Gransnet forums

AIBU

shopping

(4 Posts)
westendgirl Tue 09-Apr-13 14:28:26

Am I being unreasonable in looking back with longing to the days when if I wanted to buy a new oven I could go to one of several shops ,look at the product, take measurements, open doors, try controls etc etc etc.I need to buy a new microwave, know which one I am interested in, but can I find a retailer stocking it.They don't do them at John Lewis unfortunately and most of the rest are either difficult to get to or have to be ordered on line with all the resulting hassle if it wont do.I do find it a pain and yes I know that I can save money ,but I wouldn't mind paying a bit more at a local retailer just to have the convenience.

numberplease Tue 09-Apr-13 15:11:54

Yes, we were saying only the other day that we wished that the gas and electricity showrooms were still around. It`s not always possible to get a proper look at appliances on their websites, and like you say, it`s a hassle sending things back.

ninathenana Tue 09-Apr-13 15:21:26

Not at all. With you all the way. It's 10miles to our nearest showroom for ovens etc.
I had to travel twice that to sit on a sofa before buying it. Why would anyone do otherwise.

ninathenana Tue 09-Apr-13 15:26:22

Sorry that last sentence doesn't sound how I meant it.
Was trying to say that yes certain items just have to be inspected before purchase