Gransnet forums

AIBU

Children's comics

(20 Posts)
JessM Wed 03-Jul-13 15:50:09

AIBU to object to the fact that every comic comes with a packet of toys and sometimes sweets as well? I have to surgically remove them for ease of posting to Australia.
And to object to the fact that they are sealed inside plastic bags themselves, so you can't check what's inside?
Also there are a lot of truly horrible pink comics for girls that I would not touch with 10ft pole.

Recently bought Octonauts for the 5 year old and National Geographic Animals for the 8 yr old. I used to buy the Jacqueline Wilson comic for GD sometimes, but even that sometimes got a bit pre-teeny for the 7-10 age group.
Any recommendations from other grandparents?

wisewoman Wed 03-Jul-13 17:19:37

I would say don't buy comics, buy books (not much more expensive!) I so agree about the girls' comics with fairies and lipstick in the same comic. When I ask my grandchildren to choose a comic, the six year old grandaughter says "I don't really want a comic - they are so silly" . Octonauts is quite good with lots to do but I also hate trying to part the rubbish plastic toys from the comic without damaging it. I have given up on comics and buy a supply of crafty things - googly eyes, pipecleaners etc instead. Also you can buy nice books in Bargain Books which are cheaper than comics!! How often do we look at the price?? When I do, I am shocked.

Bez Wed 03-Jul-13 17:31:12

I have two DGS who are great Dr Who fans and I had a subscription for the magazine for them. I understand that any 'gifts' that came with the magazines were always good and at times useful.
They are now12 and 8 years old and live in USA so when they came for their first UK Christmas last year one of their gifts were tickets to the new BBC Dr Who experience which the parents also enjoyed, and another tickets to a pantomime - which they had never seen before -no excess baggage for either of those!

j08 Wed 03-Jul-13 17:46:05

Mine get Beano, National Geographic for Kids, and the Horrible Histories one.

They help the reading along no end.

j08 Wed 03-Jul-13 17:48:56

There are also the quarterly mags they get through Storm Force (lifeboats) and YOC (junior rspb)

Butty Wed 03-Jul-13 17:50:04

What a great mix, J. How old were your grandchildren when they first started with the N.G. for kids?

j08 Wed 03-Jul-13 17:52:40

That is the younger one, now going on 8. (though they both read it of course) Think about a year now.

Butty Wed 03-Jul-13 17:55:29

Thanks J Wish there was a thanks emoticon. Shall I start another petition?? hmm - now there's a thought.

j08 Wed 03-Jul-13 17:56:03

grin

MrsJamJam Wed 03-Jul-13 18:16:16

We (GCs and I) were very sorry when Puffin Post folded following the sale of Penguin to some big conglomerate. I do National Geographic Kids for an 8 year old and there is also a good one called Aquila for 8 to 12. The latter is subscription only, not in newsagents which is a bit of a shame.

j08 Wed 03-Jul-13 18:37:03

I offered Aquila to my older one. Naughty boy said no thank you. hmm

Is it a bit hard going?

MrsJamJam Wed 03-Jul-13 19:08:05

You probably need to be a fairly keen reader to enjoy it. In my experience some boys prefer to keep away from too much reading - put off by the pressure at school these days.

j08 Wed 03-Jul-13 19:31:29

I might offer it again. I thought it looked good. But he is starting secondary school in September. Lots of pressure. hmm

Deedaa Wed 03-Jul-13 22:23:29

My GS liked some of the CBeebies comics when he was coming up to school age. I tended to buy him ones that had craft stuff rather than plastic toys as gifts. Now he's nearly seven he's not that interested in them, but does like looking through his dad's National Geographic.

It would have been nice to have a granddaughter but not if I had to buy those dreadful pink comics! grin

JessM Fri 05-Jul-13 21:28:02

Not going to buy any more. Cost £7 to post 2 comics to Australia. AIBU to think that is a rip off? And sometimes, so called "airmail" takes over 2 weeks to get there. How on earth do they manage that?

j08 Fri 05-Jul-13 21:54:36

It's a shame Jess. sad

annodomini Fri 05-Jul-13 22:02:03

A relay of pigeons, Jess?

nanaej Fri 05-Jul-13 22:45:42

www.thebookseller.com/news/phoenix-comic-launch-Waitrose.html

j08 Sat 06-Jul-13 09:35:14

Is there aything out there you could buy them a subscription to jess? I know you lose the personal touch, but you could chat to them about it by emails/skype.

JessM Sat 06-Jul-13 09:53:35

Need to be something like ospreys or bar tailed godwits to go all that way anno