Gransnet forums

AIBU

Organising events when nobody turns up.

(98 Posts)
HUNTERF Thu 27-Jun-13 14:25:19

I am a member of a social club and the members get £5 for every event they organise.
I have been a member for 15 months and I have organised 49 events.
The membership fee is £40 a year so I have paid £50 for membership and have claimed £195.
The problem is nobody has ever turned up at an event I have organised.
The club has given me notice that they will only pay me the £5 organisers reward 4 times a year but there is no limit for anybody else or they will refund £ 20 for my membership up to 31 December 2013 and terminate my membership.
Can they put a special rule in for 1 member?. I have broken no rules.
The club can not say the events have not been organised.

Frank

Ariadne Tue 02-Jul-13 09:26:08

janthea grin

HUNTERF Tue 02-Jul-13 08:29:18

glammanana

I was contacted by the club my father went to saying he owed £8.00 2 days after his death.
It was the club which his ex attended and several of its members were in support of her getting the house.
I did know about it and I was going to pay it but I was busy organising the funeral etc.
In theory I could have said they would have to wait until probate was obtained but I just decided to pay to get rid of it.

Another point.

My father owed about £400 on his credit card.
Again I just paid it as I was advised interest would be charged if I had waited for the probate.

Frank

glammanana Mon 01-Jul-13 12:27:04

How unthoughtful of someone to die after arrangements had been made,the last thing on my mind would be to contact a club my nearest and dearest attended to check if they owed the club any money,the mind boggles.

janthea Mon 01-Jul-13 12:06:47

I find the whole construction and phrasing of his posts weird. Nobody writes like that. The posts sound too simplistic. Maybe a computer is being used to create the posts and it's a joke!

If this post is real, then I find it strange that the club continues to pay out for the organisation of events. Frank should stop organising events or do so without taking the money.

ginny Mon 01-Jul-13 11:51:22

I was going to type another reply but words just fail me !!!!

HUNTERF Mon 01-Jul-13 11:44:43

absent / Charleygirl

People in the club are working on a system of people buying their own tickets direct.
Unfortunately we have had some members say they are going but do not turn up on the day and as a result do not pay.
Often these people have found something else to go to which they prefer.
Some of the clubs funds have had to be used to reimburse the organisers which is unfair under these circumstances.
We did have a few people who said they were going and they died or were suddenly taken in to hospital.
We do have a fund to cover situations like this but in most cases the people who were taken in to hospital paid up sometimes 2 or 3 months later.
Oddly families of members who have died have contacted the club to see if any money is owed.

Frank

Charleygirl Mon 01-Jul-13 10:17:51

Whoever is handing out fivers for "organising" events should take another look at why they are doing it. They must have more money than sense. I thought that the work was voluntary and that to me means not receiving any money.

I agree with every word that Absent said.

Frank, what is the attraction- the "organising" or the feel of a crisp fiver in your hand?

glammanana Mon 01-Jul-13 10:08:26

Well that's me told !! I never for one minute suggested there was anything wrong with the events that Frank organises I stated that the other members found them uninteresting for some unknown reason ? grin
Oh and by the way and I know where the Yate's is in Edinborough but I've never been there grin

KatyK Mon 01-Jul-13 09:47:55

Frank. Yes I know Yates in Sutton.

annodomini Mon 01-Jul-13 09:30:09

Gives a whole new meaning to the word 'organise'. The member who organises our U3A theatre trip takes names and money, buys the tickets and arranges the minibus or coach, depending on numbers. She doesn't get paid. That's how it ought to be done, Frank.

mollie Mon 01-Jul-13 09:24:37

Frank, you should consider politics. I think you'd be perfect...seriously!

vegasmags Mon 01-Jul-13 09:16:11

Two wrongs don't make a right, Frank.

HUNTERF Mon 01-Jul-13 08:28:11

absent

The wording is the £5 is payable as a reward for organising an event.
Somebody organised a trip to the Black Country Museum last year and got the £5.

Every body drove over to the museum and purchased their own tickets.

No more work was done by them than by me organising the 5am run or the theatre trip.

Frank

Frank

absent Mon 01-Jul-13 08:08:55

So far as I can see, there was no organising for the theatre trip. Maybe I am wrong but not actually organising anything at all and then claiming money for organising a trip is tantamount to fraud in my book - even if the sum involved is very small. Do it lots if times and the pennies will take care of themselves. I think this is all very distasteful if not exactly surprising. I would be deeply ashamed of myself if I had behaved in this way.

HUNTERF Mon 01-Jul-13 08:01:14

glammanana

There is nothing wrong with the events I organise.
In a few cases somebody else has organised the same event a few weeks later and several people have turned up.
May be people see my name and just do not bother to come.
Really people should look at the event itself rather than who is organising it.

Frank

Galen Sun 30-Jun-13 21:40:56

confused

HUNTERF Sun 30-Jun-13 20:51:05

By the way I am not a proper Suttonian.
Some people have told me you have to be born in Sutton Coldfield and live there for 50 years and be a member of a golf club.

Frank

HUNTERF Sun 30-Jun-13 20:48:09

KatyK

The Yates I sometimes go to is next door to where Barclays Bank was until a few months ago.
There was a pub opposite called The Cup.
It is now being converted in to some sort of restaurant.
Barclays is now in the Gracechurch Centre almost opposite Costa coffee shop and Carphone Warehouse is next door or next door but one.

Frank

HUNTERF Sun 30-Jun-13 20:37:09

I am well known in Sutton Coldfield.
When I go into the town centre I usually park my car by the small Tesco near the cinema where the parking is free for 2 hours.
If there are no spaces there I will either park in a 3 hour space which is in the road which leads to the rail station or by some flats where the parking is free.
I then walk towards the Gracechurch centre or Wilkinsons where Sainsburys was at one time and I can almost guarantee at least 2 women will say Hello Frank.

Frank

Nonu Sun 30-Jun-13 19:54:27

Mollie.

???!? What do we know ?

It gets more surreal by the minute

mollie Sun 30-Jun-13 19:44:45

And Gerry?

Nonu Sun 30-Jun-13 19:09:53

In your dreams !!!!

Butty Sun 30-Jun-13 18:53:25

Dream on!

Ariadne Sun 30-Jun-13 18:43:00