Gransnet forums

AIBU

To expect to see what I'm buying?

(13 Posts)
Aka Tue 07-May-13 13:21:37

Bought some 'beauty serum' from a well known cosmetic company that puts booklets through your door. Ding dong! It was aimed at over 60's. It was packaged in a reasonably large, pump-action, silver container which actually only contained 30ml of this miracle substance. Had I been able to see into it I expect it would have been about a quarter full.
Not only that but I had to pump like mad to prime it and to get anything out. Not easy where you have arthritis in your hands.

Elegran Tue 07-May-13 13:41:55

I hope you contacted them to tell them this, Aka It may not make any difference but you never know - someone may be reading feedback and taking note of the response of the paying customers.

I always think that they pay for all those leaflets and promotion at the expence of value-for-money in the product.

Nonu Tue 07-May-13 13:47:08

has it done the trick though Aka ?

I could do with some
beauty serum , big time . grin

Sel Tue 07-May-13 13:50:03

Aka I think it's very common in cosmetics packaging - what you see is rarely what you get. I'd be inclined to ask for a refund especially as it was so difficult to pump. I use liquid soap and have the same, very irritating problem. The company you very discretely smile refer to are reputable and I'm sure would refund without question.

Elegran Tue 07-May-13 13:58:17

Which did a survey of eye creams - the one from Simple at £3.99 was as effective as the expensive ones. The same is probably true of their other preparations.

No-one seems to sell a magic wand that rolls back the years to age 20 or so.

annodomini Tue 07-May-13 14:08:02

I have take a well-known and well-regarded beauty company about the black packaging of a tube of foundation which prevents me from seeing when it needs replacing.

Elegran Tue 07-May-13 14:14:28

And then there is the makeup with the little applicator fixed onto the inside of the lid - and too short to reach the half-inch at the bottom of the jar. You can see there is some left, but you can't use it until you buy a packet of cotton buds to dip in.

annodomini Tue 07-May-13 14:38:26

I should have said 'taken to task' in my last post.

Grannyknot Tue 07-May-13 17:55:10

Beauty serums and the like (especially in the plunge bottles) are often 'all bottle and very little content' and the plunger dispenser means there is usually quite a bit left in it which can't be pumped out, and is unreachable unless you have a hammer and saw!

They should have told you though how much you're buying. Complain aka say you want your money back. Cheaters.

Mishap Tue 07-May-13 18:22:13

Jars of face cream tend to be large on the outside but conceal a much smaller inner section - very annoying, and hard to imagine why the manufacturers might think it would encourage you to buy their product again.

Ana Tue 07-May-13 18:32:19

They do have to state how much is contained on the bottle, though, and presumably in their sales blurb. I agree about the inaccessibility of the last few fluid ounces in a lot of containers, though. At least with tubes you can cut the bottom off!

GillieB Wed 08-May-13 14:35:00

Actually what irritates me more about beauty products is the size of the print on the leaflet which is supposed to tell you how to use the product. These days there are so many languages that the space available for all of them is so small that I can't see how anybody can read them.

annodomini Wed 08-May-13 15:25:31

The same goes for the list of ingredients, GillieB. I sometimes think that they don't want us to know what's in their products.