Gransnet forums

AIBU

Supermarkets and how they treat you

(17 Posts)
whenim64 Fri 12-Jul-13 19:03:07

It might help, too, if you itemise anything that escaped damage (if anything did) and deduct the cost to show you are being reasonable, but firm. You might have already done that, so apologies if you have.

Charleygirl Fri 12-Jul-13 18:55:33

Bessie- If you are going to bypass the store with your complaint and take it to the Chief Executive or whoever, may I suggest that you try and google a name as that has more clout. If it is addressed to a specific person, you are less likely to be given the runaround.

FlicketyB Fri 12-Jul-13 15:40:30

I suspect it depends more on the local store management than ASDA (or any other supermarket)'s policy.

Never the less. This is a vey poor response given that weed killer is POISONOUS.

Backagain Fri 12-Jul-13 14:37:43

Oddly enough (now, where did I get that phrase from?) I was doing my packing in my local ASDA a couple of weeks ago when I realised that a bottle of washing up liquid had leaked. Slime and smell all over the place. The lady on the till immediately rang for a colleague and every single item, even plastic packs of frozen stuff, was taken back and changed. All with a smile (except from the customer next in the queue , understandably enough!). And when I got home I checked against the till receipt and everything I had paid for was there. Couldn't fault the service.
Just mentioning it in the interest of fairness smile

Lilygran Fri 12-Jul-13 14:20:30

So shortsighted of them! Hope you get the compensation, Bessie

Bessie1978 Fri 12-Jul-13 14:12:55

Wow, first time on gransnet, thanks for all the positive comments. Thought about Facebook but ASDA don't have a wall to write on, my daughter says they must have too many complaints to deal with, all I got from going on their facebook page was to open myself up to an avalanche of ASDA adverts! Twitter is a good idea will give it a try. If only these big businesses realised that they should listen their customers complaints in an uncondecending manner they would have better relations with them. Thanks all.

Nonu Fri 12-Jul-13 13:45:26

They have got their nerve , Bessie, keep plugging away at them .

annodomini Fri 12-Jul-13 13:36:44

Now I know how to get those child-proof caps off - load all my shopping on top of them. grin

Elegran Fri 12-Jul-13 13:28:13

Or putting it on any facebook page, preferably with it duplicated to Twitter as well. I have added something about it on the GnLocal Edinburgh facebook page, Bessie1978 and the first couple of lines of a post automatically get tweeted.

As I have also tagged Asda's name they will get a notification that they have been mentioned, so they may just possibly take a look to see what is said. but if you can, write a post on their FB page too. Name and shame.

Anne58 Fri 12-Jul-13 13:06:23

Putting a comment on their face book page works too!

glammanana Fri 12-Jul-13 12:52:41

bessie how on earth can they say the weight of your shopping made the cap loose ? are these caps not supposed to have the safety type scew top which is supposed to be child proof,I would certainly insist on replacement or refund for the total amount,get tweeting and ring them again and tell them what your GN friends have to say about it.

j08 Fri 12-Jul-13 12:35:27

Bessie I recommend Waitrose if you have one near you - delivery is free - or Ocado if not. They do price match.

j08 Fri 12-Jul-13 12:32:05

Oh yes a nno I know of one particular tweeter who is very good at that! Definitely worth a try.

janeainsworth Fri 12-Jul-13 12:30:28

Bessie They are bound by the Sale of Goods Act which states that goods sold must be fit for purpose.
Weedkiller with the nozzle loose sounds not only unfit for purpose, but a health and safety hazard too.
As Anno says, tweeting is often effective, or another strategy is to bypass customer complaints and write directly to the Chief Executive.
And yes it's perfectly ok to name and shame on GN grin

whenim64 Fri 12-Jul-13 12:28:01

Don't give up, Bessie go higher up and louder - you'll get that refund and they should offer compensation in vouchers, too. Good luck!

annodomini Fri 12-Jul-13 12:19:39

Bessie, I understand that tweeting about such poor customer relations sometimes embarrasses the company concerned so much that they pay up. grin

Bessie1978 Fri 12-Jul-13 11:51:29

I don't know if I can be specific about the supermarket I have an issue with but basically they are fobbing my complaint off and saying that as I had bought a branded product they 'sell it in good faith' and can do nothing about my concerns regarding the weedkiller I bought and the nozzle unscrewed emptying the contents all over my shopping and kitchen table and floor, they are refunding £15 of the over £80 of goods I had bought and had to dispose of, saying the weight of shopping made the top loose, although they had packed it at the checkout and not put it in a separate bag, their attitude really isn't good enough, very poor customer relations and PR. Shan't be shopping at ASDA any more.