Gransnet forums

AIBU

to expect my pressure cooker to still be working!

(13 Posts)
Penstemmon Sat 14-Sep-13 20:01:47

This is my second pressure cooker. My first lasted about 30 years! now after only 12 years the second one has just fallen apart! All the valve area has broken because it is plastic of some sort! Just went to put to lid on a tasty beef and ale casserole hoping it would be ready for 8:00 and it broke angry so supper now severely delayed.

To add insult to injury I was huffing about in the kitchen transferring it into a casserole dish for the oven and I knocked the beer bottle on the floor spilling the remains of the ale! confused

vampirequeen Sat 14-Sep-13 20:16:17

They're not built like they used to be. My pressure cooker was already 20 years old when I was given it. It lasted for another 30 years. In fact the only reason I had to change it for a new fangled one was that Prestige stopped making the replacement gaskets and seals. It broke my heart when I had to throw it away.

Penstemmon Sat 14-Sep-13 20:43:01

That's why I had to get the one that has just broken!

vampirequeen Sat 14-Sep-13 22:33:16

I reckon we had the same type of pressure cooker. I was lucky that I found a little shop that still had the gaskets and seals in stock so I could replace them for longer but unfortunately all good things come to an end and eventually they ran out.

Makes sense for the manufacturers to make them with a less long lasting part...from their point of view. What's the point of making a product that lasts 50 years and people love so much they're not tempted by the newer shinier models? It's not a financial winner is it?

PRINTMISS Sun 15-Sep-13 08:18:40

That's the trouble with everything these days vampirequeen isn't it, whatever we buy, we know it is only probably going to last for the 5 years (or whatever it is guaranteed for). Gone are the days when we bought things to last a life-time, and could get them repaired if necessary.Obviously all down to the financial reward, but we all know that we are creating a stockpile of obsolete material.

Riverwalk Sun 15-Sep-13 09:28:32

Recently my 10-year old washer/dryer conked out - with a full load of wet washing inside. Because of its age I thought it would be a waste of time calling in a plumber to have it repaired.

I was an online click away from ordering a new one for around £500, plus costs to install and to remove old machine when I thought I'd ask my ex to have a look. Turned out to be the motor belt which turns the drum.

A new part costing £9 was ordered and ex fitted it and all is now working well.

It pays to stay on good terms with one's ex! wink

It might be worth having a look for spares from this company.

www.espares.co.uk/

Gally Sun 15-Sep-13 09:29:31

My Mum got a Prestige pressure cooker in the early 50's. it was used constantly until she died when it was used at our holiday house occasionally until 5 years ago and is now resident with DD3 probably as an antique rather than a useful cooking pot! I distinctly remember her shouts of anguish when I was about 5, when her first effort at making rice pudding under pressure resulted in it being forced in an upwards direction through the valve onto the ceiling grin

Brendawymms Sun 15-Sep-13 10:15:41

Getting my 44 year old pressure cooker out today to cook the ham. Haven't used if for a few years but this thread has got me thinking.......

vampirequeen Sun 15-Sep-13 10:54:10

Oh my old one used to cook ham beautifully.

Gally Sun 15-Sep-13 10:56:49

Sadly I can't use my own pressure cooker on my induction hob. Don't think it's worth getting a new one now.....

Hebs Sun 15-Sep-13 16:13:46

I have just made peas pudding in my antique hi dome pressure cooker

Brendawymms Sun 15-Sep-13 19:57:38

gally that seems likely they seem to be made of aluminium I also have to use my gas hop rather than induction hob with the pressure cooker.

glammanana Sun 15-Sep-13 23:58:10

Just a quick note if anyone interested with regard to gaurentee's but Lakeland do a lifetime gaurentee I know they are more expensive but it does give you peace of mind,my neighbour broke the lid on her Ramosca and they sent a full replacement by return of post after she notified them of the problem they just looked up her purchase details and sent a new product to her the same day.