Gransnet forums

AIBU

3s a Crowd

(47 Posts)
Granny23 Tue 14-Aug-12 17:19:32

A friend who was widowed a year past rang yesterday to ask if we were going to conference in October and when I said Yes she asked if she could tag along i.e. get a lift there and back, stay at same hotel etc. Of course I said OK and DH is fine with the arrangement but last night and today I am so angry and disappointed about it. We have had our one week holiday with the DDs, their partners and 3 DGC which was great, but I was so looking forward to our only 3 day break with just the two of us to consider, when we can please ourselves, have a romantic meal and hang the cost, hang out with old friends and dip in and out of the conference when there is something we are interested in.

The answer is not as easy as planning another break for ourselves as money is short and time off from childminding hard to arrange. I do admire our friend who is successfully creating a new life for herself, but she has a couple of quirks that make her a bit of a pain at times. I think I am being unreasonable but how do I calm down?

Faye Thu 13-Sep-12 21:51:12

medic flowers

medic Thu 13-Sep-12 16:05:04

Try to see the situation from the other person's point of view. My husband died just over a year ago and we had been inseparable for over 50 years - the loss of what is genuinely your other half is unbearably lonely at times.

gracesmum Thu 13-Sep-12 15:56:23

Virtue is its own reward? Or, put another way, you got away with it this time - next time, forewarned is forearmed!

annodomini Thu 13-Sep-12 13:25:55

Perfect result, G23. I hope you have a satisfactory conference.

absentgrana Thu 13-Sep-12 12:17:34

Satisfactory for all parties Granny23. smile

glammanana Thu 13-Sep-12 12:08:38

Alls well in the granny23 household smileenjoy your time away.

Ella46 Thu 13-Sep-12 09:21:44

It's good when everyone is happy! smile

Greatnan Thu 13-Sep-12 07:47:52

What a nice post to start the day - well done!

POGS Thu 13-Sep-12 00:28:21

granny23

Result. Nice to know you did not at the end of the day have too much of a problem. I am sure however you would have managed if not.

Enjoy yourselves.

Hunt Thu 13-Sep-12 00:02:35

granny23, what a great result and thank you for taking the time to come back and tell us the outcome. hope you all have a great time.

Anagram Wed 12-Sep-12 23:11:42

Result, Granny23! grin

Granny23 Wed 12-Sep-12 23:06:43

Managed to find this thread to report latest development. Friend tried to book into 'our' hotel but thought it too expensive (£40 room rate per night for B&B for 2 is a good deal but they charge the same for a single occupant) so she has booked herself into a B&B close to the conference venue AND persuaded another friend to accompany her. Whoopedoo! We will still give both of them a lift there and back, no doubt spend some time with them at conference but will also have plenty time to ourselves.

Now I get to feel virtuous for offering and still get the break I wanted.grin

petallus Mon 20-Aug-12 14:01:54

I think Maxgran has a point; horrid for your friend if she senses you wish she wasn't there with you.

Difficult now but for her sake either try to set boundaries you can be happy with or come to terms with the situation and accept your friend's presence in good grace.

JO4 Mon 20-Aug-12 13:00:44

As they say - you're gonna have to "suck it up".

Sorry for that! grin

Life's rich tapestry and all that. smile

JO4 Mon 20-Aug-12 12:58:45

I like *Faye's post earlier in the thread. Says it all.

maxgran Mon 20-Aug-12 12:48:21

You could have taken longer to think about it instead of saying 'Yes' straight away.
You can always contact her and say that obviously you are happy to give her a lift etc but that part of your trip is a chance for you and DH to spend some quality time alone together and you hope she realises that she may have to entertain herself in her spare time there ?
That is being honest.
Its not her fault you jumped in with a yes and are now feeling miffed about it.

Your friend can then decide if she still wnats to go or not.

You are not being a good friend if you let her tag along whilst quietly seething to yourself. It must be horrible to be with people who don't really want you there so speak up and be honest !

shysal Wed 15-Aug-12 19:17:03

If the trip turns out to be the disaster you expect, could you put aside a couple of days at home and pamper yourselves, treating it like a romantic holiday? It doesn't have to cost a lot. Or even do it before the conference so that you don't feel resentful of your friend! I am sure your family would be willing to give you a short break from childcare if you explained. Good luck! sunshine

granjura Wed 15-Aug-12 14:01:53

Not sure how I would deal with this. And hindsight is not much good- but what a pity you didn't tell here gently, there and then, that you haven't had any time at all with OH and that this time, you just wanted to be on your own. Then follow up with asking her to visit for a few days. Perhaps she only decided to go and pay fees, once she knew you would be there with her- so it is hard to let her down now. What a pity.

Let's hope you find a way to explain that to her now.

HildaW Wed 15-Aug-12 12:49:17

On a more serious note, as we all get older and life hurls various things at us many of us are coping with some pretty horrid things. I recently had the missfortune of meeting someone who would wheel out their pain everytime they felt crossed in anyway (something that had happened 20 years ago). We are all coping with something (some much more than we will ever know) and so I truly think we should still do our bit to give and take, be polite and understanding of other folk's needs.

HildaW Wed 15-Aug-12 12:43:06

Granny23, you sound far from petty minded to me - coping with such a lady sounds a nightmare to me - I would have run a mile!

Mishap Wed 15-Aug-12 10:27:25

I feel for this poor lady in her first year of widowhood and admire that you said yes to her - scream at us here and put a brave face on it. But I do think the suggestion of saying at the outset that you and OH are organising a private meal together on one night would be a compromise. It is a delicate situation - she may be a pain in the proverbial, but she is grieving.

Barrow Wed 15-Aug-12 10:10:42

As a widow of just a year myself I can sympathise with your friend. I find it very difficult to "join in" now I am alone. However, having said that I think your friend should be more understanding of your need to be alone with your husband some times. I assume you will be having breakfast in the hotel so perhaps when you have finished you could say something along the lines of "we'll meet you in the conference hall" The same if she goes off again, instead of waiting around for her just arrange to meet her somewhere. In her place I would certainly not expect to spend every spare moment with you and your husband. If you have mutual friends at the conference perhaps you could have quiet word with them and see if they can share her company!

crimson Wed 15-Aug-12 00:55:20

... I think the moral is don't post things when it's way past bedtime and one's brain is fuddled with tiredness.....

crimson Wed 15-Aug-12 00:54:00

Just remembered trying to strangle [ I think that was my means of attack; I could be wrong..whatever it was it was pretty violent] a very dear friend who was sharing the driving with my, then, boyfriend as we travelled round Europe one summer. We'd all lived together quite happily in student accommodation for years prior to that. By the way, he wasn't actually driving at the time. It was a very long time ago; maybe I just shouted a lot [scratches head and worries about memory loss]. We're still friends, though smile although the boyfriend is now the ex husband. There may be a moral in this.

Granny23 Wed 15-Aug-12 00:33:40

Faye - I did check the toilets but she had decided to double back to the conference stalls to get a souvenir for her grandson and got a bit lost.confused