Gransnet forums

AIBU

Gardener

(59 Posts)
Flowerofthewest Sun 09-Mar-14 23:31:53

...to expect my gardener NOT to put clods of earth in my 'Brown Bin'. I thought he would know it is not the place for soil. The bin is so heavy DH couldn't move it and complained to me!!! I was away in Lyme Regis for a break with dear Mr Gardener decided to drop his load in my brown bin. I now have to pull all of the soil and clods of earth out and find somewhere for the stuff while Mr G suns himself in Tenerife Grrrrrr.

sunseeker Tue 11-Mar-14 16:35:53

I do have a gardener as I don't know a daisy from a dandelion!! I am fortunate in that he used to be head gardener on a big estate so knows a thing or two about plants. I don't give him instructions - just leave him to get on with whatever needs doing. I love the garden to look neat but hate doing any actual work in it. grin

granjura Tue 11-Mar-14 17:47:15

We have those insulated compost bins, as it means worms can keep active in the bins throughout the winter. I scrunch up lots of newspaper to add as a top layer late autumn before the heavy frosts come.

We never use cooked foods remains in compost heaps so as not to attract vermin- but we noticed this winter hare tracks coming to the wire compost bins regularly- and even since put a carrot out for him. Never caught a glimse- and would love to- snow hare would be a wonderful sight. Their tracks are so easy to spot, and show up as a triangle, 1, 1, 2, 1, 1, 2- and unmistakable.

rosequartz Tue 11-Mar-14 18:02:12

Mice OK Jings, their bigger cousins no no!! (which is what we had when we put the veggie peelings on there)

Charleygirl Tue 11-Mar-14 18:53:15

rosequartz I was pleased to notice that you qualified what was ready and waiting and also what was maturing. I am not a gardener but I lik eto see a tidy one.

Galen Tue 11-Mar-14 19:08:44

Our brown bins are for food waste?

granjura Tue 11-Mar-14 19:16:49

No bins, no collection here ;)

rosequartz Tue 11-Mar-14 19:56:19

Well, have to admit DH does most of it, I couldn't cope with it all myself, but I like doing the pots, the flower beds, a little bit of veggie gardening (and picking and eating the fruit).

granjura Tue 11-Mar-14 20:00:31

OH never had time for gardening or decorating- so I had to turn to the Little Red Hen- or it didnt' get done.

Flowerofthewest Tue 11-Mar-14 20:02:19

Ours are for garden waste, maybe that's what confused the poor guy.

granjura Tue 11-Mar-14 20:06:58

And now for the million dollar question- what is he doing sunning himself in Tenerife without you ???

No bins for anything here- we have to take bins and all recycling to the local bins- no collection at all. So composting makes a lot of sense for one more reason. And all our waste is weighed at the bins and weight registered and billed accordingly smile (hey this is Switzerland after all)

Flowerofthewest Tue 11-Mar-14 22:19:54

Because we have only just met granjura and we are only on speaking terms. I 'borrowed ' him from my friend who says he has transformed her garden which is 3x the size of mine. I live in hope.

Flowerofthewest Tue 11-Mar-14 22:22:10

I did mean 'when' dear Mr Gardener was in Tenerife,and not 'with' I was in Lyme Regis with my dear friend Liz and my DH was at home supposedly keeping an eye on Mr Gardener.

Hope this is all clear now. confused

annodomini Tue 11-Mar-14 22:41:06

My Mr Gardener hoed up a lot of sticy weed last week and has a whole lot of work to do on those pestiferous Spanish bluebells. He was rather taken with my masses of hellebores - I seem to have about a dozen, having started with two.

annodomini Tue 11-Mar-14 22:41:25

sticy sticky

granjura Wed 12-Mar-14 15:13:40

Ooops Flowerof the west, I thought it was YOUR Mr sunning himself in Tenerife without you, not Mr Gardener smile Ah, well, maybe next year ;)

Flowerofthewest Wed 12-Mar-14 22:41:54

Not a chance, I was sunning myself in Lyme Regis with my friend Liz. Mr FOTW was at home keeping a not too successful eye on Mr Gardener.

granjura Wed 12-Mar-14 22:47:17

LOL- I can't do drinks, flowers, etc- as my keyboard does not have square brackets but I can do smilies smile

merlotgran Wed 12-Mar-14 22:49:18

I'm chuckling over the fact that Mr. FOTW complained to you that he couldn't move the bin because it was too heavy when he was supposed to be keeping an eye on Mr. Gardener while you were in Lyme Regis.

MEN! hmm

Flowerofthewest Wed 12-Mar-14 23:04:53

merlotgran grin

I am rather thrilled with my newly dug beds though. Lavender hedge and spring plants. We only have a small front garden but it does make a difference. I may forgive Mr Gardener.

granjura Thu 13-Mar-14 16:42:59

Been digging out a new raspberry bed today- back breaking work- then attempt to get as much soil as poss from the clods of grassy earth to return to the bed- and the rest went into the wheelbarrow and spread among 2 compost bins for a good layer- quite a few worms too, so they will begin to work straightaway-bless their non-cotton socks.

Ana Thu 13-Mar-14 16:52:48

granjura, you could copy and paste the word and its brackets from the list below if you want to add flowers etc. to a post! smile

granjura Thu 13-Mar-14 17:05:01

type flowers

granjura Thu 13-Mar-14 17:05:50

Hey- it works- thanks smile sunshine

Ana Thu 13-Mar-14 17:06:41

smile

TriciaF Thu 13-Mar-14 17:26:09

Amazed at this thread, apart from granjura.
What's a gardener?
I planted a row of potatoes today - preparing soil etc it took me nearly 2 hours and I was k.......d.