Gransnet forums

AIBU

Margaret Thatcher

(278 Posts)
Eleanorre Tue 09-Apr-13 17:23:11

Do you find the vilification of Margaret Thatcher in some area in bad taste ? Despite what we might think of her she still was someones mother , wife etc..
My niece put a comment on Facebook about burning in hell and I could not let her say that without putting in my views . It really upset me that people could be so cruel to someone not long dead.

agapanthus Wed 10-Apr-13 22:54:55

It seems strange that there are two threads about Lady Thatcher ,the other one mainly anti and this one pro. I was beginning to think that the whole of G N was against her until I found this thread, which is not what the opinion polls have reported.Are people too intimidated to state their positive views of her the other thread? But perhaps I am being a bit dim.

Ana Wed 10-Apr-13 23:02:14

There are actually more than two, agapanthus, but I'll copy my post from one of the others here:

'I think I posted on another thread - or it could have been this one - that any pro-Mrs Ts among posting Gransnet members may well not be prepared to face the negative responses they'd get if they ventured to put their views forward. Let's not pretend that wouldn't happen.'

I think that just about sums it up. And no, you're not being dim! smile

Eloethan Wed 10-Apr-13 23:06:42

There are mixed opinions on this thread and on the other thread.

What do people mean "intimidated"? Are you intimidated because someone has a different view from your own?

gillybob Wed 10-Apr-13 23:16:14

In the past I admit to being feeling intimidated by others who may have held very different views than myself. But these days I tend to just agree to disagree and move on. I try not to take anything too personally and it does take all kinds to make a world after all doesn't it? How boring would life be if we all agreed all of the time? smile

At least the death of Mrs T ( whatever your political views) has given us something to talk about . smile

gillybob Thu 11-Apr-13 08:27:49

Don't know whether I am coming or going with all these Mrs T threads. I am sure I have replied to a few posts on the wrong threads. confused

j08 Thu 11-Apr-13 08:33:32

Oh yes - look This one needs an airing. Only 30 posts.

Keep up at the back there!

Sel Thu 11-Apr-13 08:42:17

Oooh, is this the nice thread? Am I detecting a bit of humour even? Is humour a right wing thing do you think? Does being left wing make you more wrinkled? grin

j08 Thu 11-Apr-13 08:48:33

Yeah well. They've featured my 'idiotic thickos' one on the front page!

Surprisingly. hmm

j08 Thu 11-Apr-13 08:50:11

(In the news)

See?

Sel Thu 11-Apr-13 08:54:32

No j08 where? The Guardian?

j08 Thu 11-Apr-13 08:57:00

No!!! grin (delusions of grandeur?) Front 'page' of Gransnet!

Sel Thu 11-Apr-13 09:02:26

Ah ok. Won't be asking for autographs but will take a look, it's a start. smile

moomin Thu 11-Apr-13 09:02:29

Sel j08 grin

Greatnan Thu 11-Apr-13 09:11:53

I love the idea that humour might be a right wing thing. I don't remember Thatcher being a laugh a minute, but I do remember several excellent satirical shows, which were probably made by those humourless left wingers grin
And as I approach my 2,000 mark for jokes posted, I think I can safely claim to have quite a good sense of humour.

Sel Thu 11-Apr-13 09:22:40

I don't know Greatnan I do just find some of the comments on here make me chuckle. I agree, MT was not a laugh a minute person.

Nanban Thu 11-Apr-13 09:28:10

Well, I guess even unionists can't be all bad WhenIm!

Nice conversation though and at least, unlike The Yoof of today who are rioting and protesting at her life, we were there. We did live it.

absent Thu 11-Apr-13 09:32:20

Not speaking ill of the dead? When Jimmy Saville died, I posted a fairly bland comment on Gransnet, but just before I did I deleted the last sentence in which I described finding him a bit weird and creepy because I thought maybe it was not appropriate in the context. Yeah…

Sel I think Margaret Thatcher was renowned for not having a sense of humour which caused much merriment in the Tory party. "Everyone should have a little Willy" etc.

j08 Thu 11-Apr-13 09:57:21

Oh yes Absent! grin

bluebell Thu 11-Apr-13 09:57:36

Speaking ill of the dead - if Philpott died in prison I wonder what the reaction would be?

Sel Thu 11-Apr-13 10:06:39

I hardly think the comparison stands up bluebell

bluebell Thu 11-Apr-13 10:43:27

The point I was making was that many posts said the dead (in general it was implied) should be respected - they didn't actually mean that at all, they meant, don't you dare criticise MT. Of course it's perfectly right to criticise people after their death, there is no general rule.

Sel Thu 11-Apr-13 10:53:42

bluebell criticism is perfectly fine, it's vitriol and hatred that are so distasteful and unacceptable. Regardless of your opinion of MT, an elected politician,using Philpott, a convicted criminal as a comparison is slightly odd. I don't think you're the first though if that's any consolation. Someone remarked on one of the threads something about not being able to criticise Hitler & Pol Pot then.

bluebell Thu 11-Apr-13 10:59:50

Sel - many posts were making the general point that it was wrong to criticise a person after their death. They didn't really mean that - that's why I made my point and why the point was made about Pol Pot and Hitler.

Ana Thu 11-Apr-13 11:04:46

How do you know what the posters meant, bluebell? That's twice you've asserted that 'they didn't really mean that'.

soop Thu 11-Apr-13 11:22:38

Deep sigh..........................................I'm wandering away from all this yakkity yak. Maybe meet others of a like-mind in the quiet room #shortbread&brewsmile