Gransnet forums

AIBU

Marius the giraffe - did they have to kill him?

(13 Posts)
papaoscar Sun 09-Feb-14 14:13:11

So young Marius the giraffe, young and fit, has been killed and butchered at Copenhagen zoo just because he was surplus to their requirements. This despite other zoos offering to re-home him. I like the Danes and their country but I find the conduct of this zoo and their director, Bengst Holst, in this matter cruel, disgusting, disgraceful and unnecessary. Anybody agree?

Ariadne Sun 09-Feb-14 14:17:33

The thread below yours is already discussing this, papaoscar. (Didn't want you to feel you were being ignored!)

papaoscar Sun 09-Feb-14 15:11:06

Thanks, Ariadne. I've now jumped ship to the Copenhagen Giraffe, so can close this thread.

thatbags Sun 09-Feb-14 16:37:42

I think the actions of the zoo have been rational and realistic.

Galen Sun 09-Feb-14 17:16:40

Particularly in view of the small gene pool. Would it be better to obtain some semen from wild giraffes. I don't mean capture them. Just get the sperm and release.

annodomini Sun 09-Feb-14 17:31:23

Galen, that would indeed be an interesting procedure!

thatbags Sun 09-Feb-14 17:34:22

Indeed! I'm having difficulty imagining what would be involved! grin

I presume you'd have to execute a temporary capture?

But yes, it's an interesting subject this of keeping the gene pool of zoo animals healthy. It can't be always easy.

Galen Sun 09-Feb-14 18:00:08

Tranquilliser darts and some sort of extractor?

KatyK Sun 09-Feb-14 18:12:24

Was it necessary to feed his carcass to the lions in front of visitors to the zoo I wonder?

glammanana Sun 09-Feb-14 18:32:44

I read to-day that Longleat had their two full grown lions & four cubs put to sleep due to the worry of the size of the pride causing violent behaviour surely they could have been dispursed to other zoo's where the population was not so big.

Nelliemoser Sun 09-Feb-14 18:49:47

KatyK
Why not? Watching the lions being fed used to be a highlight of a day at many Zoos. It does not make any difference what species is being eaten. They eat what they can catch in the wild and often eat it alive.

See the Copenhagen Zoo thread.

KatyK Mon 10-Feb-14 10:20:01

Nellie - yes I suppose so. Somehow it made me feel uneasy and they also did the autopsy in full view of young children.

KatyK Mon 10-Feb-14 10:21:34

...or cut him up or whatever it was, perhaps autopsy was the wrong word.