Gransnet forums

AIBU

To expect my on-line Tutor to be able to master basic rules?

(18 Posts)
Anne58 Tue 10-Dec-13 18:37:11

Evening all,

I am currently doing an on-line course, Level 2 in Business & Administration.

To be honest, I'm not boasting when I say that I know most of it anyway, through having actually done the damn stuff, but I signed up for 3 reasons.
A) It was one of the few courses that were actually free
B) There is a certificate at the end, so something to add to the CV
C) I'm hoping that it will go some way to stop my brain turning to mush!

(I spent far longer than I should have last night trying to think of the medical term that was the opposite to "chronic" head scratching, table thumping, various expressions of frustration. Went to bed, woke up just after 3am shouting "Acute" !)

However, the messages that I have had so far from my Tutor have been a bit worrying. Using lower case "i" when referring to himself, plus the use of a capital letter in his sign off, "Kind Regards"

The use of a capital for "regards" seems to be quite common among various organisations that I have had the misfortune to deal with recently , but to have a Tutor using it seems a bit beyond the pale.

Unreasonable or not?

janerowena Tue 10-Dec-13 18:43:24

I see things like that and remind myself that they are not language graduates. One of my son's friends, a business graduate, recently wrote that he had just been 'breathlized'.

Ana Tue 10-Dec-13 18:55:03

I wouldn't be too bothered about the small 't' for tutor, to be honest. Perhaps he doesn't want to big himself up..?

Pittcity Tue 10-Dec-13 18:57:30

My nieces are multiple A* students currently at University, one studying creative writing. Their spelling and grammar are atrocious.
Letters home from my son's school are a proof reader's nightmare.
It seems that these things are no longer important "as long as the examiner can guess what you are trying to say..."
We will all be using text speak before long and spelling, punctuation and grammar will be history. sad

janerowena Tue 10-Dec-13 19:01:01

I think you are right. My daughter, however, is studying law and her spelling and grammar have improved. I have become lazy, though. I used to go back and correct typos, but I no longer bother.

Anne58 Tue 10-Dec-13 19:01:48

Ana he doesn't use the word "Tutor" so that doesn't really come into it. It's the lower case i and the capital R on regards that I find odd.

(Bit tchblush that I had to re-submit a module, as apparently I had not given enough information as to how to be professional at a business event!)

Lilygran Tue 10-Dec-13 19:11:00

It's appalling but there you are. Also, tip I picked up and have found relevant to friends who have taken up study again later in life. As a mature student you have to abandon any idea you might have formed about concentrating on the important points. Pretend the recipient knows NOTHING about the subject and get used to stating the bleedin' obvious. Good luck, phoenix!

petra Tue 10-Dec-13 19:12:30

We always say, if you can't do it, teach it, if you can't teach it, lecture on it.

Ana Tue 10-Dec-13 19:15:05

Oh! Sorry, I misread that, Phoenix yes the lower case 'i' is very odd!

FlicketyB Tue 10-Dec-13 19:36:21

The Head Master of an Independent school was in the papers this week complaining about the ungrammatical, badly spelt and illiterate applications he received from experienced trained teachers when he advertised for new staff. Many of them did not even know the proper layout for a letter or how the Head Master should be addressed in it.

Nonu Tue 10-Dec-13 19:45:15

Petra*
tchwink tchwink

MiceElf Tue 10-Dec-13 19:58:23

Perhaps they had the temerity to address his elevated self as Head Teacher smile

MiceElf Tue 10-Dec-13 19:59:38

Or perhaps they had been unable to obtain a position in a state school for those very reasons.

wisewoman Tue 10-Dec-13 20:17:54

I agree with Lilygran - when doing courses nowadays you are expected to regurgitate what they have told you, not think for yourself and, as she says, state the bleedin obvious! This does not apply to OU courses I am glad to say but anything that calls itself a "module" is difficult for those of us who were taught to put things into our own words and show some initiative. Don't let it get you down Phoenix - best to assume the tutor is an idiot and just regurgitate what you have been told. It is very unsatisfying but that is the way of the world. Have you heard of Futurelearn courses - they are run in conjunction with the OU and are free with lots of interesting subjects to keep the brain functioning (maybe not relevant to CV though) flowers

Galen Tue 10-Dec-13 20:24:38

You should see the appeal letters we get.
The other day somebody said he suffered from 'And gyni' angina!

Ariadne Tue 10-Dec-13 20:26:31

There is, as far as I am concerned, absolutely no excuse for any professional person to spell and punctuate incorrectly, to use poor grammar and not understand the protocols of letter writing. "Yours faithfully" in the wrong place would always irritate me when I was considering applications.

And as for abbreviations, Americanisms, and sloppy use of words - well. It is mostly a case of what is appropriate and where, but still, to me, reflects the writer as inept and careless.

(Fat finger syndrome doesn't count!)

Deedaa Tue 10-Dec-13 21:49:32

My daughter spends a lot of time correcting the efforts of her PhD students. Her teachers were worried about her taking A level English with her sciences, but it has paid dividends. There is not much point in cutting edge research if you can't make your findings intelligible to other people and when tendering for millions of pounds worth of grants you definitely need to make yourself understood!
My son in law has to cope with engineering homework written in text speak and is trying to convince his pupils that job applications will need to be written in correct English.

FlicketyB Tue 10-Dec-13 22:09:26

I spent part of my working life taking the gibberish written by engineers and turning it into good understandable English. To be fair, I never came across anyone who couldn't format a letter, but at that time, although email was used internally, business was still conducted through letters.