Gransnet forums

AIBU

?Bikinis in the supermarket

(64 Posts)
dorsetpennt Thu 18-Jul-13 09:33:27

I work as an Internet shopper for one of our better supermarkets. I live in a coastal town with 'seven miles of golden sand', so with this hot weather the town is very busy. Our branch isn't on a coastline or opposite the beach, in fact we are in one of the suburbs. However, people, mainly holidaymakers, think it is quite suitable to shop in their bikinis, or men with their t-shirts off [not always a pleasant sight], even bare feet.
Yesterday a group of people came into the shop dressed like this, 2 girls in bare feet [ugh, our streets are clean but not sterile]. Our store manager approached them and asked in an extremely polite and reasonable manner to please cover up - we are food shop after all and other customers do not like it. Oh the fuss and the language - they stomped out shouting about how unreasonable we were etc, etc.
Was our manager being unreasonable? Do you wish to shop [or like me sit next to on a bus home] with nearly naked people - those bikinis were small!!

Deedaa Fri 19-Jul-13 20:22:15

I have to admit Bags that if he had been young and gorgeous I would probably not have minded at all blush Although it would still help if his jokes were funny!

granjura Fri 19-Jul-13 12:45:00

I'd say that the 'inappropriate' or 'disrespectful' wording and concept would change according to location. If in a seaside resort, I'd say 'inappropriate' and in traditional/rural area, where the locals dress very conservatively, I'd say 'disrespectful'. Context is so often the key.

simtib Fri 19-Jul-13 11:23:28

Now that would be giving away my secrets.

Ella46 Fri 19-Jul-13 11:16:58

simtib!! And....................what did you decide? smile

simtib Fri 19-Jul-13 10:49:26

I was once in Austria staying at a hotel leisure complex with a swimming pool and also saunas, steam rooms and jacuzzis. I went to go in there wearing my swimming costume and realised that no one was wearing them. you could wear a costume if you wanted, but no one did. So I was left with the decision wear a costume and have 100 people stare at me or not wear one and every one would ignore me. Exactly the opposite to normal life.

annodomini Fri 19-Jul-13 10:48:46

Just tried to envisage myself striding down the road to Waitrose (with wheelie bag, of course) clad only in swimsuit (not a bikini) and crocs. No.... I couldn't see it, even in my imagination.

Riverwalk Fri 19-Jul-13 10:43:29

This morning the BBC's weather presenter was showing her bellybutton - both the BBC and the Met Office are government departments .... doesn't seem quite right somehow but it does seem to be the norm that much female flesh is on display even in professional settings.

I must be getting old!

sunseeker Fri 19-Jul-13 10:05:46

When on holiday, if I want to get a drink or ice cream or whatever from a shop close to the beach, I always put on shorts and a top over my swimsuit. I certainly would not go to the supermarket in a swimsuit.

I think wearing something loose and light is cooler than exposing lots of flesh

vegasmags Fri 19-Jul-13 09:42:49

Just a little bit off topic here, but in India you see for sale at markets and little shops long cotton drawstring skirts which look lovely and cool and comfortable. Unwary foreigners often buy these to wear on their hols, no doubt thinking they are also respecting local customs. What they don't know is that these are actually petticoats worn under the sari and a source of amusement to the locals who see them striding around in underwear.

Bags Fri 19-Jul-13 09:29:13

ella, maybe they're always dashing out to cocktail parties after their TV presentations!

Bags Fri 19-Jul-13 09:28:26

I'd feel self-conscious in a bathing costume of any kind in a supermarket. I suppose with 'plentiful' shorts (think they used to be called walking shorts) on your bottom half, a proper swimsuit as your top would be OK in very hot weather and at beach resorts.

I usually find supermarkets too cold and often take in a jumper even if I don't need one outside.

Ella46 Fri 19-Jul-13 09:26:04

I agree Bags about tv presenters and weather girls, who wear things more suitable to a cocktail party sometimes.

Bags Fri 19-Jul-13 09:25:48

Quite! grin shock

Ella46 Fri 19-Jul-13 09:24:37

I personally would feel vulnerable if I wore a bikini in a supermarket.
It wouldn't take much for some idiot/pervert to yank the top off, and there are enough idiots around these days.

Bags Fri 19-Jul-13 09:19:47

Do people who think bikinis in supermarkets disrespectful think shorts and strappy vests are disrespectful too? Or is that acceptable/appropriate summer supernmarket or street wear?

Bags Fri 19-Jul-13 09:18:20

shorts

Bags Fri 19-Jul-13 09:17:52

There does seem to be a tendency in the West for women to show an awful lot of skin nowadays.

Mind you, traditional Indian saris expose midriff (sensible in that climate). They are more discreet about chests and upper arms though, not to mention legs, and infinitely more elegant than short and strappy vest. Less practical sometimes perhaps.

dorsetpennt Fri 19-Jul-13 09:12:49

I think wearing your beachwear to go shopping is totally different to people in their traditional dress - unless of course bikinis et all are now traditional dress.

Bags Fri 19-Jul-13 09:11:01

I'm finding the word 'disrespectful' doesn't quite sit with me in this context. I think I would say that wearing a bikini for going shopping is just not appropriate. Sorry for the wordsmithery but I don't feel disrespected if people wear inappropriate clothes; I just feel surprise that they can dress inappropriately.

I think some of the clothes one sees TV presenters wearing are a bit inappropriate – women often look far too dressed up for my taste, while the men tend to be... let's just say less excessive. I don't think it helps reduce the objectifying of women when they dress up to look glamorous when simply smart would do.

So yes, I think there's a scale of inappropriateness in dressing from excessive under-dressing (e.g. bikinis in supermarkets) to excessive over-dressing in the visual media.

gillybob Fri 19-Jul-13 07:56:27

Good point Bags would we be more likely to accept a young, good looking,fit man wearing a vest leaning over the counter than the old, hairy, sweaty one? Also is a young woman with a good figure more acceptable than a older overweight woman with rolls of fat hanging over the bikini?

Personally I wouldn't go shopping in a bikini( even if I did have a fab figure) any more than I would go visit someone in hospital, attend a dentist appointment or whatever. It just seems disrespectful.

granjura Thu 18-Jul-13 21:03:36

I actually don't mind nakedness as such. What I am saying is that one should respect those who do somehow. Because it's the polite and civiised thing to do.

Bags Thu 18-Jul-13 20:46:59

If he had had an attractive young not sweaty body, would you all have minded, deedaa?

Bags Thu 18-Jul-13 20:45:48

I still wonder why we mind near nakedness so much though.

Bags Thu 18-Jul-13 20:44:13

That's true, vegas. I hadn't really considered the angry responses.

Deedaa Thu 18-Jul-13 20:22:18

When I worked in M&S we had a regular customer who used to come in in his vest. He was middle aged, rather overweight and covered with lots of white hair. In spite of the way we all used to disappear when he arrived he was under the impression that he was one of our favourites and used to lean his sweaty self over the counter while he told long and unfunny jokes.