Gransnet forums

AIBU

How many 'X's?

(21 Posts)
Biker Thu 23-May-13 05:53:12

Is anyone else fed up of sizing clothes by letter rather than inches?
Can anyone actually define small, medium, large, extra large or even extra extra large?
These things change by manufacturer and retailer and in the real world are totally meaningless.
How come we have been dumbed down like this?

JessM Thu 23-May-13 06:53:35

Yes it is a real pain. My DH is a big chap. Chest sizes would be much more helpful.
It would be also helpful if the cut was adjusted - he does not have huge shoulders but XL T shirts nearly always too tight in the armpit/shoulder.

ninathenana Thu 23-May-13 08:40:02

Why do they think +size women have arms like an ape. I always have to shorten sleeves.

Sel Thu 23-May-13 11:31:38

When I saw the thread heading I thought it was referring to the tricky problem of 'how many, if any, Xs do I put at the end of this text/email? grin

I think the X sizing system in clothes originates in the US. I haven't seen it used by British clothing companies but I may be wrong. I find sizes vary so much across brands that they are somewhat meaningless so maybe I just fluctuate an awful lot smile

ninathenana Thu 23-May-13 12:05:37

grin my first thought was 'X' lovers.

Ana Thu 23-May-13 12:08:57

I thought it was kisses on the bottom too, Sel! grin

goldengirl Thu 23-May-13 17:59:55

On the bottom, Ana ? blush

Ana Thu 23-May-13 18:29:03

On the bottom of the text/email, of course, goldengirl! wink

mollie Fri 24-May-13 07:28:39

Oh dear! I'm another one who thought this was about kisses or exes! Lol!

As another large lady I'm fed up with the vagueries of labelling too. Particuarly websites that advertise they sell x-sizes only to discover that the actual measurements are equivalent to a 16-18! My personal gripe is about bra sellers who assume all large ladies have huge bossoms - I'm a 42 but a C cup, nothing FF about me I regret to say!

janeainsworth Fri 24-May-13 08:07:28

I thought it was kisses too grin
Uniqlo is great in this respect. Although things are sized SML etc, if you click on the sizing guide, they give the exact measurements of the individual garments in great detail, eg back length from neck, top of shoulder to end of sleeve etc.

Biker Mon 27-May-13 15:17:52

Well I don't get too many 'X's on my mail these days but I do see them on clothing - also in trousers these days where the words 'short, standard, long' seem to be the order of the day. Who is to say what I am?
31" inside leg means nothing these days

Movedalot Mon 27-May-13 16:25:34

Doesn't make any difference how they label the clothes as they can be different sizes even by the same manufacturer. I can wear a pair of size 10 trousers at the moment but they are much bigger than that. They are British so it is not American sizing.

How do people buy clothes online?

Galen Mon 27-May-13 16:30:25

I'm afraid I thought chromosomes and Turners syndromeblush

Biker Tue 28-May-13 07:28:34

Ah no Galen I would have put 'Y's into the question in that case smile
And 'Movedalot' I agree - buying on-line is impossible.

inthefields Tue 28-May-13 07:31:33

Nina - laughed out loud at this! .... can I have your offcuts please, to sew onto the ends of sleeves that are always too short for me!

<retires into corner to resume scratching under armpits & eating bananas> grin

PRINTMISS Tue 28-May-13 08:29:12

I have trouble finding 31" inside leg, AND trousers that fit round the waist. They all seem to 'sit on the hips' which I hate. I have been looking for cotton summer trousers for about two months now, and perhaps I am getting really fussy, not having a lot of spare cash, but I am fed up with not finding what I want, and the blank stares when I ask for 31" inside leg when shopping. Cotton Traders are good, and I shall probably go back to them, but really wanted something a bit more summery.

Galen Tue 28-May-13 08:40:41

BIKER y? Female turners have abscence or incomplete developement of one of the X chromosomes.

janeainsworth Tue 28-May-13 08:41:08

I buy at least half my clothes online. Advantages are that you can try them on at home with all the things you might wear them with, including the right shoes, rather than just the things you might happen to have on in the shop at the time.
I do sometimes send things back if they don't fit or aren't as I imagined them, but the cost of the postage is nothing compared to the cost of driving into town and parking.
Now I'm retired I do sometimes enjoy a leisurely (free) bus-ride into town and a wander round the shops, but when I was working I just didn't have time to do that and online shopping was a godsend.

jeanie99 Tue 28-May-13 09:44:04

When I first read the subject I thought this was a question regarding X wives/husbands.

I usually try on medium they tend to fit, X sizes such as for T shirts tend to be baggy so it doesn't matter if it doesn't fit perfectly as it's usually not a fitted garment.

If I was buying a pr of trousers or blouse it would come in the conventional sizes.

j08 Tue 28-May-13 09:46:43

I thought it was asking how many kisses it is acceptable to put after your name on private messages.

Matthew1 Wed 29-May-13 16:57:02

Can I share your sleeves with inthefields. My Mother always told me that my arms must drag on the floor as when she knit our cardigans she needed extra wool for the sleeves. Always struggle with coats, jaclets and cardigans. (I also thought this was about xx on the end of an e-mail)