Gransnet forums

AIBU

Diabetic and the DVLA

(5 Posts)
Deedaa Fri 17-May-13 22:28:36

My husband has recently gone onto insulin and now has the three yearly licence. He gave up his HGV licence as there were a lot more restrictions on driving a lorry on insulin. As he had retired he wasn't using the HGV licence anyway. He told the insurance company when he was first diagnosed but I hadn't really thought about telling them about the insulin. He very rarely drives now anyway.

alfcavill Fri 17-May-13 20:24:07

Furhter to my previous message I have been on insulin for 12 years as well.

alfcavill Fri 17-May-13 20:23:02

I am a type 1 diabetic for 12 years and the only thing that has changed is I now have a three yearly licence. You should let your insurance company know but they cannot impose any restrictions, legally, and do not have to know about yearly eyesight tests either.

bluebell Wed 15-May-13 20:58:29

My husband was diagnosed with type1 and he was given all sorts of information from the diabetes nurse including all the dvla/insurance stuff. Someone should have done the same for you when you were first diagnosed and it's a shame they didn't - thank goodness you didn't have an accident. My husband has to renew his licence every 3 years but I don't know if that's because he's type 1 or because he's on insulin. Anyway, now you are in contact with the dvla all that will be dealt with. He's had no problems re insurance - no extra on his premiums because its well controlled.

Eleanorre Wed 15-May-13 20:48:45

I have been a type 2 diabetic for 13 years and recently had to go onto insulin injections. Reading through all the stuff I got from the hospital I now know that I should have told the company who insure my car that I had diabetes when I was first diagnosed . Not a lot of people know that I fear and nobody told me. Having got into the clutches of the DVLA they asked if I went to any other clinics and I had to admit to going to an eye clinic so now have had to have a field test done.