Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to expect a Hermes delivery person NOT to put a parcel in the recycling bi

(14 Posts)
Nelliemoser Tue 11-Jun-13 09:18:36

It happens with a a lot of the companies. Some years ago DD ordered a laptop to our address. The first I knew about it having arrived was when the next door neighbour brought it round. No card through our letter box.

Its a good job we live in respectable neighbourhood. wink

A lot of these delivery people don't seem to have any common sense. You wonder how well their delivery rounds are funded and if they are such tight schedules and taking time do do thing properly eats into their wages. Does the company not suggest that leaving them in recycling bins is not a good idea!

Ella46 Tue 11-Jun-13 08:37:21

In my road, at least in the eight or nine houses around me, I am usually the only person at home during the day and I often take in parcels for my neighbours.
Most of the delivery men knock on two or three doors, in an attempt to deliver, and they are always so pleased when I offer to help.

Some of the neighbours however, don't bother to come round and get their parcels, and if/when they do, hardly manage to say thanks! hmm

ninathenana Tue 11-Jun-13 08:32:39

Hemes allowed my parcel to be signed for by someone I've never heard of who said they were my neighbour ! This person must have been in the street as I know and trust my neighbours.

Even more annoying it was signed for at 10.32 on Wednesday. I WAS HOME !!!

nanaej Mon 10-Jun-13 22:34:26

I had a parcel dropped over a high gate halfway down our pathway. The gate opens and leads to the front door which has a porch...confused

I have often had parcels left on the porch when I am in (car on the driveway!) by a variety of different delivery companies! Guess it depends on the individual driver!

annodomini Mon 10-Jun-13 21:30:18

When I was away, a courier left my package in the recycling bin which my neighbour always puts out for me when I'm not at home. Luckily she looked in the bin which she doesn't always do and rescued the parcel for me. A message on yellow dymo tape on my letter box now gives clear instructions about where to put parcels.

Wheniwasyourage Mon 10-Jun-13 20:44:41

No, YANBU. I've had Hermes trouble too (think I mentioned it on another thread, but it makes me cross too, and I want to rant again). Once it was on the doorstep of an empty house up the street, quite visible from the road. The computer tracking said that it had been delivered to my porch - it wasn't in a porch at all. The postman kindly brought it down to me!! Why can't they use Royal Mail in the first place?

The second time the parcel (fortunately not breakable) was just dropped over the gate.

Both times I have complained to the senders, who sound as if they have taken it seriously, and to Hermes, who don't.

sunseeker, you're right to want to check who delivers your order, but if you order online they don't tell you. I would much rather have Royal Mail but don't get the choice. angry

shysal Mon 10-Jun-13 18:29:20

My local one rings the doorbell and runs, leaving the parcel on the doormat, sometimes obscuring the cat flap! It is usually evening, so I assume she expects me to be home. I shout 'thank you' after her, but rarely receive any answering wave. I have a box labelled 'parcels please', and a note on the door, but she cannot take the few seconds to use it.

alana2003 Mon 10-Jun-13 18:19:01

I am a Hermes courier I do my utmost to make sure everingthing is done according to procedere. I know my clients well and we have a good understanding of where to leave the parcels.
It is only common sense not to put parcels in bins when the bin men are around. That one must have been stupid. I always try a couple of neighbours if no one is in . It is a pity because a few make it look bad for all of us

mollie Sat 01-Jun-13 14:42:19

Goodness, what an awful thing! I'd be fuming too! Hermes need to be held accountable, why should the photographer (incompetent or not) have to make another set and be out of pocket because some thoughtless delivery person c*cked up?

whenim64 Sat 01-Jun-13 14:01:31

This happens with my daughter's Next deliveries. They always go in the recyclng bin that takes paper, even if the bin is on the kerb on collection day! When she spoke to the driver, he said he checked the bin was empty, so assumed the bin men had been and gone, but why would you leave parcels in a bin on the kerb? He could walk up the driveway and hide it behind another bin, given he has to post a card through the front door!

kittylester Sat 01-Jun-13 13:23:53

Our Hermes lady is lovely, to the extent of offering us her Forest Season tickets if they can't use them. She also puts things BEHIND the bin!

Are you able to come to the Thistle gm, I've pm'ed you?

sunseeker Sat 01-Jun-13 13:23:49

That is terrible! Have you complained to Hermes? I have had a couple of deliveries from them and they do leave parcels in the most unexpected places, the last time I found a parcel in a box where I keep logs! (no card to let me know it was there!)

Now I check which delivery company is used before I buy anything.

gracesmum Sat 01-Jun-13 13:06:31

That is truly awful!! I know this is no consolation whatsoever, but our Hermes lady is a gem and knows to put things in a lidded box I keep tucked round the corner. She also calls me "Mrs Marcos" Can't think why hmm

kittylester Sat 01-Jun-13 12:42:32

I know we've had a thread on this (or a similar thing) before but I am so cross that I had to get it off my chest.

DD2 got married on 10.11.12 and, after problems with the photographer, finally was told to expect all the albums in a couple of days.

On Friday afternoon a Hermes delivery card plopped through the door saying that the parcel had been put in the recycling bin because she was out. As she was in confused, and it was bin day, she went to retrieve the parcel only to discover the bin had already been emptied. In fact, the card was dated two days previously and had only just been pushed through the door - goodness knows where it had been in the meantime. angry

She now faces another wait while the extremely inefficient photographer redoes the albums (which were lovely - if the proofs were anything to go by!!).