Gransnet forums

AIBU

phone dialling codes rant

(11 Posts)
NfkDumpling Mon 18-Feb-13 19:28:31

Thanks Orca

Movedalot Mon 18-Feb-13 17:57:25

Yes, number they think we don't know anything and have no life expereince sometimes. Last week DS1 was explaining to me how busy he is with his 2 children and how frantic bathtime can be as if this was something I knew nothing about grin

numberplease Mon 18-Feb-13 17:35:12

Thank you Movedalot, I thought that must be the case, but he was so convinced that he was right!

Movedalot Mon 18-Feb-13 17:06:37

No, there is no charge for 1471 but then it asks you if you want to be connected and if you do there is, I believe, quite a hefty premium. Much better to write down the number and dial it yourself.

numberplease Mon 18-Feb-13 16:14:26

My son tells me it costs to dial 1471 now, is that true

mrsmopp Mon 18-Feb-13 16:13:52

And they know how to milk you by extending the length of time it takes to get through to whoever you want to speak to. - as in "you have five options. Press one if you want to make an enquiry, Press two if you want to ask a question, Press three to speak to an advisor, Press four to make a complaint, press five to hear these options again.
By then I am tearing my hair out, jumping up and down and foaming at the mouth and screaming "Get on with it, I am paying for this you dozy morons!!!"

"All our advisors are busy but please hold the line as your call is important to us."
Aaaagggghhhhhhh!!!!!

Orca Mon 18-Feb-13 08:18:33

telephone price help

vampirequeen Mon 18-Feb-13 07:52:21

There are so many numbers it's confusing.

Notso Mon 18-Feb-13 07:36:00

Not unreasonable mrsmopp it make me furious too. The website that gives alternative numbers isn't comprehensive. If you obtain a landline number and ring it you often get a message saying it's no longer in use. You are right, it is a complete rip off.

I always tell companies with those numbers that I'm not prepared to pay their preimum rates and get them to phone me back. Even then, you still have to pay the exhorbitant cost of being connected and waiting to be spoken to be a human being whilst listening to 'Your call is important to us' messages!!!

kittylester Mon 18-Feb-13 07:13:04

I agree Mrsmopp but I thought 0845 numbers were charged as local - when did that change?

mrsmopp Mon 18-Feb-13 00:56:16

I am so annoyed at these dialling codes that cost more than the going rate - even the local hospital uses them. Is it a money spinner for them? I'm talking about those 0870, 0871 0845 etc. when phone bill comes they have charged 90p for a short phone call. Its outrageous and should be STOPPED!!
Its a RIP OFF.
yes I know there's a website that gives you the alternate number, but at the other end they tell you not to use it and you have to ring the 0871 number! Government departments, tax offices, they are all at it. Poor souls without internet dont have access to the normal landline number. Daylight robbery!