Gransnet forums

AIBU

Turning 70!!

(73 Posts)
JammieB Thu 18-Apr-13 20:54:40

AIBU to be absolutely freaking out about being on the verge of this HUGE (in my mind) number!
I don't want a party, I would rather nobody even mentioned it!! Maybe it is to do with the three score and ten analogy - or the fact that my Mother died in her early 70's - or maybe something else - trouble is I don't know WHAT the problem is, I feel tearful at even having to write this!
I know I don't LOOK 70 - not particularly wrinkled, bit soggy around the middle but long legs and a bum that stays up, perky boobs thanks to a double mastectomy reconstruction - it's just that I feel I'm NOW being labelled against my will, just had to reapply for my driving licence to enable me to zap around the countryside in my convertible!! - that sucks!!!
Comments please??

Sheilagh Wed 24-Apr-13 19:10:10

I was seventy ten years ago, didn't ever think I would get this far but I have,so I am making the best of it, I go to a keep fit class three times a week which I thoroughly enjoy, we do exercises to lovely music, very lively, I go out to lunch with friends and try to enjoy life as much as possible, not the same since my old man is no longer here but life as they say goes on. I have a lovey family so I count myself very lucky.
My son got me an iPad when I was eighty and I've enjoyed joining gransnet and following your messages, is that right I havnt got the jargon sorted yet.

JammieB Wed 24-Apr-13 16:00:58

Thanks ladies - it isn't the BEING 70 - it's the AGE 70!! It's the label of an age that gets to me!
Trying not to get tooooo deep into this but - I do not like being catagorized by the number of years that have past since I was born - not taking into account what I have done in that time - this grouping together under one massive umberella of everybody born in 1943 and slapping a label on them!!!
OK - rant over - need a sit down and a cup of tea!! (after all I AM nearly 70!!!) LOL

Maniac Mon 22-Apr-13 19:06:14

Grannylin I don't have a list.I try to stay open to opportunities!
j08- a few years younger than me-but near to retirement!

MargaretX Sun 21-Apr-13 21:05:26

Once its over, its better and at 71 you'll not even notice. Its not how old you are its how long have you still got and nobody knows that.

You are sure you don't look 70 but what does 70 look like nowadays? Sure thing is, we look old to the young.
Any how Happy Birthday.....

scorpio Sun 21-Apr-13 15:35:56

Well, on the down-side, before I was 70, I had 2 pulmonary embolisms, was diagnosed with an untreatable lymphoma and advised to have both hips replaced,(the first one went wrong, metal to metal, not the best). Just after my 70th birthday my husband died (we met when I was 15, first boyfriend!).

Now I am 71 life has taken off! It's true I cannot walk very far, still have L. and get a bit tired BUT my sense of humour has reached new limits (some might say new depths!). Just being alive is FUN! There is so much to laugh about, so much wonderful music to hear, paintings to be painted etc. The flowers in the garden are more beautiful than ever, their scent is more heady, I have herbs I can trample on and a whole multitude of goldfinches, greenfinches chaffinches, bluetits and 2 robins feeding just outside my kitchen window. Who needs to travel! Would just like a little more sunshine!

Greatnan Sun 21-Apr-13 07:01:34

When I read that somebody in the news is 70+, I think they are old, but somehow it doesn't apply to me! I can remember what women of my age looked like when I was young and I don't look like them. (Even with white hair and no make-up!)
My mother stayed fit and active for a long time - she visited me in Monaco when she was 80 - her first time abroad - and she walked up all the 360 steps to the palace. She was still ball-room dancing up to the age of 86 and had a lovely posture. Then she had a series of small strokes that led to dementia - she was very stubborn and would not take her bp tablets because she didn't like some of the side effects. I take mine religiously (I wonder why we say that!).

celebgran Sun 21-Apr-13 00:13:16

Jo8 you have woggle s which help you float!

cathy Sat 20-Apr-13 21:33:52

Brilliant absent smile

KatyK Sat 20-Apr-13 18:17:47

JammieB. It was 50 for me. I dreaded it. I couldn't believe that I was going to be that old! 49 doesn't sound so bad. I think it may have been because my mom died at 58 and she seemed so old. In the end I enjoyed my 50th. Everyone around me made it really lovely. 60 came and went and I didn't think much about it and I haven't thought about 70, although I'm sure when it creeps up on me I may feel differently. I try to have the attitude - well I'm still here and (almost) in one piece after all life's
traumas. Try to enjoy it - not easy sometimes I know.

Grannylin Sat 20-Apr-13 10:10:08

Wow!Maniac just revised my list of things to do.!! What's left on yours?grin

Greatnan Sat 20-Apr-13 09:48:30

Nonu, don't call jingle Jo, she doesn't like it! grin

Ariadne Sat 20-Apr-13 09:42:46

grin

j08 Sat 20-Apr-13 09:31:09

I did say "in my experience".

How old was your hairdresser?!

Maniac Sat 20-Apr-13 09:25:36

Some things I’ve done since 70 – new part-time job, moved house twice.- snorkelling in the Maldives, tour of California, first cruise (thanks to Galen)
-an enjoyable affair (with my hairdresser) in my mid 70s ! Learned to play bridge and water colour painting. And Joined Gransnet!!
Much less energy than at 70 and have an arthritic knee . But my friends it’s not all downhill after 70

I’m just reading a book by Diana Athill –now 95!

Gally Sat 20-Apr-13 08:47:03

Quite right mrsmopp. There's nothing to be done about it, nature will out and widowhood can get you at any time, I should know. Just be happy that you haven't arrived there yet and make the most of every day - Carpe Diem hmm

absent Sat 20-Apr-13 07:51:39

I am just about to embark on another great adventure in life so I haven't got time for trivial worries about how old I am.

cathy Sat 20-Apr-13 04:58:26

I really like petalus post and feel alot like that myself when it comes to age.

I can see no point in looking at it any other way.

The proof is that she is happy and people worrying about it are not smile

Not rocket science.

Thank you Petalus

mrsmopp Fri 19-Apr-13 23:44:38

I'm 69, so 70 is looming on the horizon. I too get the feeling that time is running out and I won't be able to do everything I would like to do, and I'm wondering how long I've got. Also I do dread widowhood as it scares me so much. And I fear my memory going.

Then chatting to a delightful neighbour who is 90 and fantastic, has all her wits about her. She said to me, "oh I wish I was 69 again! It would be wonderful."

We should keep things in perspective, count our blessings and make the most of every day.

grandimars Fri 19-Apr-13 23:18:50

I'm going to be 70 in September, and not worried at all. I don't want a big bash, though, a family lunch with children and grandchildren will do me nicely. My husband, from whom I have been amicably separated for the past thirteen years, was 70 last year, and we had a family gathering for his. He's welcome to mine if he wants to come. It will also be DS's 40th but I don't think we'll be having a joint bash!

HUNTERF Fri 19-Apr-13 22:51:10

Time has moved on fast since I had my first retirement at 54 and I am now 64.

On the sad side my wife and mother passed away just before I retired.

I came to Birmingham to join my daughters and father.
I have had a job which I got retired from again just over 5 years later.
I have become a granddad 4 times over.
Dad and myself got Andie our dog in 2006 a few days after our previous dog passed away and I noticed he was 7.

There have also been a lot of births in the wider family ( all girls ).
Sadly we have had several deaths as well ( men and women ).

Sadly my father passed away early in 2012. He said that he had only just got accustomed to being a granddad and he was suddenly a great granddad.

Frank

numberplease Fri 19-Apr-13 21:16:11

Greatnan, if I was white haired like you, I would definitely happily stay that way, but I`m brown with dirty grey streaks, not a nice look at all.
And if I was as fit as I wish I was, 70 would be alright, but can`t get about like I used to, and it`s limiting, especially being chief cook and bottle washer round here!

j08 Fri 19-Apr-13 21:03:13

I'm not upset about being 70 (71 actually. And a half smile)

Just not over the moon about losing strength.

The rest of being 71 is fine. smile

annodomini Fri 19-Apr-13 21:01:00

If you're upset about being 70, just think about the alternative. sad

j08 Fri 19-Apr-13 20:36:27

Oh good. smile

rozzo55 Fri 19-Apr-13 20:34:51

I had a great year celebrating at different times with different groups of friends & relations. Activities included a canal boat trip, a sculpture walk, time by the sea & an art therapy session. And now, if you're feeling like a poor old soul, thanks to Gransnet you can enter a competition for a Royal Weekend with Horlicks! My cup runneth over!!