Gransnet forums

AIBU

Sochi - Curling - to pipe or not to pipe?

(17 Posts)
papaoscar Wed 19-Feb-14 10:35:31

Now I'm part Scottish and proud of it but I wonder why the British curling team are led in by a bagpipe band. I understand that the team members are Scottish, but must point out that they are competing as Britons. So why don't we have a troupe of Morris Dancers, an Irish Ceildh band and a Welsh harpist joining in to help the GB team forward to curling victory?

Elegran Wed 19-Feb-14 10:47:51

Why not indeed. It might help us get more gold medals.

Soutra Wed 19-Feb-14 10:53:36

Or maybe use the pipe band for the other events too as our secret weapon!

Cressida Wed 19-Feb-14 11:22:10

It's not just the team members who are Scottish. Curling originated in Scotland so it seems appropriate that it's origins are celebrated by a pipe band.

ginny Wed 19-Feb-14 11:37:10

It's to scare off the opposition,
No offence to Scots but the sound of bagpipes always sends me running.
grin

posie Wed 19-Feb-14 11:39:14

I love watching the events at Sochi but don't get curling at all.confused It all seems a bit pointless! [ducks down & hides]

tanith Wed 19-Feb-14 11:44:05

I find the constant yelling and talking very off putting I guess its essential but you don't hear it when watching things like green bowls . I agree with the pipes with everything , its very stirring even though there is no Scot in me that I know off... bit of Welsh though grin

annodomini Wed 19-Feb-14 12:34:15

You don't have people brushing the green in lawn bowls. The shouting is to direct the players with the brushes. Why do I shy away from calling them 'scrubbers'? wink

tanith Wed 19-Feb-14 12:40:12

But they do direct the bowler and give info about the lie of the Jack etc.in bowls but do it without all the hooha and in a normal voice I just don' t get all the screaming.

Granny23 Wed 19-Feb-14 13:40:48

Tanith You are not taking account of the noise that the curling stones make as they hurtle down the ice. Not like bowls which are silent until they make that satisfying dull noise when they connect. Curling is not called the 'Roaring Game' for nothing grin

soop Thu 20-Feb-14 12:42:40

Granny23 I lurve curling. Well done Eve and her team. Tears of relief and joy! flowers

merlotgran Thu 20-Feb-14 16:03:19

Yes! Well done, those girls. And the men yesterday, of course!!

PRINTMISS Fri 21-Feb-14 08:32:30

I am with you soop and merlotgran, well done the girls, and indeed the men - let's celebrate without harping shall we - indeed let's nlow our own pipes!

Agus Fri 21-Feb-14 09:54:56

I second that PRINTMISS excellent result and a fair bit of screaming in this house. Understandable when it's for an Olympic medal.

papaoscar Fri 21-Feb-14 18:07:27

Well shiver ma' brushes and 'an rattle your rocks
We've come back from Sochi wi' great silver socks
Bronze in our sporrans, and and a big bag of pride
So blow on those pipes and let no one deride
The bonnie Scots heroes who fought the contest
And won thru' at last to be good as the best..well, almost!

Anon.

soop Sat 22-Feb-14 12:40:56

grin papaoscar I like it! Thank you.

Granny23 Sat 22-Feb-14 16:36:28

But what is all this 'the girls' and 'the MEN'. hmm A bit of equality please. Either the girls and the boys or the men and the women or even, in this instance the Lads and the Lassies grin.