Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to hate New Year

(110 Posts)
Mamie Mon 31-Dec-12 07:52:37

I like Christmas, but I absolutely loathe the New Year "celebrations". I hate all the boring, retrospective TV and newspaper stuff, I can't abide concerts from Vienna and the TV programmes are just awful. We never stay up to see the new year in (not even in 2000), but at least here in rural Normandy we don't get woken up by other people's ghastly fireworks. I shall be so glad when it is the 2nd January.
Grumpy emoticon.

Ella46 Wed 02-Jan-13 22:12:54

Too late fir me then...........grin

Marelli Wed 02-Jan-13 21:43:19

number....grin! Ye mustnae be yer ain First Fit! Just as well you're not superstitious (like me)! wink

glassortwo Wed 02-Jan-13 21:32:57

number I almost did the same thing!

numberplease Wed 02-Jan-13 21:31:11

Nobody`s been here yet, so the first footer was me, coming in from the dustbin!

Marelli Wed 02-Jan-13 21:10:48

You're right, glass! smile

glassortwo Wed 02-Jan-13 21:05:07

Love that marelli best first foot you could hope for, he has all his life ahead of him.

Marelli Wed 02-Jan-13 21:02:50

My First Foot was DH's friend's 7-year-old grandson, yesterday lunchtime. He ate 5 Rocky chocolate biscuits and sat and watched Bob the Builder......(we had a quiet New Year here!) hmm

glassortwo Wed 02-Jan-13 20:57:28

marelli we all had a great time, yes memories they will always have smile

Marelli Wed 02-Jan-13 20:52:00

glass, that sounds like a brilliant end to the year! The wee ones will remember that! smile

tanglerose Wed 02-Jan-13 19:51:07

Phoenix have heard about people fron Shebbear, should have come to the metroplis aka Barnstaple, the fireworks were ok from my bedroom window. On second thoughts maybe the match was better!

Butty Wed 02-Jan-13 10:21:36

feetle grin

feetlebaum Wed 02-Jan-13 10:16:04

As an ex-musician, the words 'New Year's Eve' still send a shiver down my spine... it was the one night when everybody was working - impossible to say no when the money was 'double bubble' - but oh, what a ghastly night it always was... the only thing worse was a Hunt Ball, where in addition to the squeakers and similar party noise-makers, same moron would be blowing a hunting horn all night... no wonder the muso's term for 'audience' or 'customers' was 'the enemy...'

glassortwo Tue 01-Jan-13 22:33:50

phoenix grin watch your fingers!!

london its not very well advertised but it was on last year so I have been told, well worth going. The kids loved it all. Parade started 5pm ish at the Monument and finished at 6pm with the fireworks at the Civic.

london Tue 01-Jan-13 22:28:08

glass i think it would be great ,a didnt no they were on at 6 at the civic ,x

Anne58 Tue 01-Jan-13 22:26:41

Well, I did strike an extra long match, and let it glow for quite a while before I blew it out! We know how to live in Shebbear!

glassortwo Tue 01-Jan-13 22:22:48

london I dont know what the fireworks were like at midnight on the Quayside, but if the show they put on at the Civic Center at 6pm was anything to go by it must have been fantastic.

london Tue 01-Jan-13 22:18:17

I dont like new year but always say each year i would like to watch the fire works in newcastle .well may be next year smile

Gally Tue 01-Jan-13 22:18:08

Glass grin

glassortwo Tue 01-Jan-13 21:46:14

Well for someone who hates NYE and was doing nothing I had a great afternoon and evening shock

DD phoned to say she was caught in traffic trying to get out of a multi story car park and had left GD coat at home could I take it through to them to save time as they were going into town for the NYE children's parade and fireworks... so we agreed to meet at DH office where he was at work and it was decided that we would all go to the parade... had a fantastic time and the fireworks were amazing. It was late by the time it all finished so we called and collected a Chinese, had our Chinese and then played children's charades and had the best NYE for a long long time.

So I think I should be more flexible and just go with the flow and not put things into boxes and take things for what they are!

nanaej Tue 01-Jan-13 19:33:31

I understand the sadness of fellow GNers for whom this time of year is an anniversary of a loss.flowers My sad times are in February and May so I
have my moments of remembrance without the contrast of festivals and national celebration which possibly makes it all less painful.

However we keep Christmas as a lovely family get together time with our own traditions and customs developed over years and I really enjoy it.

New year is a time to share with our good friends. We started getting together when our kids were little and bedding them all down together so the adults could have a meal and a a drink to welcome another year in a spirit of hope for a better future.... we are talking early 80s!
Over the years we still get together taking in turns to host (15-22 of us some singles some couples) each contributing to a course of the meal. We have songs that we sing, we reminisce, do 'turns' etc We get to main course, roast beef, in time for us to stop for midnight and Auld Lang Syne then we continue with dessert & cheeses. Our cab collected us at 2:30 and we were home by 3:00. When we were all younger we partied on through to breakfast!
NYE is a very important bit of 'glue' for the good friendships we have enjoyed and maintained over the years which includes sharing each others good times as well as the sad. Our ages range from 61-73.

Mamie Tue 01-Jan-13 18:22:15

I went out for a half hour walk in the sunshine and didn't see anything or anyone except cows. The larks were scribbling in the field, much too early in the year.
I rather like helmet....

Marelli Tue 01-Jan-13 17:37:47

I just read that as "I don't know what they did in our HELMET", Mamie grin It's been really quiet here today too - hardly anyone about.

Mamie Tue 01-Jan-13 17:32:55

Well I don't know what they did in our hamlet last night (because we went to bed at 9pm), but today I haven't seen s single soul or heard any vehicle.
Not sure if they have been kidnapped and taken to the planet Zarg, got shellfish poisoning (the midnight dish of choice) or just not got up yet??

Goose Tue 01-Jan-13 14:31:41

...that should have said CRIMSON confused

Goose Tue 01-Jan-13 13:07:03

GOOSE "Yappity Burpday to you! and may the day bring you lots of takeaway curry's! I see you've even brought the sun out. I presume you're counting backwards from 01/01/13? (feels strange typing the 13 bit). I'm going to be 24 this year, in mind anyway - have not reached my sell by date yet" Have fun x
flowers cupcake wine grin