Gransnet forums

AIBU

Dad's mobile phone.

(9 Posts)
HUNTERF Sat 27-Apr-13 09:31:51

Dad passed away early in 2012 and I now check his pre pay mobile phone for callers about once a week.
Nobody had phoned him since September but somebody tried to call him on it last week.
Is it correct etiquette to put a message on it to the effect that Dad has passed away and if they need to speak to a member of the family to call me on my phone or is this too impersonal.
I keep his phone as a spare in my car in case I need to make a call if I have forgotten mine.

Frank

Grannyknot Sat 27-Apr-13 09:42:29

Frankly I don't get it. Answer the call if you're there or call the person back and tell them that your dad passed away over a year ago, if they were actually trying to contact him properly (it may be a cold caller).

That's it! Simples.

HUNTERF Sat 27-Apr-13 10:06:05

Grannyknot

It may sound odd but the man who phoned was trying to get a meal organised. Dad did work with him and he went to a previous get together 2 years ago.
The gentleman who called said a few of the people at the last get together have passed away. He is 78.
I think the gentleman who phoned was the organiser but he did not know Dad that well.
He said he did not realise Dad's age.
Even when Dad went to the hospital medics were always asking if they had the right records.
They said he looked more like 70 to 75 not late 80's.
The basic get together started a few years before Dad retired and some of the original people still go but most are ones which joined after Dad retired.

Frank

Frank

Nanban Sat 27-Apr-13 10:37:31

Hello Frank - welcome to gransnet! All good advice but it must be tricky for you to have to break the news a year on. Still, better to ring them back so that you won't be bothered again.

Sorry Frank - I've just thought you might have been in gransnet for ages and I have missed your posts!

gracesmum Sat 27-Apr-13 23:09:26

smile Are you serious, nanban?

HUNTERF Sat 27-Apr-13 23:48:02

gracesmum

My posts are very reasonable and sensible.

Frank

Grannyknot Sun 28-Apr-13 08:01:35

Hi Frank, my reply was based on the fact that you last received a phone call for your dad in September last year, and now it is the end of April - so not that many phone calls. I'd just deal with each one when it comes in. Sounds like you had quite an interesting conversation with this most recent caller.

HUNTERF Sun 28-Apr-13 09:08:08

Grannyknot

I think it was unfortunate I had to change the house phone number within about 3 months of my father's death.
I was getting calls in the middle of the night from people who were aggrieved about the house being left to me rather than my father's ex.
Up to September I was amazed how many people I did not know called his mobile phone.
He did not use it much as he asked me to top it up and he only used about £10 credit about every 3 months plus.
The aggrieved people did call his mobile number as well but I did not have it on at night and I just deleted their calls.
When I received genuine calls on his phone I used my phone to call them back as it is on contract so hardly any of the credit has been used since Dad died.

Frank

gracesmum Sun 28-Apr-13 10:07:08

Never suggested your posts were anything other than serious/reasonable/sensible , Frank. The question was addressed to nanban simply because I was surprised, nay astounded,that she had not met you before on GN.