Gransnet forums

AIBU

...to hope that the presentyation of the weather forecast should be helpful?

(24 Posts)
Enviousamerican Wed 17-Apr-13 23:46:48

Warm bread and fresh sheets! A new Yankee candle fragrance perhaps?

j08 Wed 17-Apr-13 23:28:51

" I just went put to fetch the washing in when the bread maker finished and it was spotting with rain. The washing was pretty dry though just needs airing. "

#domesticbliss wink

Latent Wed 17-Apr-13 23:25:52

I always use the Met office website - it has a useful surface pressure analysis chart for five days out and you can see across the North Atlantic so you can check what's coming. Handy when the garden needs watering!
Although they promised faithfully on P.M on Radio 4 sometime ago that they would stop telling a "weather story" and just give us regional forecasts, I obviously don't have the concentration to listen long enough for my part of the country!

Nonu Mon 15-Apr-13 14:17:48

D. LOL

sunseeker Mon 15-Apr-13 13:52:36

deserving grin

deserving Mon 15-Apr-13 13:49:34

if you see white clouds they are empties going back to Manchester to be refilled.

Nelliemoser Sat 13-Apr-13 15:17:41

Yup! I just went put to fetch the washing in when the bread maker finished and it was spotting with rain. The washing was pretty dry though just needs airing.

sunseeker Sat 13-Apr-13 15:06:41

I can't understand why they feel the need to tell us what the weather has been like - I don't need to be told what it was like today I want to know what it will be like tomorrow!

annodomini Sat 13-Apr-13 15:06:07

Good idea, Nellie. Right now, as you probably know, it has started raining. Shame - now I won't be able to get out and do some of that weeding. And the rain will make more weeds grow. Can't win!

Nelliemoser Sat 13-Apr-13 14:00:44

Eloethan
Its the equinoxial gales coming a bit late but so is spring!
That site is fun! They even have localish web cams.

I tend to pick through the different forecast sites to get the one that gives the best weather. grin

Mishap Sat 13-Apr-13 13:48:11

You can find a different forecast between the BBC's TV and website. DD and SIL get very angry with this, as they run outdoor events and their livelihood depends on accurate forecasts for their potential audience.

Eloethan Sat 13-Apr-13 11:24:05

I don't know if it's just me, but they seem to keep changing the forecast. I'm sure they said in the last few days that the weather was going to be much more "springlike", whereas yesterday there were rumours of 80 mph winds and heavy rain next week.

NfkDumpling Fri 12-Apr-13 22:21:08

Wow, tried the Norwegian one and it knew my town!

Anther good one is XCWeather.co.uk

NfkDumpling Fri 12-Apr-13 22:15:35

Due to popular demand we've got our isobars back on the local forecast - which we need 'cos the area has got so big. Our area covers from Great Yarmouth across to Milton Keynes and Northampton down to Southend.

Gally Fri 12-Apr-13 21:41:12

www.yr.no

annodomini Fri 12-Apr-13 21:34:05

this is a meteorological web site from Norway which is almost reliable.

laidback Fri 12-Apr-13 21:08:59

When I lived in Manchester we never knew what the weather would bring if you watched the National forecast on bbc. The route the presenter took up and down the map often completely missed out the NW!! Hope its changed?

annodomini Fri 12-Apr-13 20:49:30

Nellie if anything it's more unpredictable in NZ. The wind can turn round in a moment. A warm wind from Queensland changes to an icy blast from Antarctica. Like us, they are surrounded by ocean.

Nelliemoser Fri 12-Apr-13 20:42:48

Absent You will have to get used to totally new weather patterns when you move. I have no idea if NZ weather is as unpredictable as ours.
I am not going to look now as I have been on GN for far too long as it is today.

absent Fri 12-Apr-13 20:32:23

Nelliemoser I am not going to marvel at big low pressure areas coming at us from the Atlantic as it only encourages them.

Nelliemoser Fri 12-Apr-13 20:20:29

Me too Absent bring back isobars!
The online met office stuff also dumbed down its basic weather stuff but you can dig about to see the more detailed pictures and marvel at the big low pressure areas coming at us from the Atlantic.

absent Fri 12-Apr-13 19:58:12

I think it has dumbed down. I like isobars and I understand what an anticyclone is.

Mishap Fri 12-Apr-13 19:36:21

That should read "presentation"!

Mishap Fri 12-Apr-13 19:32:10

I get most irritated by the weather on BBC TV - the shot zooms around at speed, so that you cannot concentrate on your bit of the country. It was so much better (....when I was a girl!) when the forecaster's voice was backed by a full weather map of Britain so that you could fully take in your area whilst other areas are being talked about.

This is a bad use of technology - just because you can now zoom about the map does not mean it is better that way - it is just pointless.