Gransnet forums

AIBU

To expect my window cleaner to clean ALL my windows?

(56 Posts)
janerowena Wed 02-Apr-14 13:57:01

My usual window cleaner is currently away in Afghanistan, a reserve for the Air Force. He is a good-looking charmer, a local lad, really lazy and not very bright but everyone uses him because they all know him/his mother/his wife and DBH plays cricket with him so I can't face getting rid of him. He gives the windows a mere spit and polish and just takes the worst off. He always misses out one window round the side and I have got fed up with reminding him about it, so simply refused to give him more money when he asked for it, and if I am out when he comes round he often misses out another couple that are harder for him to get to, due to plants.

So his replacement turned up this morning. He cleaned meticulously at the front, I was in heaven and wondering how to get him to stay on instead of James. Dreaming of offering him more money.

Then he came round the back. He didn't clean the French windows, and neither of the two back upstairs Velux widows. I was stunned. The ones he has done are excellent, but I certainly shan't offer him more money!

But then I thought, maybe it's about the money? Should I be offering more? I am paying £15, but it only takes about half an hour at most and they work their way up the lane from house to house, so aren't wasting time.

janerowena Fri 11-Apr-14 15:33:43

Or we could all just have dusty windows!

And do you know, I didn't have a contract with my last builder, two years ago. He came highly recommended, so just let him get on with it! All I have is his written quote, and receipt for payment.

Maybe that's what we need from window cleaners, a written quote and statement of what exactly they are prepared to do. And a receipt.

Purpledaffodil Thu 10-Apr-14 19:53:07

Seven largish 1950s size windows , French doors and two patio doors £25. I thought that was standard these days, but live in Surrey where anything service based seems to be sky high because rents/ house prices are high and people have to live.
Someone else made the point that it is a popular recession occupation and I think that is the case round here. Also gardening, although that takes more equipment and hopefully knowledge.
Have no head for heights and hate grubby windows, so no b. Option but to pay up.

felice Tue 08-Apr-14 22:12:01

I am sure if you employ a builder you have a contract with them, which means their terms and conditions and insurances are all written in. Would you be prepared to sign a contract with a window cleaner,,,, I don't think so,,,,,,
Surely velux windows are always set into a sloping space, that is their function.?
you can go up a ladder as high as you want, I hope you are going to pay for the lost earnings of the window cleaner you insist on climbing up to clean your windows.
When X had the company it was above first floor windows not ground floor.

janerowena Tue 08-Apr-14 18:07:15

Our velux windows are low, not high. I wouldn't expect anyone to go up to above second floor height on just a ladder!

It's good to have some info from the other side. But I do wish my window cleaner had told me all that, and it's pretty obvious I'm not the only one who was unaware of them not being supposed to use a ladder above ground floor height. We still have builders in this area working from ladders to fix rooves, and I used ladders to prune back roses and climbers from great heights when I was a gardener. I suppose if they use the pole cleaning system, it will cost them far more in equipment wear, but all they need is perhaps a stepladder. If that.

felice Tue 08-Apr-14 14:38:59

Agree with susieb755, my X had a contract cleaning company which included window cleaning. He had complaints about flattened plants when the ladders had to be stood in flower beds also the cleaners, and windows half covered in climbing roses, almost impossible to clean and then complaints. velux windows no way, that is on the roof, and no insurance for that. We lived in the N.E. Scotland and his insurance only covered below certain wind speeds, so lots of days of no work.
He would never ever take business for inside windows, far too many risks, even wet carpets could be claimed for.
I am sure susieb755 and I could tell you a lot more. Respect please folks they may not be heart surgeons but they are doing a job.

susieb755 Mon 07-Apr-14 22:50:38

BTW you are not supposed ot work off ladders above one story anymore either !

susieb755 Mon 07-Apr-14 22:49:10

My husband is a window cleaner, and uses the water fed pole system, he is a window cleaner, not a glass cleaner, so does the frames etc.
Yes it may look easy, and he may not be there for as long as the old fashioned type, but he has to make the de ionised water, using a series of filters and resins, purchase the equipment ( a new pole and heads can cost around £2k annually ), pay for his petrol to get to you, pay tax and NIC, public liability etc, so please don't expect a professional service if you are not willing to pay a decent price.

anneey Mon 07-Apr-14 15:38:00

Having told you my charges, I wouldn't be surprised if mine goes up.
Has been £9 for 2yrs.

janerowena Mon 07-Apr-14 14:40:14

Now I really do feel ripped off, smileless! Because you have roughly the same as me.

Anneey, that is reasonable for London. People need to charge more for work there, just to be able to pay their own living expenses.

When I didn't have a window cleaner, I used to clean them properly myself in the Spring, and after that just squirt them all with the hosepipe outside, and do the insides properly as they needed it. I think I shall just have to pluck up the courage to give mine the heave-ho when he gets back, but I shall wait until after Christmas. He has two small children and I would feel too guilty, just in case the whole village also decides that we can manage better without him.

anneey Mon 07-Apr-14 10:24:45

You made me chuckle tiggypiro.
Mine charges £9..... I give him £10. For the front of the house only.
2 Bays plus 1 and Front door.
He comes every 2 months. I consider fairly reasonable for London.

Smileless2012 Mon 07-Apr-14 09:20:32

Ooh ladies, there appears to be quite a few criminals out there masquerading as window cleaners hmm. Nine windows, two french doors, sills and frames every four weeks regular as clock work for £5.50

tiggypiro Mon 07-Apr-14 07:56:44

My window cleaner only needs a cup of tea as payment but I have to say they are not done as often as they should be. Cleans the frame work too AND the inside and all for a cup of tea !

Don't get too jealous though ladies. The window cleaner is ME !

janerowena Sun 06-Apr-14 23:04:35

I don't understand why more women don't start up window-cleaning services. A couple of young mums fitting it in around school runs could make a fortune, and would probably be more trusted, too. Trusted to clean the windows properly and be more straightforward right from the start as to what they were prepared to do for the money. Heights never bothered me, I have painted my own houses and pruned many a wall-climbing plant, but I suppose I was always brought up to think of it as a man's job, for some reason.

Ladders are lightweight aluminium now, you can get safety stops to stop them slipping, and some very good cleaning tools.

goldengirl Sat 05-Apr-14 14:46:01

Ah but did you ask for a refund annodomini for the entertainment you gave him? You must have made his day grin

annodomini Fri 04-Apr-14 18:13:18

Some of you may remember the occasion when my window cleaner arrived outside my bedroom window to find me wearing only a towel - fortunately a very large one! Surprisingly, he didn't charge me extra for the shock!

AlieOxon Fri 04-Apr-14 17:48:32

I am a bit sorry for my sister's window cleaner, as she has a lot of windows and they all have very small panes - I asked her if she got charged by the pane!
Surprisingly, no.

goldengirl Fri 04-Apr-14 17:31:35

This thread has reminded me of when I was a little girl of about 3 or 4. I used to follow the window cleaner round from room to room so every time he climbed his ladder and peered in, there I was peering out. He must have done both sides - the windows opened right out and I delighted in telling him my version of all our business! It must have driven him mad but He must have learned an awful lot about us eg when we were going to decorate the house or buy something!!!

Nonu Thu 03-Apr-14 20:54:33

We had awindow cleaner several years back till he retired, there were a Lot of windows , he cleaned inside and out and charged £20.
looking back it was a bargain , even he got on my nerves with his Yapping
grin

goldengirl Thu 03-Apr-14 20:48:09

I'm not sure I would employ a window cleaner even if I could find one - in case they might be casing the joint! Call me suspicious but having spent many years working with some of our criminal fraternity I've developed rather a warped view of human nature hmm

janerowena Thu 03-Apr-14 11:20:13

Thank you!

annsixty Thu 03-Apr-14 10:54:21

Found it now, it is in House and Home,window cleaning systems.

annsixty Thu 03-Apr-14 10:47:12

Yes it is jane r I have tried to find the thread with no luck so far.

janerowena Thu 03-Apr-14 10:08:02

You are indeed. I envy you.

I wonder if that's the hand held one, annsixty? Much cheaper, I was quite tempted.

Iam64 Thu 03-Apr-14 10:03:14

We pay £6.50 for the conservatory and 8 windows. Fortnightly visits, and always friendly. I do tip at Christmas and after reading this, feel fortunate to have someone so likeable and reliable

annsixty Thu 03-Apr-14 09:43:40

There is a Karcher just for windows which has been very well recommended on another thread.