Gransnet forums

AIBU

Deal or no deal show

(17 Posts)
Pollyjo Fri 04-Oct-13 11:43:32

Anyone else agree that this game show unacceptably mocks those desperate souls for the cash for the sake of TV viewing? I personally feel it makes the hair stand up on my neck feeling so sorry for them. Can't watch it any more

Aka Fri 04-Oct-13 11:50:47

Terrible programme. Watched it once and never again.

Eloethan Fri 04-Oct-13 12:26:08

My mum (92) loves it, goodness only knows why (but then she likes Jeremy Kyle too).

Dea or No Deal requires no knowledge and no skill, simply luck. It seems to operate on the principles used to encourage gambling - random positive reinforcement which keeps people reassured enough to take further risks.

Seeing Noel Edmunds, who I believe is a very wealthy person, presiding over this show - in which people often seem quite desperate for money - I find very annoying.

henetha Fri 04-Oct-13 15:11:50

Although I love most quiz shows, I can't stomach this one. All the false kissing and hugging! All the over-the-top celebration if a box happens to be a good one, or the opposite if not! It's purely chance, no skill !!!
And, yes, the desperation of the poor soul in the chair. I always want them to win and can't bear it if they don't. So I can't watch it any more.

whenim64 Fri 04-Oct-13 15:46:15

My twin grandsons have watched Deal or no Deal recently. 'Nana, if you won a million thousand pounds, what would you do with it?'

Me: 'well, I'd share it with lots of people and probably have a nice holiday with you.'

Twins: 'no, that's wrong - you give it back so someone else can win it tomorrow!' grin

KatyK Fri 04-Oct-13 16:35:27

Pollyjo - Do you know, I was just thinking the very same thing. My DH has it on at the moment and I don't think Noel Edmunds is being very nice to the contestant. He is mocking (albeit in a jocular way) the way the lad speaks. Not funny in my book.

whatsgoingon Fri 04-Oct-13 22:49:01

It is a guessing game drawn out for one long painful embarrassing dreadful hour.
DH loves the programme, I myself cannot bear to be in the room when it's on.

ginny Sat 05-Oct-13 08:50:17

I don't like it either. Pure guesswork and it's like watching paint dry.

Greatnan Sat 05-Oct-13 09:09:58

It is the greed that shocks me - people who have been given £50,000 say they are 'devastated' because it could have been £100,000. Noel Edmonds dwells on the bad decisions - he is an obnoxious man.
I once attended a live filming of a chat show, which was about a subject that interested me, and the audience are told to laugh, clap, or groan by boards held up out of sight of the cameras.

Greatnan Sat 05-Oct-13 09:12:27

It is the greed that shocks me - people who have been given £50,000 say they are 'devastated' because it could have been £100,000. Noel Edmonds dwells on the bad decisions - he is an obnoxious man.
I once attended a live filming of a chat show, which was about a subject that interested me, and the audience are told to laugh, clap, or groan by boards held up out of sight of the cameras.

Ceesnan Sat 05-Oct-13 10:38:10

Do you actually know him then greatnan, or is it just an impression you have of him? I ask because he and his first wife were great friends with my DD and family and I met hum several times whilst staying with them. He was always charming and very down to earth.

Penstemmon Sat 05-Oct-13 11:31:47

Ceesnan I found NE's TV persona difficult to like! Have always felt my skin creep when he was on TV. I do not watch any programmes that he hosts now. Pleased to hear in real life he might be different!

KatyK Sat 05-Oct-13 13:16:43

Although I can't stand the programme, I met Noel a couple of times in the 70s and he was lovely

Tegan Sat 05-Oct-13 13:24:14

I wish they'd bring 15/1 back at that time of day. I used to love that [there was a celebrity one recently I believe].

annodomini Sat 05-Oct-13 13:28:13

Never watched it; never will.

Pollyjo Sat 05-Oct-13 13:32:56

Oh I'm so glad to hear someone agrees with me. I am a fan of all quiz shows and when NE comes on telly I have to switch it off. Far too depressing for me. I agree with Tegan 15/1 would be much better

Maggiemaybe Sat 05-Oct-13 13:47:45

I don't think most of the people who go on this sort of show are desperate, though some of course will be. You sometimes see the same faces on different quiz and game shows. I've known people who've applied to go on Deal or no Deal and the Million Pound Drop, and others who've been on Eggheads, Pointless and 3-2-1 (the most confusing game show ever). None of them short of money, or particularly greedy. Surely it's just a step on from buying a lottery ticket for most people?