Gransnet forums

AIBU

Values

(57 Posts)
suzieq Wed 04-Dec-13 07:47:27

My background is one of being careful with money and valuing skills, health, education, the environment -fairly lefty all round. My son is married to someone who sees how things look as very important.
We've bought some duplo for our two-year-old granddaughter because she has few toys that are encouraging her fine motor skills and she enjoys playing with what she already has. We have been asked also to buy some wellies for her and the ones requested are Hunter, which will also need the coordinating socks. Not much change from £40 if we are lucky. I have never been interested in brands for their own sake and think this is completely ridiculous - the child doesn't care what she wears. I don't think she has ever been fitted for properly supportive shoes and wears what her mum and other grandmother think are pretty -often they buy them without fitting.
As an unfortunate contrast, our daughter, of necessity, lives very frugally.
I know I must work it out for myself, but has anyone else been caught in this quandary? I must resolve it without upsetting a person who has joined our family but whose values and what she cares about are so different to mine.

rockgran Sun 08-Dec-13 05:20:10

After a few mistakes - such as duplicating what they already had - I always used to pick something from their amazon wish list. That way it was a surprise but definitely wanted and you can spend an appropriate amount. As they are now abroad I have sent money and my DiL told me what we had "bought" and wrapped it from us. Luckily my DiL is quite sensible about what they receive but I don,t think you can do much about it anyway or your gift won't be used - and I hate waste!

ellecowan1975 Fri 06-Dec-13 22:13:38

oh dear, i don't envy anyone caught in this dilemma... personally i would not want to buy shoes or boots for a child without said child being able to try them on, i think its best to speak honestly to the parents if not in time for this xmas then definitely put in some groundwork before the next one comes around.
Best of Luck ;) x

Deedaa Fri 06-Dec-13 20:28:34

I am reminded of Ab Fab when Saffy bought Edina earings for her birthday " I like them if they're Lacroix darling" grin

Enviousamerican Fri 06-Dec-13 16:54:26

No your not. smile

Bellasnana Fri 06-Dec-13 16:21:41

Am I the only one who had never heard of 'Hunter' wellies until reading this thread?

Galen Fri 06-Dec-13 15:44:11

I agree about the narrow ankles. I have swollen ankles from arthritis and couldn't get hunter or any other make of wellies or boots. In the end I found a pair of Ecco that fitted but the price tchshock

janthea Fri 06-Dec-13 15:12:56

I must admit to having a pair of Hunter wellies in red. I've had Hunters for years. They are very comfortable.

However, I wouldn't pay the price for DGC as they grow out of them too quickly. I find the JoJo Bebe Maman ones are very pliable and the children love them. They come in lovely colours too. And cost around £15.

yogagran Thu 05-Dec-13 22:17:26

I don't think Hunter wellies last as well as they did years ago. Didn't the original company go bust and now they are made much more cheaply in China or somewhere. I used to wear them but gave up when the quality deteriorated. Like bags I now always have Muck Boots, really comfortable, shaped to fit your feet and ankles and they're lined in neoprene for warmth. I use them all year round for dog walking and dealing with the horses. I've got plum coloured ones at the moment! Perfect!

janeainsworth Thu 05-Dec-13 22:14:14

I have Le Chameau wellies. Like the Duchess of Cambridge wink

Deedaa Thu 05-Dec-13 21:44:51

I'm as much of a sucker for labels as the next woman, but I can't see the point of spending that much money on children's clothes. Many items are outgrown in weeks rather than months and you've probaly got a window of a couple of weeks when the fit is perfect. Seems a long way from the days when my aunt always gave me dark coloured clothes for Christmas - so they wouldn't show the dirt and wouldn't need to be washed very often.

Flowerofthewest Thu 05-Dec-13 21:44:36

Eeeow!!! Nellie I hope not

Nelliemoser Thu 05-Dec-13 13:33:45

Flower Frog face willies?? is that achieved by tattos? grin

gillybob Thu 05-Dec-13 13:24:50

suzieq My 2 grandaughters both have Hunter wellies. They are 5 and 7 and spend most of the time when they are not at school in and around horses. They are the only wellies that seem to be able to stand up to the rough treatment of mucking out etc. Those cute little things you can get for a quarter of the price are only really meant for the occasional splash in a puddle.

I would say if your DiL is requesting the expensive wellies because your grandaughter will get full use of them, well so be it, but as a designer statement, no way.

Flowerofthewest Thu 05-Dec-13 08:47:57

Frog faced willies, the mind boggles Phoenix surely they were mere tadpoles grin

baubles Thu 05-Dec-13 05:59:01

I'm definitely not one for labels, don't think I've ever owned a 'designer' item of clothing in my life. I do however wear Hunter wellies. They are so hard wearing but also really comfortable, the footbed has more of a shape than any cheap wellies ive had. I can walk for miles in them, they are every bit as supportive as my walking boots and with thick wool socks must as warm.

Wouldn't buy them for children though unless they were being handed down several times.

Granny23 Thu 05-Dec-13 02:02:50

Or even Willy Connolly's belly song to coin a malapropism grin

Anne58 Thu 05-Dec-13 01:30:53

Oh Granny23 neither of my boys had frog faced willies, (well, not last time I saw them blush grin Mind you, I definitely couldn't comment on the growing rate!

Billy Connolly's wellie song!

Granny23 Thu 05-Dec-13 00:20:44

The willies with frog faces must have been a sight to behold Phoenix grin I suspect a deliberate mistake.

If it wisnae for yer wellies where wad ye be
You'd be in the hospital or infirmary
You would hae a dose of the cold or even pleurisy
If ye didnae hae yer feet in yer Wellies

Anne58 Thu 05-Dec-13 00:14:40

I am currently wellie-less, but will admit that my last umpteen pairs were Hunters (also used to borrow J's hunters when walking the dogs with B)

I found them comfortable, supple and they seemed to have a thicker more "bouncy" sole than some of the cheap and cheerful ones.

Having said that, both my boys had the willies with frog faces on, and then a succession of the cheap ones, purely because of the growing rate!

My Hunters would last for years, and I could also ride ok in them, whereas the stiff cheap ones would crack.

So I suppose what I'm saying is wellies for those that are going to outgrow them pdq should be cheep and cheerful ones, wellies for adults, well, take your pick!

Granny23 Thu 05-Dec-13 00:10:41

My (not so D)MIL, all pride and poverty, bought my 2 DDs, as their main present, the most beautiful, highly expensive, party dresses, from an exclusive shop in town, every Christmas when they were little. Unfortunately she did not hand them over until she arrived in the afternoon for Christmas dinner, when the girls were already dressed in their, hand made by myself, party frocks, which caused no end of upset as she insisted they must change into them immediately and then wear coveralls to keep them clean. DDs tended to prefer their home made dresses because they had chosen the colours and design themselves (and their dolls had, of course, miniature matching versions).

Such a waste of money, as the party season was over and the frocks were too small by the following Christmas. As a financially struggling stay at home mum, how I longed for some warm jumpers or pyjamas, or even a plainer smart dress for Sundays - something practical.

Still rankles. As you can see blush

Sook Wed 04-Dec-13 23:21:54

My Hunter wellies came from the factory shop in Dumfries they lasted me for years until my bunions eventually poked their way through. DH stuck inner tube patches on them to prolong their usability grin

My 4 DGC will each receive money from me in cheque form to go straight into their bank accounts. I shop throughout the year for presents buying clothes in sales and small novelty gifts and books from charity shops and carboot sales. I am reluctant to give cash as I know both DILs would waste it (imo) on overpriced Disney trash.

Anno I love your idea for the tee shirts and pens.

merlotgran Wed 04-Dec-13 23:17:09

Just give them a voucher and let them waste spend the money on whatever they want for her.

I gave DD2 some money towards a pair of Hunters for her birthday last year as she wanted the real deal to wear at Glastonbury. She was born and brought up on a farm so should know better. We wear Dickies or Avon wellies

Hunters are no good for anyone with arthritic knees or hips. They are far too tight around the ankles and calves so you need to be a contortionist to get them on and off.

Nonnie Wed 04-Dec-13 22:26:18

Should we assume that the parents are affluent? If they are then spending so much on the boots would not be significant to them and they might not see it in quite the same way as others less well off. I think that if I could afford to I would just buy them for the sake of harmony.

Flowerofthewest Wed 04-Dec-13 22:14:27

Why Hunter wellies, complete snobbery.I have heard people ask for 'Hunters' not even adding wellies onto the end of the request. Ridiculous !!!

I always buy what I wish for my smaller grandchildren, it is my choice and they always seem to like what I choose. I spend no more than £20 (sometimes go over to around £25) but this year it will be a little less. Just the joy of seeing them opening their gifts is enough for me. My older DGDs love a box of smaller items, chosen with love and to their interests. One of my DGSs loves building Air-fix and such like. My older DD suggests games for the electronic device but he absolutely loves 'making' he is 11. My eldest DGS was thrilled with a set of 'really cool' headphones for his laptop.

Sorry to go on and I hope I haven't offended anyone but £40 for splashing around in muddy puddles is stupid. I am sure she would love a pair of Peppa Pig wellies for a 5th of the price. After all that's what Peppa Pig does most of the time.

Granny23 Wed 04-Dec-13 22:06:52

I bought hand knitted, Ugg boots, complete with official looking label and presented in a miniature shoe box, for £5 at a craft stall in Castlebay, Barra. Sized for 6-12 months they made a lovely, tongue in cheek, present for a nearly newborn. smile