Gransnet forums

AIBU

To just ASK if travelling expenses are paid?

(18 Posts)
Anne58 Wed 06-Mar-13 17:43:24

Evening all,

I had an interview on Feb 14th for which the recruiter said that the company concerned would pay travelling expenses. (Didn't get the job, but learnt a lot about some new interview techniques)

I have been invited for an interview on March 13th for a field sales role covering Devon & Cornwall, but the interview is in Enfield! shock

I am thinking of asking the agency to ask their client if they are prepared to cover reasonable expenses.

Any thoughts?

PS Don't want to look like a cheapskate, however perhaps asking this question shows some business acumen?

Thanks.

Nonu Wed 06-Mar-13 18:02:27

You must ask for expenses , thet is quite a long way to travel .

Lots of luck to you , you deserve it . x

absent Wed 06-Mar-13 18:20:32

phoenix If the agency asks, it's no reflection on you (or any other client). So get them to do it. [good luck emoticon] [fingers crossed emoticon]

Galen Wed 06-Mar-13 18:35:30

Ask!

Ariadne Wed 06-Mar-13 18:41:48

Yes, get the agency to do it! And good luck! Xx

glammanana Wed 06-Mar-13 18:46:03

Yes the right thing to do is to get the Agency to ask the question,very best of luck you deserve it.(all parts crossed for you)

johanna Wed 06-Mar-13 18:56:36

phoenix
You should not have to ASK.
No, you will not look a cheapskate.
Is it not normal practice to reimburse travelling expenses?
If, you do decide to go for the interview why not ask THEM straight out?

johanna Wed 06-Mar-13 19:09:41

And good luck!

grumppa Wed 06-Mar-13 19:37:01

Of course you should ask.

Good luck.

Anne58 Wed 06-Mar-13 19:38:27

Thank you all for the responses, they are appreciated.

I will ask the agency to find out, although of course I have no control over as to how they might phrase the question!

I have decided that I will attend the interview, I really did like the sound of the job, so it would be foolish not to take the opportunity to be included in the selection process.

Now, how to lose 1.5 stone in just under a week.............confused

Elegran Wed 06-Mar-13 19:50:49

Several gallons of coffee made from green beans? (See another thread)

You'd be so wired you'd be interviewing them.

Riverwalk Wed 06-Mar-13 19:54:12

Phoenix I read an article a few months ago, sorry can't remember where, that you can claim for a travel voucher from the Job Centre - you need to show proof of interview that's lined-up, but you must claim it before you travel as you present the voucher at the station.

Anne58 Wed 06-Mar-13 19:56:25

Elegran that did make me grin ! I do tend to get a bit "bouncy" after too many coffees!

Especially when Mr P has ground the beans and then made a pot of "proper" coffee. Two mugs of that and you feel as if you have been plugged into the mains!

I do believe I have posted about that before (senile numpty disclosure rule Page 275, paragraph 2.14 applies.)

Greatnan Wed 06-Mar-13 21:37:25

You must certainly ask, Phoenix. I was very annoyed when my grandson did not get any expenses for an interview with Frontier, for voluntary work overseas. I had to pay his rail fare to London, from Hull, and for an overnight stay in the cheapest place we could find in London. They obviously wanted only rich kids!

Greatnan Wed 06-Mar-13 21:37:44

And the company will be able to claim it against tax!

Anne58 Wed 06-Mar-13 22:46:05

Again, many thanks for the responses and good wishes.

Riverwalk , will be driving, and I'm pretty sure Jobcentre do not cover car travel.

I had a bit of a run in with the DWP re my Jobseekers allowance, was tempted to start a thread but didn't. Suffice to say that I have had a letter from them saying that I'm not entitled to any benefit as I have not paid enough contributions for years ending April 2011 & 2012! shock

I find this a bit odd as according to my P60's (NI only, NOT tax) amount paid in year ending April 2011 was just over £3k, and for year ending 2012 was just over £2,800

I phoned them on Monday to query this, really wish I had got the name of the idiot, patronising git person that I spoke to as he was rude in the extreme!

Anne58 Thu 07-Mar-13 15:13:30

Well, the agency asked on my behalf, and company have said they will pay £50 towards travel, which is better then nothing.

I've just checked on the AA route planner and it's 262 miles each way!

JessM Thu 07-Mar-13 16:02:38

Bit tight.
The job centre used to reimburse people for interview expenses once upon a time i think.
Good luck.