Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think playpens are a short term safety device and not a prison?

(35 Posts)
Atqui Fri 30-Aug-13 09:57:28

My dd is finding life hard with a 13 month old ,into everything baby, but won't have a playpen. To be fair it's not because she thinks its un pc but says it wouldn't work. Having spent time looking after DGD and of course our own children, I think they are a godsend. if only to be able to go to the loo without having to move everything and have the loo roll decimated.

felice Mon 02-Sep-13 15:51:28

We also use reins for DGS, the Belgians were horrified, 'why is the baby on a leash' then his Godfather spent the morning chasing him around a flea market and was seen rummaging in the baby bag for them and now, never takes him anywhere without them, DGS knows as soon as he sees them that he is going somewhere 'exciting', French SIL also loves them. I like them for walking him up and down stairs as I know if he takes off too fast I can catch him. Only place we could buy them in Belguim was Mothercare.

Gally Mon 02-Sep-13 07:35:39

I have a 5 sided, heavy, modern cast iron one which is mainly used as a fireguard or room divider when the gc's are here.. Also good for keeping the (now deceased) dog in the kitchen without having to shut her in completely. I had a 'lobster pot' for DD1 and inherited an old wooden one for the other 2 but it wasn't used very much. I had a friend who used her playpen herself to do the ironing safely away from the children grin

Aka Mon 02-Sep-13 07:18:15

Exactly my point!

Elegran Sun 01-Sep-13 23:22:21

If playpens were marketed complete with a box of plastic balls, they would be snapped up as mini ball-pits.

Aka Sun 01-Sep-13 23:15:12

I turned ours into a ball pit and the GC loved to spend time in it.

nightowl Sun 01-Sep-13 23:03:04

I'm not sure that having or not having a playpen is any different now than when my children were young. I never had one nor did anyone I knew. I don't recall having any strong feelings against them, or hearing any expressed, but I just never felt the need for one. DD doesn't use one either, but a young friend of mine uses one for her 18 month old. Funnily enough, when I visit her with DGS aged almost 3, he always makes a beeline for it and will happily spend hours in there on his own grin

Nelliemoser Sun 01-Sep-13 22:38:59

Perhaps the modern dislike of these goes along with the lack of harnesses. These and playpens seem now to be considered as undignified restraints instead of a sensible and convenient safety measure.

Somewhere safe to put the baby when cooking or answering the door.
I used one in the garden to keep the kids on the blanket on the lawn and stop them eating the mud or the flowers.

In many ways they allow babies more freedom by giving them a safe place to play.

j08 Sun 01-Sep-13 22:15:06

I think when they get to that stage hummingbird, it's time to let them out!

hummingbird Sun 01-Sep-13 22:06:24

I couldn't bear to use a playpen after watching a friend's little one pile up all her toys in the corner to try to climb out. Neither of my children have used them either. Might be different for twins, though! grin

Deedaa Sun 01-Sep-13 21:18:38

I found a playpen an absolute godsend when my two were babies. My daughter never used one at all so my grandson always expected to be able to crawl and then climb all over our house when I was looking after him. I'm sure he enjoyed it but it was very wearing from my point of view!

Granny23 Fri 30-Aug-13 23:51:19

Like Susieb* I used a travel cot as a playpen for DGC when they were small. Kept all the best toys in there and they WANTED to be in it. Unfortunately DGC do not come neatly spaced agewise. With two of mine only 6mths apart, I needed somewhere safe for one while I fed/changed the other.

Flowerofthewest Fri 30-Aug-13 23:33:03

We always used one, I have even put a puppy inside playpen to avoid toddlers grabbing him.

Atqui Fri 30-Aug-13 22:51:49

Thanks for your views everyone.

Penstemmon Fri 30-Aug-13 22:44:34

My DD had a wooden playpen..once she could 'cruise' she pulled herself up and walked about taking the play pen with her. For my next child I borrowed a playpen with a floor in it! Also used reins and mattress harness!

Elegran Fri 30-Aug-13 22:06:16

That is what I thought J08 If it is already a place where they are happy to sit, doze, play, then when they get more active they will pull themselves up on the sides and walk round it and return to their toys. If they are already walking arouind when they are introduced to it, it will seem like a barrier.

And not too long at a time. A change of scenery is a good thing.

We had a very low window when our first two were playpen age, with the pen near it. They could see out to whatever was going on in the street.

j08 Fri 30-Aug-13 21:57:34

To be fair, I don't think you could suddenly put a 13 month old in one when he/she has been used to her freedom. You need to start at several months old, before they start crawling. Playpens can be good if they are loaded up with interesting and safe odds and sods, as well as toys. But not for too long at a time.

Lona Fri 30-Aug-13 21:42:05

merlotgran Only 11 months between my two as well, and trying to feed ds while dd was clutching at my knee and screaming blue murder, was heartrending.
Thank goodness for a playpen!

Caramac Fri 30-Aug-13 21:37:16

I bought a metal babydan playpen, secondhand, for DGC. Its a safe place to leave a little one whilst essential chores or loo visits are dealt with. I have always had dogs and whilst my dogs are extremely tolerant of little peeps, a metal playpen protects all concerned. One child and no pets present challenges, multiple DGC and pets present even more. Also useful if I haven't vacuumed!

merlotgran Fri 30-Aug-13 21:06:53

My first two children are only 11 months apart. I was lent a huge wooden playpen by a friend's mother and I couldn't have done without it. DD1 was just pulling herself up and plonking herself down again and trying to watch her and feed DS at the same time would have been very difficult.

whenim64 Fri 30-Aug-13 20:50:11

Both my daughters have used playpens. As nonu said, invaluable with twins. The one for my grandaughters was padded and one of them would grab her blankie and a cushion and fall asleep in there, with the gate open.

susieb755 Fri 30-Aug-13 20:42:35

I think parents today are mad, I thought that 'play prisons' as i called them were great - rather a crying baby than a dead one I say- at least you knew they were safe when you needed the loo, grabbed the washing off the line in rain, cooked dinner etc

I used the travel cot as a play prison for my DGD - worked a treat smile

I crate my puppies, playpen my babies, and reward good behaviour with both !

Nonu Fri 30-Aug-13 20:27:21

I am at a loss to understand why the parents of today seem to think they are not a good idea . Heyho !!

Eloethan Fri 30-Aug-13 20:02:51

I think they're very useful too.

I did mention once getting a playpene to my son and his partner and received a very withering look. But if a hard-pressed parent has to do a potentially dangerous chore - like ironing or cooking - they can get on and do it and still interact with the child.

Elegran Fri 30-Aug-13 11:22:20

I can imagine it comes as a shock to them if they are put into one after they have been ranging free. I used to put them into it from the time they could sit up on their own, or even when they were sitting in their little bouncy seat. They would be near me with plenty of toys within reach and could see what I was doing and hear me speak to them. Much safer than having them crawling round your feet while you clean or cook.

Perhaps it is because children are usually more spaced out in age nowadays. My first two were eighteen months apart, and it would have been impossible to keep an eye on both of them while doing all the household things.

I think also that some young mothers have this image of a child stuck alone in a cage for hours on end with no contact with mother. The opposite is true - it is only for short spells at a time and if you can get on with the chores without interruption, you finish them faster and can then cuddle your child and play with them without worrying about everything else staying in chaos.

FlicketyB Fri 30-Aug-13 11:04:24

Both my DC hated them. DS just stood and cried until he was released. I used to put him in it while I cut the grass, it was 20 minutes of misery all round. DD just climbed out.

However it was really useful at Christmas. I stood the Christmas tree in it so that the children could not pull it over themselves or remove the decorations.