Gransnet forums

AIBU

I was really sad

(24 Posts)
Hunt Mon 09-Sep-13 15:29:36

I was really sad that no one answered my request for information about the Idle Women, especially as it came from one of your friends. Even a 'sorry I can't help' or 'that sounds interesting' would have been encouraging in a way. Looking at the media requests, 2 out of 5 get no response at all and of the rest the replies are often disparaging. What is the point of this scheme? Is it to raise money? I suppose £1,500 is not to be sneezed at. Ah well! Move on!

Anne58 Mon 09-Sep-13 15:46:29

Sorry Hunt I must have missed that post. What "Idle Women" ?

Marelli Mon 09-Sep-13 15:47:55

I missed it as well, Hunt. confused

annodomini Mon 09-Sep-13 16:20:19

Sorry, Hunt. If I had any information, you would be welcome to it but I have never heard about these Idle Women, tho' I'm sure I would qualify grin

Charleygirl Mon 09-Sep-13 16:36:43

I also join the queue, never heard of them but like annodomini I would also qualify having had so many years of experience.

harrigran Mon 09-Sep-13 16:45:25

Never heard of them either. had to check to see what they were, before my time and boats are not my thing. Sorry Hunt

ninathenana Mon 09-Sep-13 16:54:11

hmm confused

Galen Mon 09-Sep-13 17:17:05

Same here!

soop Mon 09-Sep-13 17:20:11

Ditto confused

Ariadne Mon 09-Sep-13 17:28:37

And me. Sorry!

JessM Mon 09-Sep-13 17:35:00

Many members have no memories of the war Hunt - You'd have to be 80+ to remember it at all. And threads get missed all the time I'm afraid. If you want yours to get some more attention you can go back to it, post the word "bump" and it will reappear in the current topics.

marynanny Mon 09-Sep-13 18:30:35

hi everyone,i have read some of your sad stories,of missing your grandchildren,i did not realise there was so many sad and heartbroken grandparents like me out there.love marynanny xx.

j08 Mon 09-Sep-13 18:33:15

What is the £1,500 all about?! Is that how much HQ charge for a media request?! shock

I had never heard of the "idle women". No canals near where I lived.

Guess it's a chance you take?

JessM Mon 09-Sep-13 18:46:27

no it is £30

baubles Mon 09-Sep-13 18:54:04

Sorry Hunt I missed it too. What was the name of the thread? I searched for Idle Women but didn't get far grin

Hello Marynanny I'm sorry you are having a tough time. you might try posting on one of the threads about not being able to see grandchildren such as 'Cut out of their Lives' I'm sure you will get lots of support on there. flowers

baubles Mon 09-Sep-13 18:54:59

Ignore me....I've just spotted it.

absent Mon 09-Sep-13 19:30:13

I have too but I don't often read the media thread. It seems an odd place for a gransnet member to have started a discussion.

j08 Mon 09-Sep-13 20:43:13

What scheme though? And what's the one and a half k about?

#probablybeingthickbutstillwanttoknow

Ana Mon 09-Sep-13 20:58:37

I think it should be £150. Five media request fees at £30 a go.

j08 Mon 09-Sep-13 21:03:47

Ah yes! Clever Ana. smile

gracesmum Mon 09-Sep-13 21:34:37

Sorry Hunt but with no knowledge of the subject, I had nothing to offer and I don't usually post unless I have something to say. I frequently do not bother with "media requests anyway. sad Sorry you felt ignored!

FlicketyB Mon 09-Sep-13 21:39:21

I knew about the scheme. In fact I have read something about them somewhere in the last month, complete with photographs of the canal boats and their all-female crews. I have a feeling it was a little booklet by an ex 'Idle' woman who has since died, but where I read it I just cannot remember

I was born towards the end of the war, all my male relatives were in the forces but my far fewer female relatives either had young children, were at school or in reserved occupations like nursing.

merlotgran Mon 09-Sep-13 21:52:32

I have read that one thing that attracted girls to the canals was the chance of 'running your own show' with a few other women and not being beholden to men. Some girls were worried about the armed forces (officers' ground sheets) and also had no desire to work in munitions or nursing.

The girls had to work very hard, often in cold and insanitary conditions and faced hostility from the families who made their living on the canals and needed all the 'loads' they could get. They soon grew to love the narrowboats though and became experts at handling them.

Hunt Mon 09-Sep-13 23:33:22

The price for a media request is £30 and as far as I can gather at least 50 people have posted on this media thread hence £1,500. I felt obliged to do the same because any information gathered may well be included in a book thus making it 'media'. I did not expect any Idle Women to still be alive but hoped that someone might have a treasure in the attic or have an ancestor who was an Idle Woman. Another diary has only recently come to light, and another I W discovered in Tasmania as a result of publicity about this latest diary. It's all rather exciting. The four books written by these brave women are:- Troubled Waters by Margaret Cornish, Maidens' Trip by Emma Smith, Idle Women by Susan Woolfit and The Amateur Boatwomen by Eily Gayford. Merlotgran is quite right, it really was a chance for young women to run their own show and what a splendid job they made of it. Thank you all for your friendly replies, you've quite cheered me up.