Gransnet forums

AIBU

Close the door and give me just one minute with this 'man'.

(147 Posts)
Marelli Wed 08-May-13 13:50:49

While I was at a village Community Police and Council meeting last night, my daughter was being attacked as she walked home from a self-help group with her friend. She was shot at close range by a BB (?) gun at least 5 times, in her thighs and lower back, as she turned away to protect herself. Apparently a BB gun is a gas-propelled pellet gun. The perpetrator wore a balaclava and demanded their bags. DD told him that they had no money on them and he just shot her. Just like that. Her friend was uninjured and was able to dial 999 as the attacker ran off, and when the police and ambulance arrived she was able to give what description she could, to them.
DD is in hospital, on an anti-biotic drip as the pellets could have been infected by his hands as he loaded the gun. 3 of the pellets will need to remain in her thighs as they are too deep to remove.
My DD has already had to deal with so much emotional stuff over the years, and just when she was attempting to get her life back on track by going to her self-help group this b.....d comes along and does this.
So....I really don't think I'm being unreasonable to want to have a private minute alone with him. One minute would be all I'd need. angry

harrigran Sun 08-Sep-13 23:59:54

Sorry to hear your news Marelli flowers

janeainsworth Sun 08-Sep-13 23:20:53

So sorry, Marelli, I do hope she comes back to you soon flowers

Granny23 Sun 08-Sep-13 23:19:19

So sorry to hear that you are 'estranged' again. I too hope that it is just a temporary thing, that your DD has withdrawn into herself until she comes to terms with her terrible experience.

I am interested in your mention of the Weebles. I had a colleague at Women's Aid who had been horrendously abused and threatened in her first marriage. She always said that the best way to deal with attacks, shocks, bad news, etc. was to rock back like a Weeble then slowly regain equilibrium, rather than attempt to 'take it on the chin' and stand firm. a very wise strategy I think. flowers

glammanana Sun 08-Sep-13 22:44:21

I've just read your up-date marelli and agree with everyone who has said your DD may just be coping with her emotions,hopefully once this horrible person has been dealt with by the Court it will bring her closeure and she will find her way back to you.flowers ((hugs)) from me to you.x

Marelli Sun 08-Sep-13 20:36:54

We do, anno. Remember that toy in the 70's? It used to be advertised as, 'Weebles wobble but they don't fall down!' Don't we all see ourselves there sometimes? hmm

annodomini Sun 08-Sep-13 20:31:27

Mothers often get to be the punch bags.

wisewoman Sun 08-Sep-13 20:24:10

You are right, Marelli we do just keep "getting on with it" but sometimes it just wears us down. As my aunt used to say "you can't do right for doing wrong" or something like that. and I think we all feel that way at times. I am sure she doesn't realise how much she is hurting you. Take care.

Nelliemoser Sun 08-Sep-13 20:22:27

Marelli (((hugs)))

Marelli Sun 08-Sep-13 20:15:24

anno, you may be right. She's a very calm person, and someone who believes in Peace and Love and the rights of the individual. However, I don't seem to come into that equation sad.

Marelli Sun 08-Sep-13 20:12:16

Sorry, I meant DD has always been angry with me, not DH! Although he's been angry with me sometimes, I suppose! smile

annodomini Sun 08-Sep-13 20:10:40

She may be one of those unfortunate people for whom anger is a default position. Or it could be a defence against having to feel other emotions.

Ana Sun 08-Sep-13 20:07:38

flowers Marelli...sad

Marelli Sun 08-Sep-13 20:02:29

bags, I'm sorry, our posts more or less crossed. You may be right and I hope you are (and absent, thank you xx).
DH has always been angry with me, and I don't really know why. However, I'll keep on trying.
I do so appreciate you all. flowers.

absent Sun 08-Sep-13 19:32:43

I think bags may have hit the nail on the head with her suggestion that withdrawal from more or less everything and everyone, which can often seem unreasonable or meaningless to others, is a way of coping with horrendous events. I hope that once all this is behind your daughter, she will once again return to the fold. flowers

moomin Sun 08-Sep-13 19:31:11

So sorry Marelli, you are in my thoughts {{{hug}}} x flowers

Marelli Sun 08-Sep-13 19:26:45

glass and Tegan flowers! I'll be ok, no doubt - we just get on with it, don't we! xx

thatbags Sun 08-Sep-13 19:25:15

marelli, your daughter knows you love her and she loves you. This is just her way of coping with something horrific. Some people cope by withdrawing into themselves. Keep hoping and we'll all keep hoping with you that she will cope well and open up to her mum again. Sending love from the west flowers

Tegan Sun 08-Sep-13 19:19:18

Just got home Marelli; sending you a big hug...xx

glassortwo Sun 08-Sep-13 19:15:53

marelli you know I am here if you need me, {{{{hug}}}} xxxxx

Marelli Sun 08-Sep-13 19:06:55

kitty, the estrangement came about just before Witness Support offered their services. I don't know how she's been supported and this has made it doubly hard. Knowing DD, who, as reported in the newspaper, responded to the attacker by yelling at him, she may have decided not to accept much support from them.
Thank you. All of you. I'm trying not to be a wimp, but keep failing rather! flowers

kittylester Sun 08-Sep-13 18:50:15

Marelli good news that your DD didn't have to give evidence - you must both be so relieved. I'm very sad that she has turned away from you again but as Nightowl said, it may be a reaction to everything that has happened. Has she had any support during the wait for the trial?

GN is good at being here for each other, so talk to us if you want to. flowers

wisewoman Sun 08-Sep-13 18:36:46

So sad for you Marelli after being reconciled and the having to go through the pain again. Sometimes life is just shitty! flowers for you. I hope she realises how much you love her and heals the rift she created.

nightowl Sun 08-Sep-13 18:15:50

So very sorry to hear that Marelli, I know how much it meant to you when you were reconciled. I do hope it's temporary, perhaps a reaction to what has happened to her ((((hugs))))

Greatnan Sun 08-Sep-13 18:12:15

Marelli, I know exactly how it feels to have a daughter turn away from you. I hope that someday she will come to understand that you love and value her.
At least she has the comfort of knowing that her attacker has pleaded guilty - I hope he still gets a custodial sentence for such a cowardly act.

Anne58 Sun 08-Sep-13 17:42:35

Thinking of you. flowers