-12 19:59:07

grin

Ella46 Wed 27-Jun-12 19:53:19

jeni I think you should invite Bags to stay for a couple of days with her bow and arrows!
grin [evil]

whitewave Wed 27-Jun-12 19:52:13

I reckon he is throwing them back

Annobel Wed 27-Jun-12 19:45:49

I'm sure the pigeons made off with the broccoli I was trying to grow.

Anagram Wed 27-Jun-12 19:08:38

'scarpers'? confused

jeni Wed 27-Jun-12 19:07:25

I already do.but they know their way home!
I can't understand why he wants to shoot pigeons. They don't eat anything he grows, ie grass and a few flowers. Gary the Gardner grows veg in my garden and puts up scarpers to get rid of the pigeons.
He's a strange grumpy old man!

Annobel Wed 27-Jun-12 18:44:23

Barbecue smells are hard on veggies! I don't like being invited to a barbecue because I feel like an intruder.

Anagram Wed 27-Jun-12 18:44:13

I don't see why not! Anyway, I'm sure Bags would send over a few corpses if she were asked nicely.

whitewave Wed 27-Jun-12 18:40:27

Well she can hardly kill stuff to throw over can she!!??

Anagram Wed 27-Jun-12 18:38:29

Not quite the same, somehow! confused

Agree about the barbecue smells, absent angry

whitewave Wed 27-Jun-12 18:36:36

jeni get your own back and throw all your snails over the fence

jeni Wed 27-Jun-12 18:22:39

It wasn't charred . Just dead. Shot. Gone . Deceased . And on MY LAWN!

Ariadne Wed 27-Jun-12 17:56:22

I hate the smell of charred flesh, especially in the summer! And what I presume is cheap meat smells even worse.

jeni Wed 27-Jun-12 17:19:19

And dead squirrels!

absentgrana Wed 27-Jun-12 16:20:29

No your are not being unreasonable. It is horrid to come home and find that everything in your hose smells of smoke and so too does your freshly done laundry. About the only comparable problem I can think of is a neighbour, who had no idea how to cook, having a barbecue. The odour of burnt sausages and singed chicken lingers and lingers.

gma Wed 27-Jun-12 15:38:46

I am not a happy gransnetter!!!! I have been out all morning and when I arrived home about 2.00 there was a distinctive odour of woodsmoke in the house. I had left upstairs window open as it is so warm here and guess what, the person in the bungalow next door but one was disposing of his old shed. I had a basket of wet washing to hang out, forecast for next couple of days is not too good, so I thought that I would get it out now. I shouted to him from upstairs window and he said that he didn't see me anywhere so thought it OK. What about all the other properties adjacent, all of which had windows wide open, but the smoke is not blowing towards his property (there's a surprise) so thats OK then??? Grrrrrrrh angry