Gransnet forums

AIBU

force feeding 12mth old !!

(18 Posts)
ninathenana Sat 23-Mar-13 22:15:33

DGS has had digestive problems since birth. He is on drugs 3 times a day. He has been hospitalised on several occasions.
He has been in hospital since Wednesday. Unwilling to swallow even milk. He did have NG tube but pulled it out this morning so they tried him with a bottle earlier. He wouldn't take it so one nurse pinned him to the bed while the other force fed him !!
He was screaming and fighting
DD totally traumatised and left room in tears.

Mishap Sat 23-Mar-13 22:19:35

Heavens - that seems a bit unnecessary. One can't help feeling there must be some other way with such a little tot.

I am sorry that he and your DD have had to go through such a dreadful experience.

whenim64 Sat 23-Mar-13 22:21:54

Why, when he just needed the tube putting back? Poor child. My sister fosters children, one of whom was placed in care as a baby because of such treatment. Took a year before he was able to try food and swallow as a result of being force fed.

Greatnan Sat 23-Mar-13 22:26:57

I hope your DD complained long and loud to the hospital authorities. As long as medical professional/care assistants get away with poor behaviour, it will continue.

ninathenana Sat 23-Mar-13 22:27:01

Yes a PEG has been talked about (tube straight in to stomach) but they just don't seem to want to do it. Even when he's at his best she has to puree his food.

Thanks Mishap

Flowerofthewest Sat 23-Mar-13 22:40:55

I think complaints need to be raised, this is totally unacceptable. How traumatic for the child and the mother. A PEG is probably the best way for now, of course I am only speaking from my experience of working with children who have to be tube fed. All are different. Poor little soul and poor mum.

Flowerofthewest Sat 23-Mar-13 22:42:35

I once worked in a family centre and a mother was force feeding her three year old. I mentioned it to the Head of Care ( I was new at the job) Immediately a meeting was called with a SW and the mother plus myself. The mother only needed guidance, reason why she was at the FC. the health care professionals should have known better!

grannyactivist Sat 23-Mar-13 23:13:08

nina I do know how hard it is to question health care providers, but I really do think an explanation for this 'treatment' should be asked for and a care plan should be requested. Generally the force feeding of an infant is considered to be an abuse, although there may be extreme medical exceptions. It's a horrible situation to be in and I'm sure both you and your daughter want to be able to trust the medics to do whatever is best for the little one, but unless there is good communication it will be hard to build trust in view of the sort of practise you've described.

whenim64 Sat 23-Mar-13 23:17:15

The child my sister looked after had a PEG until he was able to swallow sufficient food to maintain his weight. He would probably have been one of those babies who feed poorly, but forcing him ruined any chances of him being weaned onto solids. I hope your daughter and baby are both ok nina

Nelliemoser Sat 23-Mar-13 23:46:27

They would probably have to physically restrain his arms or sedate him to stop him from pulling any NG or PEG tube out though, and if a child is not getting the nourishment it needs due to other medical issues this has be adressed.

As others say a proper care plan bout this problem needs to be fully discussed and agreed.

How really dreadful for you all.

nanaej Sun 24-Mar-13 12:41:30

This does sound very distressing but maybe it was not as awful as it sounds. nina your DD was obviously upset and maybe the nurses were trying the least intrusive option /trying to prevent more traumatic procedures. Sometimes necessary treatments look more alarming than they are. If however the child was hurt in the process it is very inappropriate. If he did ingest enough food/fluid to prevent more dramatic treatment maybe it was the lesser of two evils? Any medical professionals out there to explain?

Movedalot Sun 24-Mar-13 12:55:55

How old is he?

If nanaej is right and she well may be as it is difficult to know when it is third hand, I think that the communication needs to be addressed. It is essential that the mother knows what is being done and why. Please give her the confidence to ask.

Riverwalk Sun 24-Mar-13 13:06:24

It's many decades since I was a paediatric nurse but even in those days it was a big 'no-no' to force-feed a young child.

I keep re-reading the OP to confirm that one nurse pinned him to the bed whilst the other fed him and he was screaming and fighting - he could have aspirated the feed into his lungs!

And what did they do for the next feed?

The child must have been so traumatised - it'll be a wonder he ever takes a feed again.

It would have been kinder to splint his arms and re-insert the NG tube. The next step I suppose is a PEG feed.

POGS Sun 24-Mar-13 15:55:50

ninanthenana

I can't profess to have any input into your problem, I simply have no knowledge of paediatrics.

All I can say is, as one granny to another, I feel very sad for you and your daughter. This obviously has been a very trying 12 months for all of you, the poor little soul.

I would like to think that the nurses 'knew' what they were doing, given they were the ones at that moment in time to be taking care of his welfare. I am also sadly aware that this is not always the case. I hope you and your daughter manage to discuss this problem with the hospital and the outcome is not as you both fear. flowers

Elizabeth1 Mon 25-Mar-13 17:45:04

Force feeding anyone far less a wee baby is a definite no no. Cruelty at its best and reportable as a criminal offence. [Shock[ There are many ways which should be looked into if children are refusing or unable to eat, to ensure they have the means to receive a healthy and nutritional diet. I remember when my children refused certain foods and it is definitely a stressful time for any mum and or gran. Thinking of you flowers

cary Mon 25-Mar-13 22:15:03

Hi Nena It sounds quite drastic but there must ne another way.

My Father was so distraught with me when I was a childe as I also refused to eat. He took me to the Doctors and explained how little I ate but the Doctor did not believe my Gather and accused him of exageratting, so he left me at the hospital for 2 days!!

When mine did not want to eat I would just give them juicy fruits like grapes or pineapple or even water melon if in season and it usually coaxed open their appetites.

You don't say how old he is but helping with the cooking in the kitchen usually encourages children to enjoy food.

I wish him better

ninathenana Tue 26-Mar-13 09:30:57

His age is in the title of the thread Cary smile
H
It's not that he willfully refuses food. He has a medical condition for which he takes meds 3 times a day. And is on prescription formula milk. Every so often he has a flare up which makes it painful to swallow and causes him to vomit.

Grannygreyhips Mon 01-Apr-13 18:48:40

A child should NEVER be force-fed. Apart from the danger of aspiration and trauma to the mouth and gums, it could result in him being too scared to attempt to eat in the future. You should complain in writing directly to the consultant who is responsible for his care and to the hospital Trust. Good luck and best wishes to your little grandson.