Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to be a bit miffed about the cost

(29 Posts)
frida Mon 22-Apr-13 16:09:32

of washing machine repair? My washer is 4 years old and is going to cost £11O to have it fixed!! This is by H***oint under their 5 year parts warranty, the local repair shop quoted £140 for the same job!

Greatnan Sat 04-May-13 06:01:37

I believe a warranty cannot over-ride normal consumer law.

annodomini Sat 04-May-13 00:06:24

Isn't the catch that a 5-year parts warranty doesn't cover the labour to replace them, just the cost of the parts?

nanaej Fri 03-May-13 23:51:42

Ah I see..a typo!

Nonu Fri 03-May-13 23:01:21

"Over my head " not worth a coment !

golly gosh!!!

Ana Fri 03-May-13 22:48:33

Didn't you think it was quite funny, though Greatnan? Surely you can laugh at yourself sometimes....

Greatnan Fri 03-May-13 22:36:26

It didn't go 'over my head' - I didn't think it was worth a comment.

Granny23 Fri 03-May-13 01:02:18

Marelli try Greatnan's post at 17:07:02 on Monday and Moved''s response at 17:23 smile

Riverwalk Thu 02-May-13 21:12:36

Moved grin

Marelli Thu 02-May-13 20:56:45

I'm dense I know.....but where are the funny bits? I've gone over and over the thread.....confused

Nonu Thu 02-May-13 19:02:07

Well done Granny, you are on the ball . it is all fun !

J52 Thu 02-May-13 18:42:27

When MIL died 10 years ago we inherited her German make washing machine which was already 8-10 yrs old. It sat in our garage for 3 years, then a20p piece got stuck in our Italian make washing machine. We disconnected it and connected the German one. It worked perfectly and is still going. I only hope the Italian washing machine, repaired and sitting in the garage will still work when the other one gives up.
Wouldn't have wanted to pay for an extended warranty on either of them!!

Granny23 Thu 02-May-13 00:50:10

Took me 3 readings of the thread to find what was so funny grin

Nelliemoser Thu 02-May-13 00:26:09

I also now avoid extended warranties. Same principle as GrannyA

I now try to buy the brands of the bigger white goods that are listed as the most reliable.

I think for the very mechanically complicated appliances such as dishwashers and washing machine this is important. So far the dishwasher is beginning to show its age at 11yrs. The washing machine is 13yrs years old. It has just had the bearings replaced and seems to be functioning very well again.

york46 Wed 01-May-13 23:30:23

After being conned by a so-called extended warranty on a washing machine when we were first married 35 years ago, we have always refused to buy one that day to this. Looking back on all the appliances we have bought over the years, we must have saved a fortune by not taking out any extended warranties - and never had any problems with the items.

Marelli Tue 23-Apr-13 08:10:05

I never buy extended warranties for any appliance now. I used to do, because I worried that I wouldn't be able to afford repairs - it never dawning on me that if I'd saved the warranty money, I would have had enough for any repair anyway! Nowadays, I buy a less expensive model and if the worst comes to the worst, go and buy another one. Waste of resources no doubt, but by the time you've paid a call-out charge, listened to the engineer's 'sharp intake of breath', seen him shake his head, and then waited for him to return and fit the part, I think it's easier all round to go for a new one.

glammanana Mon 22-Apr-13 23:45:39

It makes me wonder how my lovely mum's washing machine lasted her over 25yrs and she washed for 5 DCs and dad,it was on everyday never a problem.The washer I have now needs a brain surgeon to understand some of the programmes,mr.glamma went out and bought it without me the salesman must have spotted him coming from a mile off.hmm

grannyactivist Mon 22-Apr-13 23:14:28

When a pushy sales assistant tries to get me to purchase the extended warranty, I have expressed shock that s/he is intimating that the appliance is not fit for purpose - I have twice walked out of shops having stated that I have no wish to buy something that the vendor believes won't last for a period of three to five years. grin

Eloethan Mon 22-Apr-13 18:35:17

This is typical isn't it. Everything costs so much to repair and sometimes, if you've had an appliance for a few years, you think you might as well just get a new one. It's so wasteful of resources.

Nonu Mon 22-Apr-13 18:07:14

The little grey cells get a bit tired after lots and lots and lots of posting .

Ana Mon 22-Apr-13 17:56:37

grin

harrigran Mon 22-Apr-13 17:53:45

I think that one went over the head Moved grin

Greatnan Mon 22-Apr-13 17:25:51

It depends on the article involved -I am pretty sure that it was once decided that large white goods should be expected to last five years.
Worth trying the CAB, surely?

Movedalot Mon 22-Apr-13 17:23:52

I don't think the Sale of Goods Act applies after so long. Shame.

Greatnan Mon 22-Apr-13 17:07:02

I should be repaired under the Sale of Goods Acts.

petra Mon 22-Apr-13 17:04:24

This makes my blood boil. Try and find the post that Movedalot mentioned.
Is your DH any good at DIY/ fixing things. Other than replacing the drum there's not much you can't buy and replace yourself.
What is going wrong?