Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think the word "magical" overused?

(23 Posts)
JessM Fri 14-Feb-14 18:55:53

I bought a packet of tea because it is a fair trade brand. They are promising "magical" prizes. Lots of them.
The top prizes is a tea party in a lovely place. Most of the prizes are packets of tea, mugs etc. Now put me right if you like, but there is nothing magical about packets of tea and mugs is there. And even a nice tea party in a glorious location is not magical. Some engineering might be involved in the travel but this is not magic. Has this word been done to death perhaps and needs a period of quiet retreat and contemplation?

rockgran Fri 14-Feb-14 19:05:53

So many words get overused....absolutely, brilliant, fantastic, amazing, totally, cool, excellent, fabulous, etc. I think we should make up our own words. That would be so tantifractious! grin

rosesarered Fri 14-Feb-14 19:44:45

Hero is the most overused!

Brendawymms Fri 14-Feb-14 20:26:17

Unique is abused frequently. Absolutely unique, totally unique. If it's unique it does not need other words it just is.

Ana Fri 14-Feb-14 20:29:44

Yes, that annoys me too, Brendawymms. I don't really think 'magical' is particularly overused, although it may be in the advertising of children's merchandise.

Kiora Fri 14-Feb-14 20:32:17

Phenomenal is another over used word. My secret vice is QVC. They really over use it. I'v bought some lovely things, i'v even had some bargains but never had anything truly phenomenal. (Hope I'v spelt is right)

Deedaa Fri 14-Feb-14 20:49:57

Amazing and Awesome still come out on top.

JessM Fri 14-Feb-14 21:11:27

dreams

absent Fri 14-Feb-14 21:12:25

I agree with you Deedaa. Awesome – very popular where I live – drives me nuts. It's applied to the most mundane things, such as one-day sales, that don't even inspire much interest, let alone feelings of respect and wonder.

margaretm74 Fri 14-Feb-14 21:32:13

Courageous is over-used. Footballers are not courageous FFF.

Soldiers, firemen, policemen, explorers yes. But footballers, tennis players? No, no, no.

JessM Fri 14-Feb-14 22:06:38

not heroes either are they

ginny Fri 14-Feb-14 22:49:33

Agree with all the above. Another overused word 'Devestated'.

margaretm74 Fri 14-Feb-14 23:30:05

A heroic goal. Grrrr!

absent Sat 15-Feb-14 18:36:05

I've just been reminded of another one – epic. Do the people who use these words even know what they mean?

Rowantree Sat 15-Feb-14 18:43:14

Totes agreed! (there goes another one)....And then there are, like, (another one!) the phrases: 'At the end of the day', 'I'm not being funny, but....', 'turns round' (as in 'so he turns round to me and says....')

absent Sat 15-Feb-14 18:48:28

Rowantree I love the idea of people holding conversations while spinning like a top.

Deedaa Sat 15-Feb-14 19:18:42

And of course "I'm not being funny" always means the exact opposite!

papaoscar Sat 15-Feb-14 19:53:28

OK, that's cool, guys! ...just has me reaching for the sick bag. Those few simple quasi-American imports, particularly when delivered in an English accent, just sound so false to me. This together with the bucket-loads of platitudes, similies, soaring hyperboles and oxymorons chucked all over us every day by ego-mad media mega-mouths and public relations parasites 'do my head in', give me 'issues' and leave me far from 'chilled'. Time for one of my powders, I think. Nurse!

Rowantree Sat 15-Feb-14 19:57:23

Deedaa - yes, quite - it generally means, 'I'm about to say something offensive/rude'...

margaretm74 Sat 15-Feb-14 20:59:58

Don't take this the wrong way, but ...

To be honest ( a bull*** fantasist who DD2 used to be friendly with and you knew a load of drivel would emerge from his mouth)

Brendawymms Sat 15-Feb-14 21:13:58

At this moment in time...... What's wrong with ....now?

ginny Sat 15-Feb-14 23:56:51

Oh and it really annoys me ,when with a group of people to be addressed as "guys".

margaretm74 Sun 16-Feb-14 14:21:26

Some of DD2's friends who work and live in London (film/media types) say this, one of her friends in particular to DH and me "hey you guys, how you doing?" "We're fine, thankyou, how are you?" "Good, thanks" (he is lovely though so we forgive him)