Gransnet forums

AIBU

Football matches vs family life

(11 Posts)
nanaej Sat 19-Jan-13 15:50:09

Pre 80s matches used to be at 3:00 p.m on a Saturday afternoon and be events that had mostly a family atmosphere and that kids could go to with dad &/or mum. I know that there has always been rivalry, hooligans etc and I do not have a totally rose tinted view of the past! But now the football industry is, IMO, upsetting some families lives..well certainly mine!

TV companies appear to have the power to decide when matches are played so they get maximum TV viewing. This means many are switched during the season, take place on Sundays and mid-week evenings. This is for a purely financial reason not to make it beneficial for players /fans.

The obscene salaries paid to players/managers etc have contributed to the sky high ticket prices precluding many families and yougsters from going. If governments were truly interested in resurrecting a more traditional 'family' life they would be sensible to look at Saturday afternoons and football scheduling /ticket prices!

Anyone else affected by this or am I the only one with a footie mad OH?

kittylester Sat 19-Jan-13 15:58:32

My DH and DS1 go to all home games as they are season ticket holders and they also go to all nearish away matches. The only impact it has on the rest of us that DD1 gets really annoyedd if there is a match when she wants to organise a family thing. I love having the house to myself on Saturday afternoons and try not to have anything that needs doing. I do, however, have to do a big fry-up for them before they go!

I agree with you though about the obscene amounts of money involved. One of the lucid things my mum comes out with is the fact that one knew all the local players and where they lived before it got silly. I even babysat for a couple of Derby County players who lived on the same road as us.

Movedalot Sat 19-Jan-13 16:13:58

Football has always been part of our marriage and I know it is important to DH so I do my best to accommodate it and him. Generally it works out but there have been times when I think he should have put family first. He is better now than he used to be. I was glad that DS1 eventually decided to give up his season ticket when the GSs came along. I would have been tempted to say something if he had not. He now just goes to an occassional match.

We are fortunate to have 2 televisions so we can separate when there is footie on. I think we are eating early tonight so he can watch via his laptop!

If you see me on GN after about 1800 you will know he is watching football. grin

Totally agree that it is all about money and has gone too far but don't know how that could be changed.

nanaej Sat 19-Jan-13 16:14:25

kitty if it was just Saturday afternoon I would not mind..I too relish a bit of 'me' timegrin & I have no problem with DH following his lifelong team!

It is a last minute swap to Easter Sunday at 4:00 p.m or similar that drives me nuts! Some matches are at noon, some at 3:00 and some at 4:30 and subject to alteration. I think I check the CFC website on a weekly basis to make sure I am up to date and so i can arrange other social events to fit round the fixtures!

kittylester Sat 19-Jan-13 16:38:13

From the sounds of it ej yours is a Premiership side!! Ours is only Championship (NFFC), so we don't get mucked about quite so much but heaven help us if we get promoted.

It's much easier now as DS2, DD2 and DD3 don't have Season Tickets since they had children.

We have a TV in the playroom (now designated the sitting room but no-one remembers!) and DH has bought a cross-trainer for in there, so the lounge is mine!!

Movedalot Sat 19-Jan-13 16:50:41

So does that mean Kitty that if DH's team go down this season (quite likely) that the dates will stop changing? That would certainly make life easier.

glammanana Sat 19-Jan-13 17:45:27

We have always been a football family but since the boys have left home things have changed and whilst mr.g. likes to watch premiership matches he is not to bothered,he does get annoyed that maybe some of his favourite programmes are re-schedualed.
DDs eldest 4 boys have not shown any interest in football but youngest little man is a member of 2 teams and he plays 3 times a week so it looks like we are set to be busy again with him and local matches and the requests to watch the matches on TV will once again be top of the list.
Its a shame the prices are so expensive for admission to games as it was a good family day out but now you will get no change from £60.00 if you want to take 2 juniors to watch either of our local teams,this is where the stupid amounts of money the players are being paid comes from,what family can afford that amount of money for 3 hrs entertainment.

numberplease Sat 19-Jan-13 17:49:02

Football was advertised as being on on Tuesday evening, kick off 7.45, so daughter and I recorded Eastenders. He swithed on in time for kick off, and it wasn`t on! We then had to wait till he`d finished channel hopping muchy later to watch our programme, Grrrrr!!

nanaej Sat 19-Jan-13 18:55:30

DH always also records if he can (we do not have Sky) but he goes to as many matches as he can!

kittylester Sat 19-Jan-13 20:57:10

Movedalot they are not doing too badly at all unless you know something DH and DS don't know grin

harrigran Sun 20-Jan-13 10:53:59

Overheard on camera ' you should be thanking those people up there who spent £62 on a ticket to watch ' Are they totally mad ? who can afford to waste that kind of money ? confused