Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to think that a grown man...

(20 Posts)
JessM Sun 30-Jun-13 18:20:17

AIBU to think that a grown man, with fair, Irish skin, one who has had a melanoma, could take responsibility for being a bit careful in the sun? And would not need his wife to always remind him. Just told him it is neither funny nor clever getting pink front. So tedious when they behave like kids! angry

kittylester Sun 30-Jun-13 18:27:08

You are being unreasonable jess he's a male!! grin

Butty Sun 30-Jun-13 18:31:01

Jess Send him to my dermatologist - she'd tear a real strip off him - using some very ripe French language. She's tiny and fearsome!

annodomini Sun 30-Jun-13 18:42:21

My DS1 has posted a picture of his sunburnt back on FB. He knows very well that I've had a melanoma and it's not clever or funny to be so careless. My dermatologist would have a few choice words about it too, Butty - she's small and Chinese American with a Welsh surname.

ginny Sun 30-Jun-13 18:53:06

Not unreasonable at all. My DH has Balsal Cell carcenoma and is quite good about staying in the shade. Apart from when he plays golf and forgets to use sun cream on his face. He does get a good ear bashing.

HildaW Sun 30-Jun-13 19:08:21

Its daft to expose yourself nowadays. My OH is very Celtic - red hair (but brown now) freckles and very pale skin but has learned to keep covered up. Many 'outdoor' type clothing manufactures do fabrics that are very light weight yet good at keeping the harmful rays at bay. Saying that however, even if he was less prone to burning he is just not the sort to go around underdressed, its just not him. He is far happier in very lightweight long sleeved shirt and he's not worn shorts since he was a boy. To be honest - I'm not a fan of semi naked men in public, (in private tis quite a different matter)

baubles Sun 30-Jun-13 19:22:51

Another one here who's OH has fairly recently had a basal cell carcinoma removed from his face and who still needs reminding about sunscreen grrrr.

baubles Sun 30-Jun-13 19:23:47

So no, YANBU grin

Nanban Sun 30-Jun-13 19:28:13

How many times and in how many ways do people need reminding that smoking kills, overweight kills, drugs kill, alcohol kills, - people must make their own choices. Having made that choice, ease up, and let them live their lives.

nanaej Sun 30-Jun-13 19:39:18

My OH sounds similar in coouring to Mr HildaW does not understand that it does not matter if you don't like to put suncream on because it make you feel a bit sticky! The DGC are better than him and slapping it on in the sun!

j08 Sun 30-Jun-13 19:52:24

Why does this thread title make me think of the Stones.

"You make a grown man cry.........."

#needtothinkofsomethingelse

j08 Sun 30-Jun-13 19:53:32

Sorry jess! blush

HildaW Sun 30-Jun-13 20:31:53

Nanaej, there are some very good spray-on clear products nowadays...sun screen it pretty high tech, so no excuse really.

I think there are those of a mindset who convince themselves that there are no solutions, you know the sort, Oh I can't do such and such because (fit excuse of choice). But when one offers a perfectly good solution they come up with some other reason it cannot be done. A sort of permanent 'Drama Queen' syndrome.

Deedaa Sun 30-Jun-13 21:17:07

My OH had the nerve to comment on my lobster pink arms when I came home today after spending the day smothered in sunblock. This is the man who used to come back from a day on his boat burnt to a crisp, with the bottle of factor 50 that I sent him out with untouched! And our son's just as bad angry

grannyactivist Sun 30-Jun-13 21:58:49

Having been under the supervision of a dermatologist since I was 16 I've never sunbathed. My red haired, freckled (he looks better than he sounds, honest! grin ) husband was encouraged to burn himself to a crisp as a boy and has spend the rest of his life covering up so that he doesn't end up suffering the same skin problems as his father and grandfather.

JessM Sun 30-Jun-13 22:06:54

Well I was thinking about something else jo8 - the garden-dominion campaign of some Welsh poppies. Sigh.

kittylester Mon 01-Jul-13 07:07:26

A few dotted about look lovely don't they, Jess, but they just don't know when to stop!

Bags Mon 01-Jul-13 07:47:25

They'd be welcome in my garden. There is one growing out of an old wall but it doesn't spread its seed effectively. At least, the seeds don't seem to 'take' very well. And yet they do elsewhere around here, especially in the verges. They look great.

Even teazles struggles here.

Other thistles do well though hmm

Bags Mon 01-Jul-13 07:48:02

struggle without the s

Saw that as I pressed 'post'

Bags Mon 01-Jul-13 07:52:24

ga, covering up is the way to go, I think. I never needed sun block in thailand because I stayed out of the sun as much as poss. Still got a gradual suntan. Never pink though.

A hat with a brim and a collared shirt protect you from the worst even if you're out all day.

Getting sun-burnt is a mug's game.