Gransnet forums

AIBU

parking!!

(38 Posts)
ninathenana Fri 18-Jan-13 13:54:00

Just left asda. Some nice young, very slim guy took pity on me and reversed my car out of the space as the way the inconsiderate moron who parked next to me was at such an angel that his rear wheel was in my space and my middle aged spread meant I couldn't get in the drivers seat grin grin

Deedaa Sun 20-Jan-13 21:17:38

Result all round really - I kept the husband and got the cats and she lurched off from disaster to disaster - she even managed to blow the Nissan up when she got it back!

annodomini Sun 20-Jan-13 18:59:14

Deeda what a brilliant story! I'd have had the cats too. grin

Nelliemoser Sun 20-Jan-13 18:57:51

Deedaa grin

Deedaa Sun 20-Jan-13 18:39:11

Personally I would ban all 4X4 tanks with stupid names from all car parks. e.g Warrior, Samurai, Animal etc. It's always a seedy little man who gets out of one and I always think that if he's as macho as the name suggests he should be out in the wilds parking it up a mountain. I treasure the memory of the man on TV who was trying to justify his choice of Chelsea tractor. "I have to have it because it says something about who I am!" You could hear half the country standing up and yelling "Yes! That's the point you idiot!"
I did drive a massive red Nissan something or other for a while, but that was because I'd hijacked it from my husband's girlfriend so there was a lot more to it than a car. (She got it back in the end, but I got her two cats grin

j07 Sun 20-Jan-13 17:04:00

Lol at the original post on this thread. grin

Bags Sun 20-Jan-13 13:56:29

The crumpled face is for the name "Autobiography" for a car!

Bags Sun 20-Jan-13 13:55:24

Stop with the anti Toyota Landcruiser comments too. We have one. It's the same width and only two inches longer than a Mondeo and easier to park (we used to have a Mondeo so I know). It's 'bigger' in height than many other cars but not in the amount of parking space it takes up.

Always supposing one parks it considerately of course. Which we do.

The Landcruiser V8 (used to be Toyota Amazon) is bigger and so is the Range Rover Autobiography confused.

Nanban Sun 20-Jan-13 13:16:46

Looking for a parking space in Sidmouth, having never been there before, we drove into the Conservative Club to find that it was members only, so drove out - took all of 1min 15 secs as witnessed by the photo that came with the £100 fine!

The fine was for driving in and out. We appealed, they turned us down - with threats that the fine would accumulate until we paid. We appealed to POPLA months ago and only just heard that they agree with us and the Conservative Club are totally out of order in ever respect. Yeh!!!!! What a relief but also, having decided never to go there again, I'm quite looking forward to another trip.

Nelliemoser Sat 19-Jan-13 15:18:33

I also could parallel park in small spaces on roads very well until I stopped going to work.
O bugger! How many Ls in paralel and where should they be? none of the above look right.

Nelliemoser Sat 19-Jan-13 15:14:28

I always park with the car boot out in supermarket car parks.

annodomini Sat 19-Jan-13 14:30:07

And it's difficult to open a car door wide enough to get out without touching the car next door. Particularly awkward when it's windy and the door swings out of your grasp.

Lilygran Sat 19-Jan-13 11:32:52

Agree, phoenix. The only spaces that are adequate for all cars are the disabled and the 'parent and child' ones. I wouldn't dream of parking in a space marked 'disabled' but I must admit to parking in 'parent' spaces sometimes.

Anne58 Fri 18-Jan-13 22:59:30

I have noticed that some supermarket parking spaces are so narrow that it's impossible to get a trolley between 2 parked cars, you have to go to the end of the row and approach from behind!

annodomini Fri 18-Jan-13 22:51:24

I am quite good at parallel parking. It's avoiding pillars in multi-storey car parks that seems to be the difficulty, as the scruffy state of my Yaris shows.

nanaej Fri 18-Jan-13 22:43:36

Why don't they have 6 special spaces in car parks for big 4 wheel drive/SUVs and not allow them to box me in park near small Ford Fiestas and the like. My number plate was personalised for a while..EJ57.... but now I am 62! just coincidence when I bought the car..I chose it from the cars I could afford in the showroom because of the numberplate.

My crazy SiL has a top of the range BMW but only drives it if he knows he can park away from the liklihood of being scratced by other parkers!

glassortwo Fri 18-Jan-13 22:18:05

I have always been good at parking even 7 ton wagons, much to DH annoyance as he cant, but this car I have now must have a curved side strange to park always on the conk.

jeni Fri 18-Jan-13 22:15:14

I'm rubbish at parking and reversing. Mind you at only 3000 miles in 3 years its hardly surprising!
Fortunately as I have a blue badge I get a large parking space. My car has some form of auto parking but I've never used it!

gracesmum Fri 18-Jan-13 21:17:20

You see- that's when I drive on and find another space grin

Nelliemoser Fri 18-Jan-13 20:26:11

A dilemma is if the car in one bay at the side of you is at an angle and the one on the other side is straight, and the spaces are not very wide, who do you line up with!

gracesmum Fri 18-Jan-13 19:13:00

Oh dear, since moving to the country 28 years ago I have become rubbish at parking. When we lived in London I could do a brilliant parallel park in the tiniest of spaces (it was either that or lug the shopping and the babies from the next street) but since we came here if a space looks a bit tight - I just drive on to another.blush
Also I think the lines in car parks are drawn closer together than they used to be. Has Bart Simpson been at them perhaps? grin

ninathenana Fri 18-Jan-13 16:44:29

Gally I wanted to leave a note but DH (non-driver) wouldn't let me smile
Lilygran I've had to do the gearstick scramble before but there was not much more space on passenger side.

Lilygran Fri 18-Jan-13 16:26:28

Talking of lithe young men - I parked too close to a rather nice sports car a few weeks ago (I didn't realise I had until I got back to the car. The car the other side was over the line). The other driver got back the same time as me and I offered to go first so he could open his door. 'No worries' he said and went in through the passenger door, over the gear lever and hand brake and into the driver's seat. How I wish I could do that!

Gally Fri 18-Jan-13 15:53:33

I don't think it's just Beemer drivers who park like that. Sadly I often see drivers of a certain age blush drive into a space and abandon ship at an angle often taking up more than one space, thus making it impossible for the car alongside to reverse out easily. It's sheer laziness and inconsideration for other drivers. I have been known to leave a very stern note on the windscreen of the offending driver's car hmm

Ariadne Fri 18-Jan-13 15:39:27

Sel grin

Sel Fri 18-Jan-13 15:20:43

Ariadne I seem to remember the dealership doing that. Mine is a fuuny plate rather than a 'personal' one (in my defence!) I used to know a chap with a coach firm, he always had personal plates on the coaches so that the customers wouldn't realise how old they were - the coaches, not the customers smile