Gransnet forums

AIBU

Handymen.

(13 Posts)
Tegan Mon 10-Feb-14 17:57:41

My house is falling apart and I need lots of jobs doing that I can't do myself. Why is it that, whenever I phone someone up that advertises 'no job too small' they never get back to me confused. I left a message with a plumber today asking him to call me back to give a quote for some work but, thus far there has been no reply. I don't like to keep phoning; if someone doesn't get back to me that's it. Don't people need work these days sad.

Soutra Mon 10-Feb-14 18:06:16

It makes you wonder!
I usually try to get "word of mouth" recommendations, but I agree, they can be hard to pin down unless they see a profitable "big" project ahead of them. I am still waiting for the man to regrout our patio (done years ago and grout started coming out the following summer) I thought I had him as I said we wanted the front repaved as well, but then let slip that I was cutting back and only needed the path repaving. Not enoough to tempt him!!

Charleygirl Mon 10-Feb-14 18:37:32

I am a member of Netmums, I look on Local Services and read the reviews. I have only been disappointed once.

When I first moved into this house, I used the estate agent's recommendations as these plumbers etc. were used frequently by them.

mollie Mon 10-Feb-14 18:45:14

I sympathise! Whatever happened to the local odd job man that used to clear up all these jobs?

Howevre, I've mentioned this before but my local Age Concern office runs a handyman service as well as keeping a list of vetted local workmen so it might be worth checking out your own local branch or similar charities.

Tegan Mon 10-Feb-14 19:04:16

I used the Age Concern site sad. I'll have to give this one a second chance as what they've advertised is exactly what I need [plumbing and tiling, but only small jobs with both]. There is someone from work that is a jack of all trades [I haven't tried him yet, but he charges by the day and it's best to get all the work lined up and ready for him to do] but as it involves drilling into the tiles in the bathroom I daren't risk anything going wrong.

rosesarered Tue 11-Feb-14 11:03:57

We use the trading standards site, and they highlight workmen by the £75 sign that will do smaller jobs. That way you avoid all the effort of not getting a response from the 'big guys'.

harrigran Tue 11-Feb-14 12:15:21

I always say we are considering doing a lot of work in the house and could they just come and do this small one for me, the inference is that they will also get the large project. I wanted an outside tap fitted, silence, "I am considering a new boiler and 13 radiators plus copper piping throughout the house".... "ok Mrs h" grin

Granart Tue 11-Feb-14 14:03:50

I think it is worse when workmen agree a day to come and don't bother to turn up. That has happened to me a few times. But I recently contacted someone on the local Age Concern list to do various bits and bobs and got someone who did a fantastic job. Very lucky choice!

Stansgran Tue 11-Feb-14 14:30:57

A friend recommended a plumber. I have a leaking tap from the base and am on a water meter. The tap is 20years old and nothing fitted so he used his useful plumbers tape. Messed about with the wretched thing and was here about an hour. So I need a new tap about £80 to judge from the web pages. No charge from him. He seemed pleasant too. He said call him back when I got the new one and what to look for.

Aka Tue 11-Feb-14 15:15:36

Sometimes the best handymen are in so much demand they take forever to get back to you. Remember the squeaky gate gets oiled first....keep on nagging ringing.

I sent my regular handyman a poem last time which worked wonders…

Tegan Tue 11-Feb-14 19:15:48

Tried emailing this time [with a very long list of jobs which falls just short of rebuilding the house wink]....

Icyalittle Tue 11-Feb-14 23:10:46

When we approached a local conservatory firm about some repairs to ours, we had no reply to three phone calls / emails. When we called in instead, the manager said huffily "There is a recession on - we've had to lay people off you know" Guess who we won't be using when the economy improves and we have a new one.

AllSeasonsHM Thu 20-Mar-14 11:27:24

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.