Gransnet forums

AIBU

To wish posters would read the whole thread?

(78 Posts)
Lilygran Sat 09-Feb-13 10:37:18

Sometimes the wandering and bizarre nature of threads is highly entertaining. Quite often, it's just irritating. It's like the meeting where the minutes have been read and agreed and matters arising have arisen and gone then someone who was dozing or talking to a friend or hanging their coat up suddenly realises they've missed it and wants to pick up on something that's already been dealt with. In real life the chairman could move on or they could be filled in by another member. But on GN if you refer someone to an earlier post you tend to get
ratty offended remarks confused

Bags Sun 10-Feb-13 07:51:31

Whether it makes sense is irrelevant. People are not always going to read a whole thread. They pick up a small thing and comment. If it drives you mad, that's tough, and something you just have to live with. It's easy enough to filter out the dross and focus on the parts that matter to you.

I suppopse it isn't easy for some people to be tolerant and patient of ordinary human behaviour hmm

Bags Sun 10-Feb-13 07:59:08

I tend to read the whole thread of ones I am particularly interested in, but rarely all at once. If I come upon the thread at its start, I just try and keep pace with it, including diversions and digressions. If a meander interest me, I might take part in that. If a meander doesn't interest me and I want to get back to the crux of the matter (if it has one), then I'll base my remarks on the comments that are relevant to my interest, even if that means ignoring some newer irrelevant ones.

It's not difficult.

Lilygran Sun 10-Feb-13 08:03:30

Bags suppose you were idly hanging around without really paying attention to a conversation going on next to you and you got hold of the wrong end of the stick because you hadn't heard the beginning? You might leap in and make an inappropriate contribution. And the other people would either think you had lost your marbles or they would explain what they were talking about. And yes, thank you, like Mary Poppins I'm practically perfect. sunshine

Bags Sun 10-Feb-13 08:04:38

It's even easier to complain about what other people do though, isn't it? wink

Bags Sun 10-Feb-13 08:06:16

Exactly, lily. And that's what happens. People butt in. Others explain.

People even butt in when they think they have got hold of the stick at the right end.

Shocking, wot? wink

Lilygran Sun 10-Feb-13 08:06:24

Don't we all?

Bags Sun 10-Feb-13 08:07:44

My point?

It's ALLOWED!

Whether some people like one way of conducting a GN thread or another is simply irrelevant.

They can carry on complaining, of course. That's allowed too.

Bags Sun 10-Feb-13 08:08:41

But they shouldn,t be surprised when some of us just say, in effect, Pish!

Lilygran Sun 10-Feb-13 09:26:20

Not reading things (anything) all the way through leads to miscommunication, misunderstanding, misinterpretation and tedious repetition. All these are certainly ALLOWED. But dysfunctional. And it isn't like face-to-face conversation where you can quickly explain.

whenim64 Sun 10-Feb-13 10:00:40

Dysfunctional - that's a bit strong Lilygran. Speed reading, checking out the OP, and hurrying past meandering or flippant posts isn't dysfunctional, in my view. It depends on the seriousness, or otherwise, of the thread. And, dare I suggest, it also depends on who else has contributed. There are some threads that are peppered with posts that appear to have only one purpose - to stir things up a bit. They are the threads where I tread carefully....or just stay away hmm

Bags Sun 10-Feb-13 10:07:50

Gransnet isn't a formal debating forum so it's unreasonable to expect it to behave like one.

And anyway, even with all these 'problems', you can always explain slowly and reasonably instead of quickly. Or you can just carry on being grumpy. (that 'you' is not personal)

Forzanonna Sun 10-Feb-13 10:59:32

I think I've read this whole thread - quickly and while doing other things - but I must say, I'm now scared to post anything in case I'm accused of things I didn't mean. Have been on GN a week and read a few things which have made me unsure (as well as a lot of things I've enjoyed) but this just takes the biscuit. Wouldn't presume to be flippant with a serious subject but thought chat was just that - chat. May not be back. sad

whenim64 Sun 10-Feb-13 11:04:20

Welcome Forzanonna. I hope you didn't visit this thread first - there are many other active threads that I woud have read as a new Gransetter, before deciding what sort of a place this is. Why not read through a variety of threads beore making your judgement? smile

absent Sun 10-Feb-13 11:05:38

Forzanonna Hi – don't be put off. Of course, there's lots of cheery chat on Gransnet, as well as discussion about serious subjects and help and advice when sought by a member having a bad time. Is there an Italian connection in your family? if so, benvenuto.

Bags Sun 10-Feb-13 11:08:03

Don't be scared, forza. The grumpies don't dominate. Welcome to gransnet smile

Galen Sun 10-Feb-13 11:15:59

Forzanna I'm one of the flippant ones, but when I'm serious I do not get my knickers in a twist if some one meanders or is flippant!
I think in that I'm more like Bags but not as bright or serious.
When all is said and done its only a forum and a thread within the aforesaid!

Follow Wellingtons advice "Publish and be dammed!"grin

Wellcome, to the site by the waysmile

Galen Sun 10-Feb-13 11:17:13

Absent are you thinking of ?Verdi the force of destiny?

j08 Sun 10-Feb-13 11:17:46

Oh, this "trivialising of threads all started when someone put up a thread "What would you do if you were Prime Minister?" I happened to post, "have a lovely holiday at Chequers". Shot down in flames!! hmm

Let it drop!

soop Sun 10-Feb-13 11:31:03

I shall continue to be one of the irritating few that "meander". It's what I do best. So there! wink

Bags Sun 10-Feb-13 11:31:41

I thought that was a brilliant reply, jings grin

j08 Sun 10-Feb-13 11:33:42

Yes. Well..... So did I. At the time of posting! grin

Bags Sun 10-Feb-13 11:34:10

galen, go and read my latest comment on the horsemeat thread. Dead serious, me wink

Galen Sun 10-Feb-13 11:37:56

I liked it as well .
Bags yes ma'am, going to try and find it!
Shuffling around in discarded threads!

soop Sun 10-Feb-13 12:30:00

Galen ...it will make you chuckle. grin

Bags Sun 10-Feb-13 13:10:28

The oak table's the best bit – bugger to get in for milking grin