Gransnet forums

AIBU

Reducing contact with Grandmother

(133 Posts)
veexox Tue 14-Jan-14 00:37:58

Hi I'm a young 20 year old mother to a 6 month old darling girl we have been living with partners parents since I was 8 months pregnant. Since baby was born MIL has been total nightmare snatching baby off me, feeding, changing, constant bombardment she won't leave us to just bond as a family of 3 she's always telling me what to do and putting me down. Since she was born MIL revolves her life around my child today for instance I previously told MIL could she look after LO for an hour alone as I needed to go to university to pick some work up I thought I was doing her a favour as I could easily have taken her with me . Little did I know MIL swapped her shifts when I told MIL I didn't need to go she hit the roof wouldn't speak to me so I had to go for an hours walk so she could spend time with my daughter I don't really let her babysit alone as I love spending time with my daughter... She's a lonely lady in an unhappy marriage and lives her life through her 3 sons since baby's been born she seems to think it's another chance to be a mum again. She's barged in on the birth, called me fat the list goes on and on. I've told my partner we either move out or I'm going without him he's tried talking to MIL but she doesn't listen we have told her we are moving out in a few weeks and MIL has hit the roof stating she will be going for custody and visitation 5 times a week. She's called me an unfit mother etc she just seems completely obsessed with my daughter! I'm thinking of cutting contact for a while until she stops being so clingy I don't want to cut her out of my daughters life I just want her to respect me as her mother and primary carer. How can I stop her doing this? It's really stressing me out I just want her to be Grandma !

Flowerofthewest Mon 24-Feb-14 13:33:28

Agree with you Veevox she does sound slightly unhinged. What a strange thing to say. Good luck with the move for you all. Do as glamma says and do a midnight flit with OH doing the final goodbyes. Good luck flowers

glammanana Mon 24-Feb-14 11:08:22

Such good news Veexox well done to your OH for getting a job he likes and you will soon be settled in uni,will you use the uni childminding facilities for your DD when you are at lectures ? Enjoy your new surroundings and put all the silly suggestions from your MIL at the back of your mind she is obviously terrified of loosing control of her DS and your child,can you not go up to Manchester a week or so before you are due to start uni & leave OH to pack up all your belongings that way there will be no final upsets with MIL,you could maybe stay with your dad and his family and relax for a week or so.

yogagran Sun 23-Feb-14 22:04:07

Thanks for keeping us up to date with your news Veexox, it's so good when we hear of the outcome of these threads especially when they turn out to be so positive. Good luck with the move for you and your family

whenim64 Fri 21-Feb-14 13:17:17

You'll be fine up here in Manchester, and who knows - the relationship might regain a little balance because of the distance. Good luck.

annodomini Fri 21-Feb-14 12:40:13

Great news, Veexox. I hope that you all settle down in Manchester and have a lovely future as a family.

Mishap Fri 21-Feb-14 12:33:14

Who indeed Veevox. Her behaviour is not normal and sadly (as having good relationship with grandparents can be very positive) you are undoubtedly doing the right thing; and I am delighted for you all that you will be moving away and getting on with your own lives and parenting without this toxic influence. I am sure it is not a situation you would have chosen, but I am glad that a solution has presented itself and wish you every good luck for your new future.

Ariadne Fri 21-Feb-14 12:03:48

veevox that sounds like very positive news - the new job and a move! I had to transfer universities when I was about your age, and it wasn't a problem.

You have to get away, as fast as you can. I hope you can do it soon.

veexox Fri 21-Feb-14 11:53:53

Update!

Well OH has had 3 job interviews in Manchester and has been offered a new job which I'm very happy about as my family live up there, I'm also in the middle of transferring to another university. MIL hasn't taken this well and has gone even more nuts even asking me and OH could she adopt DD as we are young and should live our lives without a baby weighing us down and I've suffered from depression in the past . I'm 21 and OH is 27 so we aren't little teenagers at school. I love my DD so much I'm considering not even allowing her to spend time with her alone as I'm scared to death she might not give her back. OH now realises how clingy she has become I can't do anything without her input, I realise LO has given her happiness for the first time in years but she needs to realise she's grandma not mummy. I feel so mean but I feel like she's mentally unhinged! Who in the world asks a mummy who loves her daughter dearly and looks after her properly to give her to granny for adoption?

Penstemmon Mon 17-Feb-14 18:30:25

veevox if your MIL is as awful as you paint her then you have no choice but to go. You are Evie's mum and need to be adult and responsible. So tell your OH that you need to spend some time at your Dad's because you do not want things to get so bad that there is no route back with your MIL.
If you can come up with a positive alternative..a place to live with DH or an alternative minder for Evie when you are at Uni /work.. this will show you have thought this through seriously. Your OH needs to feel he can still love his mum and you! Try not to make it a choice..you or his mum.
If MiL cannot talk about this reasonably then write to her , carefully saying thanks for the home she has provided for you and Evie and the love she has for her. BUT you need to learn how to be Evie's mum and she needs to learn how to be Evie's grandma. Living together has blurred the lines so a time apart will help you both, and most of all Evie. Happy mum = happy baby! i really hope this works out for all of you, kids realy benefit form having a positive extended family so try hard to maintain that!
flowers

margaretm74 Sat 15-Feb-14 21:20:32

I just said 'never apologise' on another post - so don't!! grin

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 15-Feb-14 21:13:20

Should have said "some of the advice".

margaretm74 Sat 15-Feb-14 20:50:41

I thought my advice was quite sensible jings. DD1 has had a terrible time over the years with her PIL which could have caused some people to have a nervous breakdown I thought the way DD1 dealt with the situation was admirable, and thought it would help veevox.

Minty Sat 15-Feb-14 20:04:33

Could it be that we should talk to each other, not talk about each other?

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 15-Feb-14 19:50:08

Veevox, she can't physically restrain you. Just put the baby in the buggy and go if you want to meet your friends. Just be firm but nice. You will have to be a grownup to do that. I'm sure you can.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 15-Feb-14 19:41:58

I've never known a kangaroo court where only one party is able to put their side of the story.

I don't think the advice on here is of very good quality. Not enough give and take being advocated.

Stir up bad feelings in a family and the worst could happen.

FlicketyB Sat 15-Feb-14 19:36:08

I fail to see what was smug about my email. Being denied access is an entirely different matter and I have every sympathy for people in that position.

I was replying to a post that talked about loving a grandchild as if they were the parent and wanting to be a third parent. It really scares me when I read posts like that because, to me that is one of the first steps to being denied access or having access limited, like the MiL of Veevox.

There are many reasons why grandparents have no access to their grandchildren, most of which are out of their control and it must be truly devastating when this happens, but being denied access because the grandmother is behaving in a way that is intrusive and way over the mark does happen and is within a grandparents control.

margaretm74 Sat 15-Feb-14 16:36:53

one of my DDs has had a terrible time with her MIL since she first met SIL. I think the problem with her MIL is extreme jealousy (even trying to upset their wedding).

They have not lived in the same house but were all involved in a family business. When DGS arrived both MIL and FIL tried to take over. DD1 has had to maintain a civil but more distant relationship with them both for the sake of DGS as she feels it is important they are part of his life.

You must find your own place then you can set your own rules re your daughter's upbringing and say nicely but firmly "this is how we do it in our house and this is how it is - please!". But try to maintain contact - on your terms - although she sounds a very difficult woman. My DD1 has had to toughen up considerably over the years, her PIL are (can't express how awful), but DGS loves them and they adore him, which is what matters most of all.

Good luck.

Ana Sat 15-Feb-14 16:25:53

This OP rings a bell. Have you posted about this problem before, veexox? I remember the 'barging in at the birth and calling me fat' bit.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 15-Feb-14 16:18:44

That cake went through the baby very quickly if it caused diarreah immediately after it was eaten.

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 15-Feb-14 16:09:47

Perhaps you wouldn't feel so bloody smug if you were were denied access flicketyB.

FlicketyB Sat 15-Feb-14 15:16:34

I was much older than you (64), when I became grandmother and I believe strongly that grandparents, how ever much the they want to' hug and touch and be as much part of their grandchild's life as their parents' should have the wisdom and knowledge to know that is far overstepping the mark and that they should stand well back and not even contemplate trying to do such a thing.

The baby is the child of the parents and they are absolutely the final arbiters of their welfare. As grandparents we all hope and want to be part of our grandchildren's lives, but we should look to our children for guidance about how they see that relationship developing and work with it.

There have been a number of threads on Gransnet from grandmothers, who have become far too enmeshed in their grandchildren's lives or expect to be like an extra parent and then are totally devastated when a child moves or tries to reduce grandparental intrusion into their lives.

I love my grandchildren dearly, I am off to fulfil my grandparental duty over half term. It is going to be marvellous, but I do feel I have such a happy relationship with DS, DDiL and DGC because I grandparent on their terms not mine.

tinkestral Sat 15-Feb-14 08:58:18

I want to answer this as honestly as I can, I lived next door to my mother in law and I was like touch my baby I kill you !! They would constantly want to hug and touch and be as much a part of my sons life as me and his dad was.
But you now what being a nan now I really do understand it completely. You have your own children and they grow up and being only 40 and becoming a nan was a bit of a surprise. But I never imagined in my life I could love another child like my own and when I saw my grandughter it was love at first sight.
what I would say is grandparents are invaluable , yes a pain up the arse at times but just remember they love the baby as much as you.

Aka Sat 15-Feb-14 08:47:06

Just get out and get a place of your own. How feasible is that?

FlicketyB Sat 15-Feb-14 08:34:45

Veevox, you are doing the right thing. Your daughter's welfare, which includes yours, is the most important thing to consider. I hope you both settle down at your father's home, and now you are there take your time about deciding what you do next. You have been through a difficult and stressful time and it will take awhile for you to recover your equilibrium.

As for feeding cake to a 6 month old!! You have the MiL from Hell.

JessM Sat 15-Feb-14 07:49:25

Yes indeed you need to take yourself and your child out of this abusive environment. Your MIL is a bully and your husband has probably had a lifetime of "trying not to upset mum" and needs to think long and deeply about the future.