Gransnet forums

AIBU

to expect a peaceful evening without fireworks?

(50 Posts)
Charleygirl Mon 11-Nov-13 08:59:09

Last night was bliss, not the sound of a firework.

Iam64 Mon 11-Nov-13 08:18:46

I just posted on the other fireworks thread. I don't want to be a misery guts, loved bonfire night as a child. Despite the recession, there is now more money around than when most of us were children, alongside an increase in festivals from various faiths, and halloween means we have fireworks from mid October to mid January around here.

positivepam Sun 10-Nov-13 23:04:08

I agree fireworks do not need to be set off for so many nights and so late at night. You can have fun and still be considerate about other people and their pets. I am not sure what dog and cat "shit" has to do with this topic, but again that is about people being irresponsible as is letting off fireworks so late at night and for so many nights. There is a law and fine re-picking up excrement but unfortunately not one for fireworks. I like pretty ones but why do we have to have such noisy ones and why oh why do idiots let them off so late?

posie Sun 10-Nov-13 22:38:07

Luckily I live in quite a remote village so I don't get troubled with this. However I've heard other people in various parts of the country complaining about this recently. It seems to be worse this year, although I don't know why this should be?

Deedaa Sun 10-Nov-13 22:06:46

I believe that, except for special occasions like New Year's Eve, there is an 11pm curfew for fireworks, but I don't know if or how it is policed.

Fortunately my cats don't mind the bangs and seem quite interested in them. Our poor dog who was reduced to a nervous wreck by them is sadly long gone.

numberplease Sun 10-Nov-13 21:47:28

Years ago, I`m sure it was illegal to set fireworks off or have bonfires on a Sunday, but it certainly doesn`t apply now.

Eloethan Sun 10-Nov-13 20:08:49

It seems to have been going on for weeks here and I must admit I'm a bit fed up with it. I took the dog out this evening and half way round our usual route the bangs and flashes started up yet again. He's not a particularly nervous dog but it was so unexpected that he stood stock still, not knowing quite what to do.

Of course people should have fun but does it need to go on for so long?

Cats and dogs aren't everybody's cup of tea but they are wonderful companions, especially to people who are on their own.

Tegan Sun 10-Nov-13 19:51:19

I'm actually going to ask the vet for some tranquilisers for my dog this week. The only thing I haven't tried is a thundershirt; I did put her coat on the other night and she seemed a bit happier but then it got caught on her crate and she couldn't lie down [I was in another room so didn't notice for a while]. Went out the other night and she all but wrecked the kitchen. When my eldest grandson was very small he was scared of fireworks as well; they lived in a big city at the time so that lasted for weeks on end. Have to be honest and say that, until my grandson had a problem and then the dog [this is my fifth dog and it's the first time I've had this happen] we used to have bonfire parties and didn't give a thought to other people.

Bellasnana Sun 10-Nov-13 19:44:15

Well be thankful you don't live in Malta. We have to put up with fireworks and petards being let off pretty much all summer long as each village has a 'festa' to celebrate their patron saint's day. My mother always said it reminded her of being in London during the Blitz.
Our last dog was absolutely terrified of them even though he had a 'calming collar' and Valium, poor chap. Fortunately the dog we now have isn't bothered at all by the bangs, but many animals ( and people) find them very distressing.

Lilygran Sun 10-Nov-13 19:23:31

We've had fireworks since the middle of October and no sign of them stopping. I thought it was illegal except on November 5th and for organised displays!

sunseeker Sun 10-Nov-13 19:22:11

I am also fed up of the fireworks night after night. I live in a valley and the sound echos around, last night I thought someone was trying to break into my garage because the bangs were so loud! I have no problem with people enjoying themselves but why don't they think of how their actions may affect others, why not get together with the other neighbours and have one big party, would probably cost less too. And for the record bluebell I don't have a dog or a cat.

MaggieP Sun 10-Nov-13 19:17:59

No comment

MrsSB Sun 10-Nov-13 19:17:41

November, not Nivember!

MrsSB Sun 10-Nov-13 19:17:02

I quite agree with you about the dog mess bluebell. However, I can honestly say that every single bit of mess my dog has produced has been picked up and deposited in a bin. I find your comment unnecessary and rather unfriendly, and totally off topic.

I have no problem with people enjoying themselves, but bonfire night is 5 Nivember, with Diwali being last weekend, so there was ample opportunity for people to enjoy it without showing total lack of consideration for others by continuing it for 11 nights. I don't think the person who lets off one huge bomb-like firework at 2am is doing it to enjoy themselves; the sole purpise of that is to wake and annoy people.

bluebell Sun 10-Nov-13 19:10:09

And just to throw a firework into the thread - what I get really fed up,of is day after day after day of dog and cat shit everywhere.

bluebell Sun 10-Nov-13 19:08:28

Because expecting a peaceful evening at this time of the year is unreasonable - especially when Guy Fawkes coincides with Diwali. People are having fun and enjoying themselves - we had fireworks in our garden on Tuesday and it was lovely. No organised display to go to.

Charleygirl Sun 10-Nov-13 18:57:37

I quite agree Mrs SB. I have to persuade my cat to go out in daylight hours and then around midnight as we has not had any peace here for 2 weeks. I am hoping that tonight will be a quiet night.

Neighbours of a friend bought £500 worth which lasted about 10 minutes. He apparently has money to burn.

Christmas and New Year are just around the corner so that will be more noisy fireworks.

Why can people not go to local displays?

KatyK Sun 10-Nov-13 18:52:19

Same here - night after night - it's going on now. I assume there are various festivals but I can't think why so many.

MrsSB Sun 10-Nov-13 18:49:15

And bluebell perhaps you'd like to explain why you think I am being unreasonable (I assume YABU means "you are being unreasonable").

MrsSB Sun 10-Nov-13 18:47:42

I just don't understand why it goes on for so long. I can understand the Saturday before and/or after 5/11, and on 5/11 itself, but 11 nights running? Why?????

MaggieP Sun 10-Nov-13 18:41:41

Sorry bluebell! what do your letters mean?

MaggieP Sun 10-Nov-13 18:39:13

Totally agree MrsSB, we have two dogs, the old Lab barks like mad when he hears fireworks then runs around the house and the little 5 yr old "Dubai" dog ( inherited from son) gets more and more anxious, trembles and pants and now lives on a towel under the kitchen table! We have a diffuser from the vet to give off happy odours?! But we are getting as stressed as the dogs..... Little one may need Valium before too long.....

bikergran Sun 10-Nov-13 18:35:27

agree MrsSB but think it has been tried..and rejected.

bluebell Sun 10-Nov-13 18:33:37

YABU

MrsSB Sun 10-Nov-13 18:12:55

iWe have had fireworks here for 11 evenings running now. Our poor dog trembles, pants, runs from room to room trying to hide.When are they going to end? Why do these ridiculous people feel the need to keep doing this, night after night? Where DO they find the money - I certainly don't have money to "blow up"! Isn't it about time there was some sort of legislation to stop these idiots setting off what can only be described as small bombs night after night after night?