Gransnet forums

AIBU

Cause I have no sympathy for Amanda Knox?

(16 Posts)
Enviousamerican Wed 01-May-13 05:15:25

Im fixin to go to bed and I know very few of you are up but I can't go to sleep without saying after seeing the Dianne Sawyer interview I don't have an ounce of sympathy for her and never have. I watch thinking well now we will know more but that didn't happen.She was asked if she was there when the murder happened and she nodded her head downward like she was going to say yes but of course she said no. A body language expert would tell you when a person lies they may slightly nod their head yes before speaking.I can't believe she had the gaul to write a book but of course she needs the money.Her lack of emotion also surprised me.How could you talk about it without crying? Not me!

MiceElf Wed 01-May-13 07:13:05

I don't see how anyone can make a judgement based on a television interview. The place for that is in a properly constituted court of law.

All any of us know of this sad case is what we read or hear in the media, but it certainly seems that the Southern Italian police were less than competant in their initial investigation.

And the due processes of the law certainly seem to be very different to that which obtains in England.

However, when the higher court heard the case again, the process seemed to be much more like the system we are familar with.

But, notwithstanding any of this, it is a very dangerous thing to make any judgment about guilt or innocence on the subjective impressions of an interview on television.

Those of us in the UK will not forget the media vilification of that poor teacher in the case of the murdered student in Bristol. Happily, it didn't gat as far as court but that was due to police incompetence and a totally irresponsible media.

JessM Wed 01-May-13 07:28:22

I agree micelf that trial by media is inappropriate. envious I know it doesn't apply in this case, but when people accused in US courts are interviewed by the media in advance or during a trial we find it very strange. We have a sub judice rule that means there is a media blackout on this kind of interview or certain kinds of comment in the media as it can predjudice the jury (or even the judge). The UK court reigns supreme and not the media.

kittylester Wed 01-May-13 08:09:33

Whilst agreeing that trial by media is a dreadful thing, I imagine envious was really talking about not having sympathy for Amana Knox and I agree with her. On the basis of what I have seen and read, my instinct tells me that she is not very likeable. That doesn't mean I think she is guilty - just not very likeable.

absent Wed 01-May-13 08:17:32

I don't see why it is not possible to sympathise with someone in a serious predicament just because you don't warm to their personality. (I don't see how you can truly like or dislike Amanda Knox on the basis of the hysterical media and vilification in court at the time of the trial and a television interview or two since her aquittal.) Of course, the USA still has a double jeopardy rule and I should have thought that alone would be enough to evoke a certain amount of sympathy, given that she was acquitted on appeal and is now facing a retrial. The 800-year-old double jeopardy rule was done away with in the UK in 2005 (I think), but even now there has to be compelling new evidence to bring about a retrial. There does not appear to be any in this case.

sunseeker Wed 01-May-13 08:32:10

I don't feel we have the full details of this case to enable me to make a reasoned judgement (although my gut feeling is that she knows more than she is saying).

What I do find distasteful is her trying to make money from the death of someone she called a friend.

JessM Wed 01-May-13 08:36:36

But her legal costs must be high I would imagine. And increasing if she has to be re-tried.

sunseeker Wed 01-May-13 08:38:39

As I understand it she will not be returning to Italy for the second trial

JessM Wed 01-May-13 08:39:34

The Italian legal system sunk to a particular low in the eyes of scientists around the world last year when they sentenced seismologists for not accurately predicting an earthquake
www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20097554

gracesmum Wed 01-May-13 10:03:29

The initial trial seemed a fiasco at the time and I felt that the full facts had either never been discovered or revealed. As Absent says - "new evidence"? It doesn't sound like it. Of course Amanda Knox won't go back - would you? Whatever the truth of the case, Meredith's parents must be going through another hell all over again.

Forzanonna Wed 01-May-13 11:04:25

I'd agree kittylester, I couldn't say if she's guilty but she's not a very likeable person in my opinion. Wouldn't have thought Perugia was in Southern Italy MiceElf, not that it makes any difference confused

MiceElf Wed 01-May-13 14:10:23

No it doesn't. But from the perspective of the Trentino, it is!

Stansgran Wed 01-May-13 17:53:53

There seems little thought for Meredith or her family. I felt that the Knox girl was rightly judged guilty and felt appalled when she was let off. I gather she has had millions given to her for the book. I hope some of it goes to Meredith's family but I doubt it.

Deedaa Thu 02-May-13 21:12:41

As I think I have said elsewhere, the original investigation was probably flawed as the officer in charge has a reputation for making facts fit his theories. Ifr she returned she couldn't be sure of a fair trial and Meredith's family couldn't be 100% certain they had got a true verdict, so nobody would really win except the police.

JessM Fri 03-May-13 00:00:07

And the lawyers deeda hmm

FlicketyB Fri 03-May-13 10:39:16

The Italian legal system is labarinthyne and police and lawyers do not have to reach levels of evidence and impartiality that we expect in this country. I would not want anyone I care for to be locked in their system

BUT

I do think that throughout the whole process that ahs gone on since he tragic murder Amanda Knox seems to have behaved and talked in a way that can only make her situation worse and seems to lack any self awareness of the horror of what happens and any understanding of the grief and desolation of Meredith Kirchner's family and friends. She seems to have brought upon herself at least some of the troubles she has had.